Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sean's daily zbrushing.

Sean McBride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
Well, i've finaly made the plunge and i'm going to be at it hardcore. Studying anatomy and zbrush at the same time. I probobly have a mid to low level knowledge of zbrush so i'm able to easily navigate the menus but i'm not sure of all the amazing features that zbrush has to offer. smile.gif

Anyway, I started yesterday. I'm going to try every weekday to do at least one object or improve upon an object in zbrush. I want to expand my knowledge of anatomy which is ... to be honest not so hot. Please, crit and bust my chops as much as you'd like. I'm not sensative to crits so you can be blunt. Anyway, on with the stuff.

Yesterdays:
th_demon_wip05_small.jpg

I didn't use any of the inflate, or pinch tools and it really shows. wink.gif

Todays:
th_9-2-05_2.jpg
th_9-2-05_1.jpg

Yes I know he has a gaping hole in the back of his arm. wink.gif I wanted to get some crits on the arm before I did the final res.

laugh.gif Thanks.

Replies

• Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    looking nice dude but use the pinch tool because It's one of the coolest sculpting tool on zbrush, really helps to sharp edges!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ramucho. smile.gif I did use the pinch tool on the arm and i'll be messing around seeing how to use it more effectivly as time goes on. smile.gif

God I love normal maps. 400 tris.
    th_9-2-05_3.jpg

[edit] Textured it too heh. I'm happy with it.
    th_9-2-05_5.jpg

[edit] seems photobucket is going up and down so i moved my images.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the head reminds me of the gatekeeper and the key from ghostbusters :P

it looks awsome, i should really practice more...
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gir. smile.gif

Hrmm... not exactly getting much responce. Nobody found anything wrong with the arm? wink.gif

Here's todays/yesterdays. Kinda worked on it on and off. Its my first dragon. Kinda looks wimpy from the side. frown.gif

th_9-3-05_2.jpg
    th_9-3-05_3.jpg
    th_9-3-05_5.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looking a little bumpy dude.. to rid yourself of the bumps.. goto the stroke drop down and crank up the STROKE AVERAGE.. this is a life saver.. i use about 3
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    hey,m i'm just learning zbrush myself and it seems you are doing something that i keep having to fight myself about, its so easy to just run and detail all over everything, but if you are not carefull it ends up looking like a bunch of lumy clay, so what i end up doing is doing the crazty clay stuf, then go back for each area and refine it, add some sharp lines and creases in, try not to just pile in detail for details sake, lookin good tho keep at it
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    under transform is the option to use smooth. a major lifesaver.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looking a little bumpy dude.. to rid yourself of the bumps.. goto the stroke drop down and crank up the STROKE AVERAGE.. this is a life saver.. i use about 3

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about in projection master correct? cause that's the only time I see those option in the stoke panel.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your right rhino. I need to go back over and refine quite a few edges to make them stand out more. Some of him was supposed to be somewhat lumpy he's just not a super edgy dragon. The lines on the forhead and the eyebrows need to be cleaned up quite a bit. smile.gif

Arshlevon/keg: I dont see the stroke average either. I see a mouse stroke average. I'm using a tablet does this even apply for a wacom?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yar, she's a bit bumpy. Looks like fun practice, though.

I need to get zbrush frown.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah its the mouse average.. and yes it works with a tablet..and no it not just for projection master... give her a try.. i got this tip from a gnomon DVD the human anatomy one.. and it really changed my work.. took lots of the bumps out.. just try it out.. i found it to be a life saver..
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks arshlevon. smile.gif I'll definitely give it a shot on my next piece.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    just work your way up the subdivision levels, it doesn't take alot of polys to define all the shapes you need, just try and go slowly from low to high, that should definitely help smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, your right v. I started using the pinch and smooth tools with the low first few levels. Thats what i was missing! I'm starting to understand how to create forms in zbrush but i'm sure you guys can still point out some flaws. Please do!

