Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Lonely Midget animation

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
**edit** sorry about the dead links, I'm trying to fix it now frown.gif

Hi, this has been finished for about a week now but I've been so busy with degree show preperations (which be tomorrow) I haven't had time to post it. Well, theres a couple of sfx unfinished, but it'll be a while till I sort them out, and really when I watch it now all I see is little render glitches, bits that I would have liked different etc etc so I'm a bit fed up of it right now :]. But, the tutors seemed to like it, so i'm hopeful of a decent grade.

Btw if you have a decent connection please go for the larger d/l, some of the stuff I worked hard on gets a bit obscured in the high-compression version. My hosting should be quite quick for you to d/l from. (I get it in about 5-6 mins)

*edit* had to remove larger one for now, webspace is down thanks to exceeding bandwidth :/ well, they're processing request to fix it now, hope they wont be too long. might look for better hosting in the meantime..

(divx)
4mins 30
Low quality movie 14.3mb

here are some stills:
1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg
5.jpg7.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Rooster

I rememeber months back when you first posted the story and initial cocnept arts for this,then awhile later you posted some models for it and it looked great.

But now with it all together its amazing!!,you should be proud man.

A tear almost filled my eye when the midget fell over trying to dance,I felt so sorry for the little guy.

Theres many questions id like to ask you about how you did certain things but ill just let ya lap it up for now smile.gif.

Again man great job and good luck with your show...

John
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jehuty polycounter lvl 18
    hello rooster,

well i don't think of my self as a great artist yet... so i don't know in what position i am to give you any crits... but i think i can say that i have great respect for people that are finishing a whole project like you did. you did a graet job man, i like the style you transported the emotions... and i like your maincharacter smile.gif be proud... like Bronco said...!!!
    i wish you good luck on the presentation and of course a good grade... "thumbs up!"
  • Cork_Soaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cork_Soaker polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, Rooster. I liked your movie quite a lot. It was cute and had personality. I thought the sound design was done well. The sounds were crisp and gave the viewer(me) a sense of immediacy. The plot was universal, because we all can identify with loneliness. You mixed two different visual styles: gritty mechanical and bright happy cartoonish. It supported the story, but I'm not sure if it worked visually. Another little thing; when the dwarf is dancing in his home, I thought the music should have been softer to indicate that it was in his head. Over all, you've created a thoroughly enjoyable piece. Congrats!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys smile.gif much appreciated!
    Bronco: fire away with any questions man, im happy to answer

jehuty: cheers bud!

cork: good crits man, the main theme of my dissertation was mise-en-scene- basically how controling the visual elements of a film (framing, composition, colour etc) can reflect character emotions and motivation. The idea was that the midgets telescope room was warm, but empty like his lonliness- the rounded arch with the portholes kind of resembles his face. then other parts of the castle are cold as hes reminded he's alone. Then he steps into the wide outdoors to find friends, and the snow and white represents a new world, and the bright and cartoony village reflects the villagers simple good nature. Maybe it doesn't all work visually but I had to keep the animation and dissertation tied together smile.gif. If you have any suggestions on how you would have approched things differently I'm interested to hear
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool little video. My only suggestion is a simple one. Display the story text a little longer wink.gif
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Hey rooster this is top shelf! A decent grade? I'd give you an A! Everything is great,the sounds too. This looks like it was made by a group of people rather than just one guy.

The only crit is the title- 'midget',no.
    Aah I would have just stuck with The Lonely (or lonelyness)

My fave parts the cup heating up/sitting alone, the walking silhouette, the cartoonish thoughts and the door opening.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    thats a really nice little animation.. but one thing that really catches my eye is the stiff and motionless animations, at least for the humans.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    deja: aye I do admit that. Ideally I would have liked to spend much more time animating the blue guys, but it just came down to a matter of time, I only just managed to finish it as it is. I've been encouraged by the tutors to finish it up, add a bit of polish and they'll enter it into some competitions. The degree show was pretty cool last night, free wine, so I got to see my tutors half-cut laugh.gif

also won 2 awards! yay
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    hey rooster,
    really loved the animation, great fun! would agree that with some polish it would be truly amazing. but with the schedule n all its a pretty good peice all the same.
    nice work!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Dead Links.

Scott