Home General Discussion

How did it feel when you got that first job ;)

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
Well How did it smile.gif. Was it better when you got the job, Or was it more emotional when you finished the job wink.gif.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Check the boards before posting dude, this is 2 threads below this one:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...;gonew=1#UNREAD
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit :-p, Ill make something intresting of this then smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I was like... shit man I'm in the industry now... sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • squatedbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    It was, and still is great! Guess I'm lucky to have landed in a very cool, small company, working on a very cool project.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    Unreal Editor : $30

3DSMax Classes : $400

Answering "level designer" when asked about your job title :

PRICELESS.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    for me it was like a feeling between extreme happiness and relief (after getting free from german military and after getting visa approval was such a mission) and sadness because i had to leave my friends and family behind and move across the ocean.... i've always wanted to live in north america so it was like a dream-come-true for me, especially in combination with getting a job in the games biz. But yeah, leaving people you care about always hurts.

But now I'm just glad I did it. smile.gifsmile.gif

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I was really *really* excited. i was also releived cuz I had been trying for a few months to land a game dev job. My goal to work in california with this kind of a position came true this year, and it felt really good. Not so much excitment as a relenquishing of some fears that simply aren't true.

I consider myself a very fortunate guy, i hope everyone witha desire and a work ethic can make it in this bizz. Few things can beat accomplishment for me. All talent aside; if you're willing to work hard and smart you can get what you need.

-R
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and a new one applied that was slightly less heavy. In all seriousness, it was great. It was one of those things you have a feeling about. I was joking around with AstroZombie the day before the interview about moving to LA and it ended up happening.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I cried a little. 'Happy tears' mind you, but I had worked on it pretty hard - taking a lot of time that could have been spent with Gail or my family/friends. So I was really relieved to finally hear the words, "We'd like to offer you the position."

Now, I'm really calm. Really, really calm. I am moving in 3 days to the other side of the continent to begin my new life and I couldn't feel better.

Good thread.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I just couldn't believe it. I was over the moon. Bullfrog were the pioneers of the industry in those days. I was working for the absolute cream of the crop. And then they got bought by EA. That was a long time ago, and now I want do something else smile.gif
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    now I want do something else

[/ QUOTE ]

becoming a stuntman is the only logical way forward after game development!!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i dunno really. I wasn't trying desperately to get into games or even graphics, it was just one of the many things i thought i could have a crack at when i left uni. So i did.

i suppose what i felt most was relief, that my degree came in useful in landing the job (i had no 3D skills at all and only a smattering of photoshop) and i wasn't wasting the product of 4 years of my life working in a pub or temping or something.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I was still in school, junior year, but already stressing about the job market when graduation time came. I was applying for internships over the summer, and one company told me they weren't interested in interns, but they would hire me full time as a junior artist if I came RIGHT THEN. So I quit school and moved in a period of one week, from when I sent the email, to when I was in the Uhaul heading to Austin. It was such a sudden thing, I didn't have too much time to stress out. That was about three months after I made the decision to go into games. Prior to that I had wanted to be an animator and had never modeled or textured before.

When they offered me the job I was super excited. I knew I wanted to go and perform as best as I could and I feel like I really took advantage of the oportunity.

That was over two years ago, and I'm still super jazzed about making games.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Firstly Excitement

Then relief, worked at this for many years to finally make it, i started art school with 60 other 3d animation majors,over 2 years drugs,jail,death, financial issues,pregnancy or flat out quitting took down the number of students Dramaticlly and i ended up graduating with 3 other students and out of those other 3 im the only one who is working in 3d,then i spent close to years working in various non game related 3d jobs improving my abilities while trying vto break in, im so glad i was stubborn about all the times i was tempted to quit.

Now that i am in my focus is on improving and staying in and becoming the best artist i can be.

Feels good to work your ass off doing something and to actually accomplish something.

Oh yeah a few days ago i reminded my parents about the comment they made while i was in high school " Stop playing those stupid games thy will never get you anywhere"

that was fun
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    At first I was excited because it would be my first 'real' job in the industry. But that excitement quickly faded when I realized that poopinmymouth would be there too. mad.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I felt like a freakin man.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    At first I was excited because it would be my first 'real' job in the industry. But that excitement quickly faded when I realized that poopinmymouth would be there too. mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

8-(
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stories guys, Really touching laugh.gif!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Getting jobs has never been anything but stress and difficulty for me, as carving out a career here requires my constantly swimming upstream. I don't think most full-time freelancers ever stop feeling like they're walking on eggshells, though, as it seems part and parcel of what comes with living on contract.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I was shellshocked for a while, actually. Even still, I've had the misfortune of working on pure crap (Castles & Catapults, Daredevil), or things I *really* hate (STACKED). I'm hopefull that one day I'll get to work on something I enjoy. That will make all of my effort worth it smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of you guys make it sound so awesome ...very inspiring smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'll admit I had a bit of a cakewalk prior to getting hold of the job seeing as I somehow managed to talk my parents into supporting me while I worked on my portfolio. I have a lot of respect for everyone who's done it harder, which I suppose is almost all of you. Nevertheless, after six months of refining my showreel with only minimal interest frmo developers I was getting kinda depressed and just about ready to throw it all in and become a full time potter. Not such a bad fate I suppose.

The call from Tantalus to arrange the interview was probably more exciting than the final acceptance call. It was pretty much out of the blue, being based on one of the very first (crap) reels I sent out at least 5 months prior. I thought I had a good chance at the position after how well the interview went, but it was still an exciting moment when the acceptance call came. If I remember correctly I did a big "yeah!" and air punch and wound up losing half the skin on my knuckles on an overhanging door frame.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    Nervous. That feeling wore off after the first milestone. After that I just realized I was building computer software that had immense emotional appeal. I wouldn't trade it for anything. You have reached the pinnacle in software development (except making supercomputers). Everyone seems to look at gaming for where the next consumer software/hardware revolutions will be.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The good feeling wore off when I saw how much they were paying me
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Hey lets just rub it in my face, doesnt bother me none!

tongue.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    to sound like a bit of a little bitch, by the time i got my first job, i had gone so damn hardcore at the vancouver film school, it felt pretty natural. i found that getting a job in the games industry isn't all that different from applying for a position at mcdonalds...

anyway i was still excited smile.gif