Home Technical Talk

z-brush or z-brush?

Replies

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Pecker to me is Cock.

I've heard "keep your chin up", MAY have heard pecker but it doesn't seem to stand out..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'd never really even heard of zed, it's trivia as far as I'm concerned.
    Daz you should check out the microbrew scene.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've heard people (mostly in films) say "keep your pecker up" but i always thought they were being innapropriately rude for a Sunday afternoon.

btw, zee-brush sounds like something they give to kids to keep them amused in a hospital waiting room.

"Mummy, can i play on the fluffy pink zee-brush?"

"Yes, but you won't have long. The doctor will be ready soon to scoop out your skull with his hard, metallic, professional sounding and probably really rather expensive ZED-BRUSH, raaarrrgh"
  • Detritus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Detritus polycounter lvl 18
    on the matter of beer, There is nothing else like an in house bitter. American beer is good, but I treat it more as a soft drink than anything alcoholic.

it's a known that when you go to any GOOD local pub, the meal will almost definately be a pie and a pint. The trouble is, the are more and more of these ponced up wino "restaurant Pubs" whos atmospere becomes diluted, aswell as the drinks.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It's Zee brush m8, looks like your thread got sidetracked.
    I've never heard anyone call it Zed Brush.

r.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    But you live in a place where they don't speak proper like.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    you are all on the wrong track. The name for the tool was invented by an old german.

He wanted the call it "The Brush" but it was missunderstood by the americans at pixologic as "Zee-brush".
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    you are all on the wrong track. The name for the tool was invented by an old german.

He wanted the call it "The Brush" but it was missunderstood by the americans at pixologic as "Zee-brush".

[/ QUOTE ]

Your a little late Phil! Ha!
    Read my post above.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noooooo, kudos to you then smile.gif

I had a feeling someone might have brought that joke allready wink.gif I guess I should read through the whole threads in future laugh.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    But you live in a place where they don't speak proper like.

[/ QUOTE ]I speak perfect american, thank you.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_english

Now, lets stay traditional and remember where your roots are. BRITIAN, ... so speak british. Shesh, no respect for the queen.

I mean, do you know what zee germans (JO420 brought the joke to, even better laugh.gif) would do to me if they would find out I also speak a dialect, man I wouldn't be able to write this sentence.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no ties to britian. And anyway we fought a war to rid ourselves of the crown.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    claiming you speak "perfect american" is like saying you speak "perfect engrish"
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah Weiser you really do make me chuckle. In 2 posts you've managed to make up a language *and* a nation. Your jingoistic determination to steadfastly defend your great nation to the end, even when its beer is being criticized is just so, well, it's just so very quaint in this age of questioning and doubt. So perfectly charming smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, everyone knows we make the best beer.

At least theres one thing here we can lay to rest:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fuck Zed-Brush, how about 'Nike'..

'Nihk' here, but I here 'Nik-eeeeee' a lot on the radio and shit, its still 'Nihk', though.

[/ QUOTE ]Its ny-kee, as in Athena Nike, Greek godess of victory. Thankyou and goodnight.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And leave it to daz to mock my patriotism, I bet if I showed you pictures of my non-existent kids you spit on them.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe, I don't think daz has anything against patriotisme but I have to agree with him that you are overdoing it (like the beer defending issue), a good patriot should not be a blind one but one who keeps his eyes open for the "real" issues.

But you do seem a bit unsensitive towards sarcasme like shown in reaction his and my posts UNLESS you are beeing sarcastic then I guess we both (or at least me wink.gif ) have alot to learn from you.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Its ny-kee, as in Athena Nike, Greek godess of victory.

Wasn't Athena the goddess of wisdom?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nike, Greek goddess of training shoes.

Are we off-topic yet?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    'Zee' is probably the only change to English that American's have come up with that I actually like. Zed is so tedious and dull. It's such an oddball sound. We don't say Ced and Ded and Eed and Ged and Ped and Ted and Ved, why would we say Zed?

Zee suits the language much better.

I've never heard Athena being directly related to victory. Wikipedia, however, claims that Nike was somewhat merged with Athena on occasion, resulting in Athena Nike who carried the properties of both.
    It also says I, and everyone I've ever heard in my life, pronounce it wrong.