I started this guy as a halfling (the big nose and wide face)... ended up looking more like an old man. wink.gif Not done with him yet its just getting late so i'm going to hit the sack. He needs a couple more divisions i think. How many times do you guys subdivide? I think this is the 3rd.

th_9-5-05_1.jpg
    th_9-5-05_2.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks loads better man.. looks like your getting the hangle on this Zbrushin.. keep it up..
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    good thign going with a more human model, makes it a lot less easy to just throw a bunch of random lumps on it and pretend its detail, at least thats what i found out with my daredevil model, was spending more time making things smooth and sharp than lumpy, lookin good
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. smile.gif

finished up the zbrush model and quickly did a low poly and a texture for him. In retrospect i should have toned down the pink on the cheeks. wink.gif Yes, i need to clean up the normal map on the ear too. The low poly is just under 500 tris.

th_9-5-05_6.jpg
    th_9-5-05_FS.jpg
    th_9-5-05_4.jpg
    th_9-5-05_5.jpg

Normal mapped low poly rotation.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone took my jaw and i'm REALLY mad about it!

th_9-7-05_1.jpg
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Nice improvment
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Copying my style, eh? ¬_¬
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha accualy that head you've been working on reminded me of a part in "the grudge". I had accualy wanted to do something like that for a while and zbrush is just so freeing. ;D
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one! Getting better with each one.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joakim. smile.gif

Finished him! smile.gif Very happy with the way he turned out!

9-7-05_5.jpg9-7-05_4.jpg
    9-7-05_FS.jpg

Back to thinking about what I want to do next!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

nice maen! for a zombie, hes very photogenic ;D
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    dude that seriously kicks fuckin ass.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    This is a "self-portrait" isn't it?

Your gross dude, go get surgery

gj gj laugh.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ;D.

Wrote up a tutorial on how to bring models in and out of zbrush!

http://www.sean-mcbride.com/tut/zbrush_tut01.html

Also this quick guide to help get people going on the right track. smile.gif

QuickstartGuide.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So what exactly is the difference between inflate and the standard brush? I've only briefly fiddled with inflate but there doesn't seem to be any noticable change in effect between the two. ANd while I'm asking potentially dumb questions that I could probably work out if I bothered to do a little reading, is there and difference between the smooth brush and the shift->click smooth?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shift+click is the same as using the smooth tool its just the quick way of using it. smile.gif

The standard brush just pushes the verts outward as if you were putting bumps on the surface. Inflate not only pushes the verts outward, it also follows the normal of the vertex. So it has an "inflating" effect, just like if you blew up a balloon.
  • Titan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titan polycounter lvl 18
    great idea for a thread...hope you dont mind if I borrow the zbrush-sketchbook idea as well...nice work man...
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... i've been kind of bummed out lately. When i'm bummed out it shows up very very well in my work... or my productivity rather... I feel as if i'm never going to accualy get INTO the industry you know? I've been doing this for so long and i'm... nowhere really. Not far from where i started job wise. Any of you have similar experiances working your way in? I've had absolutely no luck applying anywhere. No art test, no interviews, nothing. I can only sit around and work on my portfolio for so long before i start feeling like its all for nothing. I'm starting to feel like I need to invest my time in other things...

A couple of things ive done... first is a catman hybrid that ended up looking like ass heh. Probobly not going to finish this guy.

9-8-05_1.jpg

Second is one of the characters from a mod i'm working on. Forsaken.

civzbrushed.jpg
    th_NormalsTexture.jpg
    th_fskn_purity_090004.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good N3o. I'm sure this repetition is helping your stuff by leaps and bounds. One thing I've noticed about your work is that you don't use much subtlety. All the creases and ridges are deep. Try getting a little bit more smooth transitions and letting the grooves slowly fade along their length.

I bet forsaken is glad they have you!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Again, I think you need to re-focus your efforts.

Trying to get a first gig as a character modeler is typical of many people coming out of game schools.

Think about the odds. Your average game has probably 2-5 character/vehicle modelers and 10-20 environment artists.

It's much more difficult for me to find 5 good environment artists than it is to find one good character modeler.

Also, I know you have enough good stuff to show to make your web page more appealing. Take a break from the Zbrushing and spend a couple of hours updating your page. I'd be happy to give you some crits.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Also, I'd like to add that after having you do stuff for us I can guarantee you're going to do really well once you break in. But I knew that already back when you did that Thommy gun in something like a day or two wink.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words Joakim. smile.gif Means alot. I'll definantly reorganize my portfolio and add a bunch of that env stuff. I wouldn't mind working as an environmental artists as long as i was supplied with concepts of what they needed. I'm horrible with coming up with concepts for environments.

Ben: Yeah, I see what your saying. I tried working on that in this next piece. It happens when I tired and a little bored but I guess I just need to take a step back from it when that happens. wink.gif You can see it happened again on the pants of this next chararacter. I'm going to come back and definantly soften up alot of this.

