Home General Discussion

So my boss calls me into his office today..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
... and tells me he has a serious issue he needs to discuss with me, and he said it needs to be resolved today or im out.

So i begin to go through my head and think about what the heck ive done wrong,and then he asks me "wheres your belt"
and i respond oh im sorry i accidently forgot it at home, and then i ask him what is it you need to discuss with me.

which he replies,thats it,you missed wearing your belt today,you are setting a bad example for your co workers, you need to elad by example. so im thinking "yeah im sure my use of a belt inspires those around me. then he said if i cant wear a belt hes gonna have to let me go, over a god damn belt!! then he says we have proffesional image we want to keep.

the problem with this whole "proffesional image" bullshit my boss threatened to fire me over is that well frankly its bullshit, for example where most of you guys likely have a desk at your workplace,well i dont,my boss is too cheap for that,instead i have a plastic foldable picnic table which his daughter was nice enough to decorate with crayons.

and where you guys might have filing cabinets we have metal and wood industrial shelves which conduct alot of static which does wonder for PC's

then theres the fact that i dont work with customers and the few customers i have seen have been rednecks,not foreign dictnitories,heads of state or anything,we even had some redneck customer come to our offices wearing boxer shorts.

but nevermind that of all the people who work here i drive 60 miles daily,im never late,never miss deadlines,nice to people,only artist who knows the cheapo engine we use to make stuff. But i guess a piece of leather is worth the time and money it takes to hire a new artist who wears a belt.

but to give you insight on what a wonderful human being my boss is here is a list of highlights from his reel

"quality is not important,just get it done"

"from now on use magnets to post notes on your monitor"

"you guys have 2 weeks to make this program"

same guy who wants to make our receptionist quit because shes pregnant,but since he cant flat out fire her without getting sued,he "promotes" her to another position not with higher pay but a position that makes a 2 month pregnant girl go up and down stairs for 8 hours daily,i imagine this is to make her quit

i find inspiration from many things,but id never imagine hate would be a source,well hate and desire to leave this insane work environment

my boss redefining the word scumbag on a daily basis

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd of told him where to stick the belt. 2 jobs did that BS to me, I left right then and there. If the job is ABSOLUTELY worth it, stick it out and remember the belt. If not, f-it and leave.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I've got to say that's a pretty extreme measure for a boss to take unless there's a specific dress code you and others are expected to adhere to. My guess.. and it's only a guess is that he's laying down grounds to fire you on in a future date to cover his and the company's ass. I'd be carefull and maybe prepared. I'm curious if you got a written warning or notice?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    one of the few jobs in this city which i can do 3d and is somewhat related to game development.

i have to tough it out
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhh i'd say that's bullshit also but the place I work has a lame ass dress code also . Once I got sent home without pay for the day for wearing pants that looked like jeans . To me it sounds like your boss is just a dick and hey maybe if it seems like he is singling you out it's because he is trying to run you off . Stick it out though until you can find more work if it is 3D related it's worth it . It's not all fun in doing video games also ive heard worse stories from that industry. Take for example EA spouse,and ive had lots of friends at lots of companies tell me that's how it is at a lot of places.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when Im angry"
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    no,no written notice,if anything positive comes of it is that it will make me stronger to deal with future situations
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    "Dave Banner, I just slashed your tires."

While your boss sounds unreasonable, don't you watch Queer Eye? Carson would kick your ass for not wearing a belt, and I'd 'pants' ya. wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    wait wait wait... this is a game company??? yet ... u work with customers? when you said artist and engine i assumed that you're working for a game company... do you? this is utter and total bullshit just tell him to fuck off and go hire a new artist who knows their pipeline, with any luck the project will only get delayed for what 2-3 months?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Dave Banner, I just slashed your tires."