"Nee-keh"
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always thought it made a nice ending to the alphabeth

"x" "why" and "zed" End ... "x" "why" and "zeeeeee", like you are in a hurry running away and can't finish saying "zed"

oh my ears are allready hurting.

wink.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    For me, a brit, who doesn't really ever use 'zee', its a real oddball sound, too. It's kinda like 'ass' or 'airplane'. Ass lesser so when you say stuff like "you ass hole" its kinda like you stopped too soon. Airplane, thats just one plane (hehe) retarded sound. Aeroplane all the way baaaybee
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Well obviously "we" are right and "you" are wrong because what you call it is different than what we call it. I wonder what people in non-English speaking countries call it?

I'm just grateful for the equally absurd beer thread in GD that led me to seek out this thread. I honestly feel that I probably lost at least 10 IQ points between reading both threads. And I really didn't have 10 to spare in the first place! Thanks a bunch, people.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Nee-keh"

[/ QUOTE ]Interesting, I'll have to try out that pronounciation next time I'm buying hideously overpriced shoes.

At this point I'd like to make a baseless accusation, if I might. I think you yanks changed the name of the letter Zed to Zee just so that it would rhyme with Me and C to fit more nicely with, "Now I know my ABCs, won't you come and sing with me"
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Rick: Just because I live with them doesn't mean I've forgotten that clique should be pronounced the french way rather than 'click' as they say here.

I turn off my spelling checker on my email client so it doesn't wrongly change colour into color or grey into gray or colorise into colorize and so on wink.gif

r.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How often does clique come up in conversations in NC?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I say clee-shay

hell, let's just call it Zettbrush, ZetaBrush, or IzzardBrush and be done with it. Just be glad it's not oop-see-lohn-brush.

And it is Softemahj. And 3DS-lacks. laugh.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zetta sounds better than zed but if you know it's supposed to be said one way why not go with what the author intended? Why not rename a program that crashes a lot a somabitch?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ..way why not go with what the author intended?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wanted it said a certain way he'd have spelt it out ZeeBrush or w/e. As it is now, its 'Z2' or 'Zbrush' or 'ZSphere', its just a letter and a word. As brits 'Z' is 'ZED' not 'ZEE' so why the hell would we say zee?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you Europeans move points along the Zed/Zett axis?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Zed axis, yes. Ecks, Why, Zed.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ... and as everyone knows, Zee Axis liked to dress up in black uniforms and subjugate neighbouring countries.

And i think thats 3rd time lucky for that joke in this thread, isn't it?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    When I was in Australia last December, and they were calling for tickets for flights or something on the loud speaker, they would say "Zed-triplezero, Ay-one-zed"...I had no clue what the hell they were talking about.
    In the States its "Zee zero zero zero, Ay one zee"
    Z000 A1Z
    I thought I'd landed in the wrong country for a moment.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    "z-brush" is read 'zed' brush by britians and 'zee' brush by americans.

tom
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    KP: I disagree. Why the hell should I go out of my way to pronounce it 'Zee Brush' when I never ever say 'Zee'. Like I said earlier, if they wanted it respecting -- they'd have called it 'Zee Brush', then I'd say 'Zee Brush', but alas they don't. Zee Brush has no baring on other things for it to matter, its just pronunciation. When I say 'Z Brush' or 'Z2' its 'Zed Brush' or 'Zed2', not 'Zee', naturally. So naturally I'm going to go with what feels best.

if the shoe was on the other foot, and a game from Britain was named 'Z Tomato', would you seriously pronounce it 'Zed Tom-art-o'? I don't think so, you'd say it all 'Zee tom-ait-o', because it rolls off the tongue.

You talk about respect, but games such as 'The Movies' a game made at Lionhead refer to Autumn as Fall in their release stuff. That's not respect, thats a complete lack-of.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom: and that's perfectly fine with me if you call it whatever you wish to be honest.

however, i'm slightly confused at your assumption that i would refuse to pronounce a british made software the way it was intended. although i would most definately read it incorrectly, after being corrected, i would more than likely call it by its intended pronunciation - i had considered wearing your shoes before commenting and am a little offended by your accusation. i did say "the way a country pronounce their words", not, "the way america pronouces their words". i really don't think it was fair of you.

a british individual had mentioned "C-Brush" would have been the proper way for britians to pronounce their software as they had named it ("zee brush"). maybe they should have made a uk version.

so no, i'm not as ethnocentric as you think.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Killing I apologise for offending you, although I'm a little unsure of how, but w/e, I'm sorry.

