Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom 3 Environment

Bree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bree polycounter lvl 18
We finished off this project just before E3 and I just got back to Shanghai, so now I can post it up. We basically wanted to show some environment modeling in a game engine environment (D3) and deal with the related problems of that instead of rendering out of max. All in all it was a good project and I learned a ton! Big thanks to Earthquake who supplied some debris models to help add some clutter to the scene!

doom3_env.jpg

View The Rendered Movie cool.gif

The lighting I found to be particularly problematic. In the end I used an ambient light hack to add .3 RGB to everything which kind of washed out the color. Any suggestions for next time?

Cheers,

Bree

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
  • Bree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bree polycounter lvl 18
    not for an actual game or mod - done purely as a test. I'm curious as to how things may look in the source engine vs D3 engine.

Bree
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    That looks pretty cool Bree. The still isn't that impressive, but the video itself looks promising. It looks a lot like the one deathmatch game for Halflife 2, I forget the name of the level.

It was good seeing you again at e3.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's really cool, I love to see people use an engien and make it not look like the original game it was meant to support.
    Will there be a map with this terrain??
    Or what are you gonna use it for?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Only crit would be the low polycount or at least the obvious edges. It has a very current-gen-console look.
  • Bree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bree polycounter lvl 18
    Hey thanks for the comments guys - I appreciate it. All I can say is the next test will be that much better smile.gif This isn't going to be a level and wasn't intended to be one - just another art test. The one HUGE problem that I had was basically being a D3 noob and having problems finding the right info at the right time.

Question to you guys: what's the best way to capture something like this? I hooked up my video camera with firewire and recorded the computer screen. There must be a better way no?

cheers!

Bree
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thats the first decent outdoor environment ive found for doom3... and it looks pretty good. id be interested to see how it would look with a more "earthly" atmosphere, rather than what looks like mars. just to see how it would look without the overlaying red light.
  • Filler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filler polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Question to you guys: what's the best way to capture something like this? I hooked up my video camera with firewire and recorded the computer screen. There must be a better way no?

cheers!

Bree

[/ QUOTE ]
    Might want to try Fraps.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the video, the area looks nice. It's commendable that you're taking this time to test and seek feedback. This will make your next projects improve greatly.

The environment has a very video game look to it, that's not necessarily a bad thing unless you want a very realistic look. For the video, it could use more foreground. Currently, it's a bit dotted here and there, as in, columns, pile of stuff, bike, nothing, box, then a rock with nothing to tie them together. More rubble, as though the camera is moving behind a small destroyed/rock wall, would do wonders for you visually. But, if this is just a video test to show an area, don't worry about that.

If you added a fires, smoke plumes, and triggered explosions, the current sky would be completely believable. Those far background builds look really good. Have you seen this video? It's driving through Iraq somewhere, good trees ref too.

http://fratguyantics.com/content/index.php?id=188

Yea, Fraps works great.