[/ QUOTE ]

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP*

"RAAAAAAARARHAHAhahahahah. I'm priceless."
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    no,it isnt a game company,its a military and police simulation,i make all the art for police and military training software we make.

we also make a system we basiclly sell to rich rednecks which is like duck hunt but wayyyy more expensive, i do everything 3d pretty much models,animation,textures,importing etc

"with any luck the project will only get delayed for what 2-3 months?"

lol thats the thing,we dont get that long to produce anything, the way my boss operates is we make really cheap and fast i wouldnt even call it games and sell it to people at NRA conventions and all the suck up political dinners we got to. so we make games that cater to orginizations whether it be police or whatever and make as much money as we can from our crap products

1 month is what we typically take to make anything.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess talking to him about his lack of reality is out of the question?

Does he have a boss? Do you have an HR person you can talk to? This guy is a freakin joke and needs to go. I say sink his ship before he sinks yours AND the companies. Do everyone a favor and find a way to get rid of this guy, legally of course and without setting him up. I bet you can think of something this A-Hole as done to mess up. If you can't, make sure to wear the belt and wait. He is bound to screw a customer over.

If you can't get rid of him because he is the owner, then make sure to NOT wear the belt when it is crunch mode. Then ask for an exit interview and lay it out for him and ask him not to talk until you are done.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    that wont happen vig,he owns the company,his daddy and mommy left him cash and he decided he wanted to make a compooter business. his last job prior to this was running a bar.

how does he manage not to run this company to the ground,well because all of you (americans) pay for it,he is regularly in washington sucking up to his politician friends and we are about to get a contract from the us army valued at 30 million
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Where exactly do you live?

The way you gotta run things, is just keep "forgetting" to wear a belt, and then when he says something drop kick him in the tits.

Guaranteed to work!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe he won't be such a tightwad if he manages to land that contract, maybe he will relax... I doubt it. You could always resort to office warfare and destroy him a piece at a time. It works best if everyone is in on it and can cover for each other as well as assist in the pulling off.

Things like:

1) If he uses a "ball mouse" most tightwads still do. Put a piece of tape over the ball hole. If its an optical mouse roll up a small piece of paper and wedge it up in the eye.

2) Unplug his keyboard when he steps away.

3) This one is my favorite. Wait until he walks away and take a screen grab of his desktop. Set that as his backgroud and hide all his icons and set the menu bar to auto-hide. I bet it takes him a few hours and a few phone calls to tech-support to figure it out.

4) If he has a rolly chair stop up one of the wheels, or put a crayon in the wheel so it draws marks on his chair mat/floor. Since it sounds like he has a daughter, we know who gets blamed.

5) When he is away move something on his desk. Put papers in a drawer or put all the pens in a mug. if he has a pen mug flipping them all upside down.

5) Adjust his monitor tracking settings to be fuzzy. THIS COULD JUST MAKE HIM MORE CRABBY so be careful.

6) Turn up his speakers really loud and set the media player to turn on when a CD is in the drive, buy some cheap devil music and slide it in the drive and power is computer down.

7) Set his clock to chime every min. Set the chime to something he can barely hear and set it to something he might hear, like a squeek or fan rattle. Even if he figures out what it is, chances are he doesn't know how to make it stop without hunting for 30min.

8) Put something really stinky under the can liner in his trash can. Once he finds it switch the spot up. Tape said stinky item to the back of a drawer or the side of his desk that might face the wall. Also putting drops of something really smelling in his keyboard is a nice touch also. I bet he gets up to wash his hands a few times before putting it together.

9) This could get you in trouble. Put a note on his monitor and use a magnet. When he asks you why on gods green earth you destoryed his monitor quote him.

10)Tape down the reciever button on his phone. It won't pick up when he does. "Hello? HELLO!? hello!?"

Of course if he freaks out about a belt, I am sure he would crap bricks if he caught you. So might as well plant these seeds in a coworkers head or just have a good laugh.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    SONIC:Houston Texas

Vig: no,this isnt the first contract we've had,previous one was for 10 million

after that i asked him if i could go to gdc to learn and improve my work to make the products we do look better,his answer "your not here to learn your here to produce,you wanna learn things do it on your off time"
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Its his house and you are just going to have to live with his rules. If you dont like it, time to go someplace else.

