current

Chricton ' s Timeline pretty good.

A feast of crows by xmas I hope by george r r martin

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Currently reading Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell", on Tully's recommendation.

Also recently read Alastair Reynolds' "Century Rain", which was enjoyable but not as good as his previous stuff.

Finished King's final "Dark Tower" book a week or two ago, too, really great stuff. I'm not sure if I like the ending or not... I'm leaning towards liking it. The whole series was great, though.

Need to get my hands on the new Discworld novel... I hate buying hardbacks, though. I guess I'll have to wait, or go to the library.

I kinda want to read Robert Rankin's "Witches of Chiswick" again soon, it's a totally brilliant book - completely insane, but hilarious and very engaging.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    MoP I just got dn w DT 1 - great stuff - looking fwd to other 5. smile.gif

Might try king's short stories too.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Fast Food Nation
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Monsoon by Wilbur Smith
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im holding George R.R. Martin at gun point right now while hes reading feast of crows to me.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GRRM will be in denver for book signing in november - shame I cant get off work.

hodor hodor hodor hodor
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    This year of my life is all about finishing stuff I started.

After three attempts, I finally made it through Thomas Pynchon's "V.". I feel good about that, even though I still have no idea what the fnucking halaal it was about. Not that I'm alone in that. After a while I guess I'll try 'Gravity's Rainbow' again.

Now I'm about to finish off Harlan Ellison's 'Dangerous Visions' anthology, a collection of SF that was edgy around the time I was born, i.e. almost four decades ago. I started reading it almost two decades ago. That Ellison certainly works himself into a lather about how edgy they all are.

/jzero
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished The Vesusvious Club by Mark Gatiss - imagine if PG Wodehouse had written the James Bond novels.

NOw I'm reading Brideshead Revisited.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enders Game is awesome Jzero by orson card.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Waiting for "Engaging the Enemy" by Elizabeth Moon, who I love.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im holding George R.R. Martin at gun point right now while hes reading feast of crows to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it actually finally out?! We've been waiting for several years now...
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    currently reading The Acid House by Irvine Welsh for the 2nd time- next is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ryno: Seems it's not out until October 17th... that's what Amazon UK is telling me, anyway. I haven't read any of them, but that series seems to be highly recommended - I'll take a look as soon as I have the time/money smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman. Funny stuff.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road'
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Ulysses by James Joyce.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    500 Five Ingredient Recipes by Better Homes and Gardens
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    The Art of Darkwatch
    Perdido St. Station - China Meiville
    Old National Geographics from the past two years
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished Ice Station by Matthew Rielly the other day. First time I've read a book of that genre. It was a fast read, which is good, because I'd run out of interest if it was a long/slow book.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Last thing I read was Dante's Inferno. Which is a masterpiece.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (I love the Ender series!!!!). I also finally got around to starting the first book in the Wheel of Time series, but it hasn't pulled me in yet (and I'm half way through it), so I've moved on to Discworld by Terry Pratchett which is much better imo.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll point out that if anyon else is plannin on reading anything by Dan Brown, don't bother. The guy really really really cannot write. The daVinci code did well because the topic was interesting, but the man is a talentless hack.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    on my immediate to read list are:

Slaughterhouse-five by Kurt Vonnegut
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice
    Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (need to get these read before the movie)
    all 6 Harry Potter novels (again) before the Goblet of Fire movie
    and finally finish up the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'll point out that if anyon else is plannin on reading anything by Dan Brown, don't bother. The guy really really really cannot write. The daVinci code did well because the topic was interesting, but the man is a talentless hack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well someone at work made me read Angels and Demons and then the Davinci Code. I liked them mainly because of the topics. But I'm not a big fan of his characters and if you continue to read more of his works like Digital Fortress and Deception point you'll realize that he uses the same exact outlines and what happens to his character... Also, every single main female character is apparently a hot piece of ass, and she hooks up with the main male character (who doesn't need to be attractive at all) at the end of each book... so even if she has a few friends and family die she's still in the mood to do a man she's only known for 24 hrs at the end of the adventure. LOL... what a slut!

Asherr - I need to read Eragon... heard its suppose to be great. OH, and Douglas Adams is brilliant! If you haven't yet, I suggest reading the rest of his HGTTG books (restaraunt at the end of the universe, life the universe and everything, etc). One of the main reasons I'm loving Discworld so far is because it has the feel of HFTTG.

oh and by "read" I mean "listen to" lol... I don't have time, I'm always working in front of the computer so I'm an audiobook junkie.... much better then listening to the same ol' music over and over.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Reading The Confusion by Neal Stephenson (author of Cyrptonomicon and Snow Crash. It's the second book in his Baroque Cycle. The third book awaits the completion of the second.

Recent Reads:
    Whispering Nickel Idols by Glen Cook
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Paul: Damn good read that is. I've read the series already, well worth the time it takes (about two weeks for me).
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished Chuck Palahniuk's "Nightmare" and "Stranger than fiction." Just started reading orwell's 1984. I know I'm a little late in reading that one, but better than never reading it at all. I am still awaiting the rerelease of Steve Alten's original "Meg" novel. Supposed to be additional chapters and some revisions. I guess it's to prepare for the theatrical release next year.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    "With Sword and Fire!' by Henryk Sinkiewicz (sic) and 1888 Historical romance about the fall of the Polish Commonwealth just after the 30 years war. From the same author as Quo Vadis

Scott
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. (smart writing style, 2 stories running through eachother, with a cliffhanger on the end of each chapter)
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines and HG Wells' War of the Worlds and The Time Machine, and about to start on Bram Stoker's Dracula.
    Ploughing through a shedload of Victorian lit after reading Jess Nevins' annotations to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
    Me = Big ol' geek...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SMART WRITING STYLE? Ye gods, it would insult a 12 year old. I even hold J.K. Rowling in MUCH higher esteem as a writer than him.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Dan Brown is a fine writer, but it's true that I wouldn't call his writing style 'smart'. His content can be interesting in some aspects and very cliched in others.

