Home General Discussion

iTunes 4.9

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet. iTunes 4.9 is out, with built in Podcasts (and podcast syncing to your iPod if you have one).

Still no bloody support for compilations on any iPod except the iPod photo.

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am not suprized .. i tunes sucks.. its the worst part of owning an ipod.. if you really want to maky your ipod a usefull device i suggest getting ephpod http://www.ephpod.com/
    you can add music from any computer and also move tracks from the ipod to any hard drive.. also you can use any winamp playlist on the ipod.. make a playlist in winamp.. and boom you have a playlist on your ipod.. i know apple is under a lot of flack from the riaa to prevent anytype of music pirating.. but this is how itunes should be.. useful not a pain in the ass..
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not 'suprized' about what? You seem to have totally missed the point smile.gif

Ephpod is very nice: Does it run on my Mac? No. iTunes is a stunning player, and iTunes supports compilations very well, it's just the iPods that don't. The players and THEIR software doesn't support compilations, that's the annoying thing. My 3 disk Trojan Ska and Reggae boxed sets mean I end up with 120 artists that just have one song each on the ipod, so artist scrolling is a pain.

I can access the harddisk on my ipod via special software? Cool, I'll have to download and install that, rather the cumbersome method I currently use which invloves dragging and dropping from Finder on the Mac or Windows Explorer on my PC.

tongue.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know about the mac.. dont have one.. maybe its different.. but on the pc you cant take music off the ipod only put it on with itunes.. this is pretty lame.. and you can only put music on your ipod from the computer you originally put itunes on.. sucks if you have 2 computers.. it will try to erase everything if you try to music on it from another computer.. and maybe i am missing something about compilations.. are these different than playlists? another handy feature in ephpod is you can rename everything in the songs or a bunch of songs.. like the artist genre or album..instead of right click on each song and going into the properties..maybe if you have a mac itunes is great, thats what it was made for and maybe you get full access to you ipod and not the very limited amount of crap you can do on a pc..the only reason i am not suprised is everyone i know that has an ipod hates itunes.. i love my ipod i really thought they were overrated untill i bought one, and now its my favorite piece of hardware.. but itunes is missing some serious features..
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I grabbed a few podcasts last night after updating. I had tried this out before with some program that looked like a lemon, but finding the podcasts to put on there was a bit time consuming.

I reformatted my pc last week, so I'm still in the process of re-organizing my music that I've got on the pod. I did back up all of my stuff though, but that didn't help when I reformatted that drive by mistake. :S
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use a PC, then you want to use

http://sturm.t35.com/sharepod/

Its a small program that resides on the ipod itself - you run it from there and it lets you copy the music off. Useful - you don't have to install software to your PC.

You can only put music onto an ipod from the original computer? Someone must have hacked mine, because I can put music onto my ipod via itunes from my PC, my mac and my work PC.

It will erase if you have auto sync on, but no-one does that...do they? YOu can still auto sync playlists as far as I know.

Compilations are different. A playlist is a bunch of songs you want to play in order. A compilation is an album with lots of artists, like my 60 track Trojan Rudeboy compilation. THey resiode as a compilation in iTunes when you enable it, so that the artists list doesn't get polluted.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i just started using the winamp ipod plugin, don't think i'll ever touch itunes again