Home General Discussion

How to pay a professional animator

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
Hello there!
This question is for people who already have some experience with animation in the industry. I would like to know how much an animator would earn per month on an average. I would also be interested in how contract work does work with animation. Is it usual to do animation as contract work?
Any help would be appreciated
Best regards

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Wages all depend on experience level. I've worked with some really hot anmators who pulled in six figures at a game job, and they deserved it. But the majority of animators in the business are younger guys, or guys that just want to makes games instead of movies. Those guys make closer to what normal 3D artists make; usually a little bit more.

The only time I've seen contract animation work in games is when we were doing cutscenes. We were running late and we needed the extra help. I've personally never seen a need contract out in-game animation work. Guess one of the main reasons for this is the amount tweaking and revision that happens for in game stuff. If youre making a 3rd person platformer, those animations on the main character are going to be redone a few times. For every new design feature thrown in, new anims are needed, so you usually want someone in house to get on that right away.

That being said, I guess you can contract out and pay per animation cycle you're requesting. I guess you just have to be really organized and know exactly which anmations you'll need. Hope that helps.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot FunkaDelicDass, that is exactly what I needed to know
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    LordScottish,

I have 3 different ways of charging clients.

Per Hour (I charge around $50)
    Per Animation (for games)(I charge between $25 and $50)
    Per Frame (for cinematics)(About $1 a frame per character)

The one I use the most is per hour. If you don't have any experience or a strong portfolio you should probably cut all my prices by a little more than half.

Try to get the client on AOL or ICQ and send them progress avi's once or twice a day. You will get frustrated with their comments.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you monster. It's a great help to get some examples from experienced people.
    I am in need of some examples for estimating the amount of money going into animation for a project. And I never worked in the animation part, so I appreciate your help!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I used to pay Monster his weight in hot pockets...or was that the concept guy? ...hm..

- BoBo
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Re. Hawken

At the rate monster quoted wouldn't it be very cost effective to farm out all the work for a game? A logistical nightmare, but the wages would be a fraction. Like any co. the wages are the highest expense.

I wonder if any has tried to make a game this way or at least did a cost plan.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Sett, Wideload games is doing that with that STubbs zombie game. They only have 5-6 people in house, the main leads and everything is farmed out. They are making a AAA title with this method.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used to pay Monster his weight in hot pockets...or was that the concept guy? ...hm..

- BoBo

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to eat Hot Pockets with all that lovely cooking Mrs. BoBo did.