I had a hard time getting through Stephenson's The Confusion. I will finish it though. William Gibson's new book reminds me a bit of Crytonomicon (although not nearly as good). It is called Pattern Recognition and it is worth reading.

I also read Harry Potter and Guns Germs Steel recently.

Anybody know of another cyber punk author in the same style as Gibson/Stephenson? Sometimes when I pick stuff up at random, it turns out to be unreadable dogshit.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Douglas Coupland's Microserfs is a cool book about a bunch of gigs that work at Microsoft. I like all his books.
    Brett Easton Ellis's Galmourland is good too. Bit disturbed though.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Finished the third Stephen King book in the "Dark Tower" trilogy - "The Wizard and the Glass" ... I found myself struggling to complete this one and only found myself enduring to read it because the other's before it were really good. After god-knows-how-many pages I finished it ...and it was indeed shit all the way through until the very last bit. Can anyone give me a heads up on the rest of the books in the series as I feel that this one could have done with some SERIOUS editing... I really wanna see them get to the Dark Tower though!

Also read The Wasp Factory by Iain. M. Banks which was really good but the twist at teh end was rubbsih and unneeded in my opinion.

Went to Barcelona for a week and got myself through some Philip K Dick classics: "Valis" (which was great and really reminded me of Grant Morrison's: "The Invisibles" - yeah, we know where YOU stole your ideas from Grant wink.gif ), "UBIK" and "The Galactic Pot Healer", which, although having stoopid names, were really good. Im definately going to be investing in some more of his works.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    FAT_CAP: I agree the 3rd and 4th books do get a bit boring, but it really picks up again at Wolves of the Calla (5th book, I believe).
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas -- not sure where you're at in Confusion, but it picks up speed later on. I'm nearly done with it and look forward to starting System of the World.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really wanna see them get to the Dark Tower though!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, too. Unfortunately, I actually finished the series and think the conclusion of The Dark Tower was about the most unsatisfying piece of fiction I have ever read.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm - cheers MOP - I might just skip the 4th and jump straight onto the 5th then as the synopsis of the 4th 9Wolves of ...whatever... cant remember now) looks like more of the same old same old wink.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Heinlein, and Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley.

Frank the Avenger
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nearly finished Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash. Seeing as some of you are evidently fans, any recomendations on what I move onto next?
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was happy w Eragon though it was simple appeared to be lifting ideas in heavy amounts from jrrt & grrm. One part of it made me almost cry. I just finised all the LOTR in august, now have to watch the dvd's next. smile.gif

I think the tower series changed cos of King's accident when was injured.

Lots of ideas for me for alt reading. Skrubbles i am an audio freak - about 2 to 3 hrs a day. part lunch hour n commute. hehe

Intensity by dean koontz was awesome too! I gotta check out more of OSC.

Wheel of time sounds good for 2006,but so many have told me online to run away fr RJ.
    :shrugs.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ther reason why people are telling you to run away from Jordan is because the saga isn't finished yet... and there's no end in site... and its been in production for like 20 years (or something like that). I've heard the first 6 books are great and it goes downhill after that. Seems like he's purposely stretching it out as much as he can because he know people will buy every book... and the only reason people are still buy is because they've invested so much time that they want to know the ending.

So I have WOT on hold for now... not gripping yet, and if its suppose to be tedious later on then what's the point of forcing myself to get sucked in?
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes first feasible reason i 've heard yet & makes sense

the amber series was the same 1 - 5 great 5-10 medium to poor.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    21st Century Game Design by Chris Bateman and Richard Boon -- HIGHLY recommended for basically everyone in the industry.

also about halfway through the complete collected short stories of Raymond Chandler; after that I'll probably read the collected short work of Ernest Hemingway.

After that i'm looking at Don Quixote or Dante's Inferno.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Quixote is SUPERB

As is Life of Pi

And Trainspotting since I'm recommending
    And Catch 22
    And The Three Muskateers
    And The Count Of Monte Christo

The worst "classic" I've read recently is Treasure Island. Sorry Robert, it was laboured.

Oh, and you havent read "To Kill A Mockingbird" then you are missing one of the greatest novels ever written.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    After Snow Crash, I would just run through them in chronological order- That mean Diamond Age next, and then Cryptonomicon
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Rick: I've definitely been interested in Irvine Welsh's work for some time now--once I clear some room on my plate I think I'll read Trainspotting and others of his. Damn Amazon for making this stuff so easy to keep track of and then acquire smile.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    After Snow Crash, I would put Stephenson away. The Diamond Age had some interesting parts, I got halfway through Cryptonomicon; he's trying to make statements now, instead of stories. Take all the linguistics pieces of Snow Crash and make them the vast majority of the book, and you have the equivalent.

The Three Musketeers was very different from any film version I've seen...more different than I even expected. It was good, but it's a political intrigue story, not an adventure (as films like to portray it).

I've been making my way through the classics. smile.gif Dracula was great, but was a bit tough to read, as it was written as a collection of diaries and letters. Frankenstein so far is just way melodramatic.

Frank the Avenger
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have war of the worlds & tome machine on my bookcase, guess that is close to classic.

My SO is obsessed with murder mystery. shrugs.