Home General Discussion

1 week I'm flying out - what to do with my CAT

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
So, my cat is coming on the plane with Gail and I when we fly out to Vancouver in a week. My question/concern is this:

Chandler, our cat, is going in a carrier (hard plastic) with his bed in it. The ride to the airport is 2 hours. Then we'll wait around for 1 or 2 hours and board our flight. Once on the flight its 5 hours from Toronto to Vancouver... then we have to get setup and what-not at the new place. So I'm guessing that my cat will be in its cage/carrier for near TEN (!!) hours.

Any suggestions on what to do about feeding him and him peeing/crapping?

Leave the death-to-cat comments out. They're old smile.gif

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    give him a nice bath when you arrive laugh.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Tranquilizer dart! He'll thank you for it later. =]
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    dont feed him for a while before the ride. yes he'll be hungry. it'll be ok. also talk to you vet, you can get some kitty downers for it that will keep him restful/outcold for alot of the trip. and yes the cat will probably soil in the crate... get used to the idea now as there isnt any way around it. dont put his everyday bed in there as it will be pissed on at some point. we all love that cat pee smell, mmmmm peee.

the best thing to do if you can is get a soft shell carrier, its like a duffel bag with mesh ends. most airlines will allow those, check with yours, might be an extra charge.
    this lets you bring the cat on as carryon luggage.

if you can do this, still get the kitty drugs, it helps. 12 hour drive from st louis to austin, and i doped up my cat for most of it. any time he came out of it, the constant insesant meow, that never really ended or started, one long meow... then a pill and kill is back to imagining fish and catnip floating over his head.

no food or water for a while, no snackieepoos or treats either. yes he'll be hungry, but when you reach the other side of the country you'll have a better chance of lessening the laterine factor in there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah awesome, thanks rogue!
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    stick a cork in its butt?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do you need to take the cat with you? When we leave on vacation we hand our bunny to the animal shelter, costs a few bucks a day and I think they treat him better than we do tongue.gif.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    gail calls it chandler? What do you call yours?

-R
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Cats sleep 16! hours a day yet those bastards only sleep when they cant bully someone (8 hours while you sleep and 8 while you are at work) and during traveling they take extra care to be up the whole time.

Good luck...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Cat drugs are superb. Our cat hates travelling, so we dope her everytime we've moved.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    put it in a condom and swallow it
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dont feed him for a while before the ride. yes he'll be hungry. it'll be ok. also talk to you vet, you can get some kitty downers for it that will keep him restful/outcold for alot of the trip. and yes the cat will probably soil in the crate... get used to the idea now as there isnt any way around it. dont put his everyday bed in there as it will be pissed on at some point. we all love that cat pee smell, mmmmm peee.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, now imagine waking up with that smell almost every time you get your sheets washed. Damn cats.