The pants are so unfinished but i'm really tired and figured i'd throw up a wip for you guys. The wrinkles didnt look that deep in zbrush hehehe. I'll go back over them and soften them up.

Vet_Wip05_Small.jpg
    Click image for bigger version.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn dude.. your getting good quick.. each one is much better than the last.. the pants do need work.. but really nice ..
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Work is looking great. And contrary to the very true advise that oKKun gave you about it being easier to break in as an environmental artist than a character artist, I believe if your heart is set on character art you should definatley pursue it. Plenty of these guys told me the same thing about my chances of breaking in as a character artist, but I stuck to my guns (as hard headed as it was) and broke in as a character artist working on a nex gen game so it does happen.

As far as the latest model you zbrushed I think its very solid. I think there are issues with the anatomy of the torso. Also I think the nipples are misplaced. As far as the cargo pockets go, you could get sharper edges around the pocket if you were to have built the geometry for the legs and pockets in max, turbo smoothed them and then exported to zbrush. This way when you use the smooth tool in zbrush it wont kill the edges of the pockets.

Keep up the great work man, you'll break in soon for sure if you do.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    You're lucky then Silva, or just damn good smile.gif

The reason I keep buggin him about this is that he's already done some environment contract work for us and he did a stellar job. Judging by his latest improvement on his characters I'm sure he would eventually get a character gig too. It all just depends on how much patience you have(and how deep your wallet is).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dang N30, that last model is darn good, though the biceps look far too bulgy for the rest of him.

Keep it up buddy!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. smile.gif I've been working on him a little bit here and there. Here's what i've got so far.

th_Vet_Wip06.jpg
    th_Vet_Wip07.jpg
    th_Vet_Wip07_3.jpg

Havn't gone back over the body one last time quite yet. smile.gif

I also relized something last night... apparently i've been watching to much PrisonBreak. wink.gif New show on fox... pretty good you guys should check it out! I think he looks quite a bit like one of the main characters... total accident.

th_Prisonbreak.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm, no responce! ;D

~2800 polygons. He's Almost done texture wise.

th_Vet_Wip08_both.jpg

Some ingame shots of him as just a posed prop in halflife2:
    veteran_prop0000.jpgveteran_prop0001.jpg

Yes, I realize his wrist looks broken in that side picture... it was a quick pose. wink.gif I just wanted to see how he looked in source as it tends to water down normal maps.
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the model so far Sean! Do you know of any Half life 2 rigging tutorials? I also have a model I'm trying to get ingame.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    That's probly some of the quickest improvement I've seen in a while, hats off to you man. My biggest crit is the deltoid wraps over the tricept a little too sharply but wow I can't get over the improvements of the earlier stuff.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks.

Taimaishu, Here's an very broad tutorial on how to do it with a character studio rig. It wont work with the animations that come with the game though. Its the same idea. If you rig it to the rig they give you it should work just fine if you copy the SMD animations over from another model.

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_Characters_with_3dstudiomax_part_1

Bradfordart, The deltoid wrapping over is accualy the seam... max absolutely hates seams and its so irritating. I think i'm going to have to render it out with another normal map generater. Have any suggestions? I think i'm goign to try melody or something.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Get rid of the diaper! I haven't tried it yet but I heard Kaydara is supposed to work better with seams.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, okkun has a point, it kinda does look like he has a diaper :\...looks great otherwise though laugh.gif...some amazing stuff you got here

looks like that guy from Stargate SG1 when he has a hat on :x
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    okkun: Sure you don't mean Kaldera?

Nice work here, n30g3n3s1s! Definite good improvement.

I'd focus more on anatomy if you're gonna be doing half-naked guys and human faces though - the eyes in a few of the previous works have been a bit off, and this new guy's abs are totally crazy... but the overall look is still good.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that's it, I think Kaydara is the animation thingie, confusing.. :P
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    His jaw looks more cut in the mesh.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun: Yep, i agree about the diaper thing. Any ideas on how to get rid of that effect? it was suppose to be baggy pants that were accualy riding lower than his crotch (i wear my pants like this too)

Darth: Thanks. smile.gif

Mop: I agree about the eyes, the abs however i was looking at quite a few reference pictures and they are pretty spot on with the guys i was referencing from. Body builders mostly. I toned it done quite a bit though so he didn't look like he was on a rip diet. wink.gif

Weiser: its the lighting angle. wink.gif His jaw is still there.