;(
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its his house and you are just going to have to live with his rules. If you dont like it, time to go someplace else.

;(

[/ QUOTE ]

The glass is always "half full" with you, isn't it, Jerry. wink.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    iD, Ritual, Ensemble, Wolfpack, 3D Realms, and more are in the area

I think the closest one to me is Ritual (I live in New Braunfels, between SA and Austin)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    well sleyer i do, i didn do it as an open act of defiance,i merely forgot
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    My suggestion would be just to not give a shit. It seems like a pretty easy job where the boss really doesnt care what type of work you put out, so wear your belt, apologize when you do something wrong and just relax smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    yeah this thread takes the place of the yelling i wanted to do,im keeping queit,biding my time and working to improve my portfolio
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Well, some people are assholes. If you need the money, keep the belt on, else tell him to fuck of. Been in this situation myself (wasn't about dresscode really but...) and this "producer"s' favorite phrase was:
    "It's good enough.". This applied to ANYTHING in the game...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    ^^ and thats how bargain bin games are made hehe
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    It wasen't about your belt. This guy is just an ass.

I got an 'stick it to the man' idea - Ok your making shooting games right. Just program it will be very very hard to hit anything or make it a random accuracy. You could have a secret key to null the problem so when they come to you and say 'wtf this sucks' you jump on and get hits no-probs.

Keep improving your res. and get the fuck out of there JO420.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain and it sucks your boss is a twit.

before you quit you should sabotage him for sure smile.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's your bosses name J?

I have a cousin in Houston who's husband owns a company that makes simulations for police and military...

wonder if it's him. Didn't much like him...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    might not be,hes unmarried,some people think hes light in the loafers in fact
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe he won't be such a tightwad if he manages to land that contract, maybe he will relax... I doubt it. You could always resort to office warfare and destroy him a piece at a time. It works best if everyone is in on it and can cover for each other as well as assist in the pulling off.

Things like:

1) If he uses a "ball mouse" most tightwads still do. Put a piece of tape over the ball hole. If its an optical mouse roll up a small piece of paper and wedge it up in the eye.

2) Unplug his keyboard when he steps away.

3) This one is my favorite. Wait until he walks away and take a screen grab of his desktop. Set that as his backgroud and hide all his icons and set the menu bar to auto-hide. I bet it takes him a few hours and a few phone calls to tech-support to figure it out.

4) If he has a rolly chair stop up one of the wheels, or put a crayon in the wheel so it draws marks on his chair mat/floor. Since it sounds like he has a daughter, we know who gets blamed.

5) When he is away move something on his desk. Put papers in a drawer or put all the pens in a mug. if he has a pen mug flipping them all upside down.

5) Adjust his monitor tracking settings to be fuzzy. THIS COULD JUST MAKE HIM MORE CRABBY so be careful.

6) Turn up his speakers really loud and set the media player to turn on when a CD is in the drive, buy some cheap devil music and slide it in the drive and power is computer down.

7) Set his clock to chime every min. Set the chime to something he can barely hear and set it to something he might hear, like a squeek or fan rattle. Even if he figures out what it is, chances are he doesn't know how to make it stop without hunting for 30min.

8) Put something really stinky under the can liner in his trash can. Once he finds it switch the spot up. Tape said stinky item to the back of a drawer or the side of his desk that might face the wall. Also putting drops of something really smelling in his keyboard is a nice touch also. I bet he gets up to wash his hands a few times before putting it together.

9) This could get you in trouble. Put a note on his monitor and use a magnet. When he asks you why on gods green earth you destoryed his monitor quote him.

10)Tape down the reciever button on his phone. It won't pick up when he does. "Hello? HELLO!? hello!?"