Now the whole thing of "how THEY wanted it to be said" its a little loose at best. THEY say it that way because thats how THEY say it. Its like this:

American wants it to say 'zee brush' he puts down 'Z Brush' because its how he says 'Z'.

Brit wants it to say 'zed brush' and he puts down 'Z Brush' because thats how HE says 'Z'.

Now, this isn't about respect, or lack thereof, its about simple pronunciation of an alphabetical letter (as far as I'm concerned).

Now, back to my question -- if a brit made software called 'Z Tomato' would you pronounce it the brit way? You may say so, but in all fairness I wouldn't expect you to. You say tom-ay-to I say tom-art-o, its different. I wouldn't see why anyone would go out of their way. It doesn't mean shit in the end, Zed=Zee and vise-versa.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom: i just was hoping to someway settle the strange jestful arguements on the topic. and i was just slighty dissapointed at your judgement that i would do the same, you're still badass in my book. what people call it really is not important to me.[ QUOTE ]
    "that's perfectly fine with me if you call it whatever you wish to be honest"

[/ QUOTE ]

so, in regards to your question, like i said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    "although i would most definately read it incorrectly, after being corrected, i would more than likely call it by its intended pronunciation"

[/ QUOTE ]
    so applying my comment to your example of the brit software 'Z tomato' (intended to be called "zed tomato") i'd read it as "zee tomato" be corrected by someone that knows how it's pronounced and start calling it the correct term. if a friend that didn't mind me correcting them made the same mistake, i'd correct them and explain to them that in britian they pronounce their Z as zed.

it's like reading a book, you read a funky character name and pronounce it how it makes sense to you, then you happen to hear the author pronounce it different than you had been, and so i'd start pronouncing it their way. but again, if someone liked to say it a certain way by all means, go with that and at least know the way it was intended to be pronounced.

so ya, you had no need to appologize, it's all good.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just out of interest, kp, how do you pronounce Paris (the city)? smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we're talking about native vs. non-native pronunciations, what about Italy?

It bugged me when I was learning the language that the majority of Italian place names had been translated (badly) by the English-speaking world... Roma/Rome, Napoli/Naples, Venezia/Venice. So weird. I tried using the Italian names when I got back, but it sounded too goofy, as if I was pretending to be "worldy."

I'm curious if the British generally prefer the English names or the Italian ones?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or what about "Cologne" instead of "Köln"? "Prague" instead of "Praha"? "Budweiser" instead of "Budvar"?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly. I guess some are just hard to pronounce. Shanghai, Bombay, etc. But Italian seems so easy to pronounce, like Hawaiian.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Roma/Rome, Napoli/Naples, Venezia/Venice....

I'm curious if the British generally prefer the English names or the Italian ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I never knew that! In response, I use the Italian ways because I've grown up knowing Italian football teams, AS Roma, Napoli, etc-- same with Köln. This is especially true as I played Championship Manager (or now Football Manager) where football teams around the world can be at your beck and call as a manager, so you tend to pick up players/team names/etc.

Now, because I KNOW the Italian names doesn't mean I know what they are on a British Map.. (I didn't know Venezia was Venice, etc), so in that situation I'd just go by what is in front of me.

Mop: Paris for me is 'Par-is' although I know its 'Par-eh' (a really soft 'eh' that kinda drags).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    communication is teh funny. fo shizzle.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom: Par-eh sounds very wrong. it ends in much more of an "ee", like the e in "he", but somewhat shorter and snappier, allthough that depends largely on dialect, obviously.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    4 pages and still going strong!!!1

At work there is this huge people carrying contraption built into the building! It'll carry you all the way to the 4th floor so that you don't have to walk up the stairs! But wait, the best bit is, all my American friends call it an elevator but I call it a lift!!1 Ahah it's so totally whacky and awesome that we have different words for things and shit. It's almost like were from two different places!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 pages and still going strong!!!1

Up your posts per page, I only got two pages so far tongue.gif.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18