Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

You ain't got style son...

Ramucho
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
Well this is one of my biggest problems when it comes to drawing/sketching, I haven't a style of mine like every artist should have.

But some days ago I found a style that may fits me here are some pics I made (both of'em are still wip).

shoottokill4yw.jpg
mafioso4xw.jpg

My main problem is that they haven't enough impact in'em. I'm not talking about the drawing itself but about their presentation.

So:

1: I'm seeking advices on how to perfect this style and some artists I could refer too (already know zdead, Ac!d, and hpx-1)
2: Some general tips about portfolios piece presentation (both 2d and 3d)

Thanks! smirk.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I like both the drawings. The first one has some good movement, but it looks a little messy. The second one could probably use some more details.

As far as the style issue is concerned, I dont think most artists "develop" their styles. They just draw a lot, and eventually a style comes out. Some people are good enough to change their styles to whatever they want, but these people are few and far betweem.

My suggestion would be to draw. Lots. Eventually you'll develop a style.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    you should start by hand drawing your stuff, not just black blocks of brushes in photoshop, start slow and let it out. Dont forget to be creative in the process double check that.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Learn to draw, and then your style will naturally show itself through the path of progress you've taken in learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

listen to per.

just draw honest, and not try to force anything that you know
    because you will fail. you can not strive to perfect anything which is not genuine.
  • Dosadi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dosadi polycounter lvl 18
    Many artists use style to hide a lack of subtance. Draw and paint what you see in the world around you and your vision will show through. Otherwise its all just plagarism.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    and for god sakes,STAY AWAY FROM ANIME styles, hate to see good artists turn to the dark side of styles.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously listen to per. Generally don't worry about a style, until you can draw easily what ever you see in front of you, be it a person, a car, a flower, someone's dog, what have you, if you can draw them as you can see them, the "style" will arrive as you decide how to tighten, or simplify your aproach. Don't use symbolds until you know the meanings fully.

Scott
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    All that said, that first image is kinda cool. It could use some tightening up but it generally works rather nciely.