Of course if he freaks out about a belt, I am sure he would crap bricks if he caught you. So might as well plant these seeds in a coworkers head or just have a good laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO HAHAHA
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it's not the lack of a belt but a belt BUCKLE.
    Go down to Country General or whichever local store serves up the lil cowpokes in your area and find the biggest, gaudiest cast-pewter-with-brass-trim, ropin, ridin, hee-haw'in piece of ugly you can find and wear it proudly. Make sure to make a show of unbuckling it and throw it over your shoulder on your way out at the end of every day.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    might not be,hes unmarried,some people think hes light in the loafers in fact

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, quite the coencidence.
    Unless they've divorced in the past 5 years, (I don't keep up with that side of the family), but yeah, I thought he was gay myself when I first met him.

He also owns a restaurant.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When i worked at Sea World freshman year of HS, I was growing a beard out a little.. this woman who i had neer seen before, but was a food service worker checking our back room saw me. and said.. that has to go.. "what has to go?", I said.

"Your beard.. you have to shave that off.", she replied

Thats recockulous! But in my case.. when i look back at that.. I had that thin discusting pubic hair beard only a freshman in HS would have. AHHAHAHAHA
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    You have 10 million dollar contracts and work in someone's house? Where does the money go? Up somebody's nose?

BTW Ritual is located smack dab in downtown Dallas.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "7) Set his clock to chime every min. Set the chime to something he can barely hear and set it to something he might hear, like a squeek or fan rattle. Even if he figures out what it is, chances are he doesn't know how to make it stop without hunting for 30min."
    How d'you do that, excactly? That sounds absolutely brilliant!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe it's not the lack of a belt but a belt BUCKLE.
    Go down to Country General or whichever local store serves up the lil cowpokes in your area and find the biggest, gaudiest cast-pewter-with-brass-trim, ropin, ridin, hee-haw'in piece of ugly you can find and wear it proudly. Make sure to make a show of unbuckling it and throw it over your shoulder on your way out at the end of every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA... that's genius... and be sure to hook your thumbs behind the belt buckle with your elbows cocked out to the sides whenever you're just standing around. And then, while standing in this pose, you can pull on the buckle to loosen your belt a bit and let out a satisfied "yup."
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i know some (british) people who will headbutt this guy and quit their jobs over this.

but i will never name names!

seriously, this guy is a professional jack ass.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Your boss has a completely WRONG wrong image on how to run a game company. A manager should know that the way to best results, best production time, and a ncie ambiance is to keep your employees happy. 95% of the game developers I know are metalrock adoring hippies. you yes! wink.gif I've never heard of a dresscode in a game studio tbh... You know i would take some of your friends and start your own studio. You probably have enough talent, and if your 'boss' really acts like that I'm sure you are not the only one that has isseus with him. Screw that moron and ditch the place.

Oh and if you still have problems after you told him to go fuck himself. You can always call the Boskmani famila, we'll fit him some concrete shoes, eh. Capice?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    just tell him a belt puts extra pressure on your bladder. If he still makes you wear one, go into his office and piss yourself
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pink belt with flashing red LEDs. That's gotta get his attention.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like Vig and Dan's suggestions, but I still think Sledgy's wins the day... do it!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or... Hm, can you build a convincing TNT stick imitation?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Or... Hm, can you build a convincing TNT stick imitation?

[/ QUOTE ]

or, hot dogs. strap lots of hot dogs to your belt.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pink belt with flashing red LEDs. That's gotta get his attention.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nah, if you are going to go the LED route, at lest have them say something
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck you? Works every time.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naah, too blatant.

Hm, maybe have it display a countdown timer along with a few dynamite imitations?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    i would put

8====D
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make that "8====D inside".
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    or either you can do the right thing, tell him in a civil manner you think that he is an unreasonable jerk, and go find a new job, or tell him you think he is an unreasonable jerk, and be sure to wear a belt into work, while the sabotage ideas sound funny, its definately not the way to go about things.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get the LED belt and have it scroll"you must be this tall to ride this ride..."