Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VAL-9000 super-computer/electric-cellist

King-Vitaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
This is the "Violoncelliste Automatique est Louable" 9000 series robot. (please mind my french, anyone who can correct it please do so) The "Commisioned Automatic Cellist" (or something, I care more about the acronym than the meaning) is something like a jukebox that plays the cello for quarters and possibly mixes drinks in a club, will have a stage/minibar as well as a GUI that takes VISA and American Express. Also I need to model a cello. Around the 3200 triangle realm at the moment. Any crits or suggestions are highly appreciated. I want to incorporate more robotics or technology to his body, possibly a small panel of lights/buttons/output-ports or something on his back dunno yet.

cellobot_full_5-10_tn.jpg
cellobot_full_wire_5-11_tn.jpg
cellobot_head_5-11_tn.jpg
cellobot_head_wire_5-11_tn.jpg

Replies

• r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i'd suggest an extra set of arms or an arm that come off his back so that he can continue to play the cello while serving up drinks as well.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I like it. An idea you might like is to have the hand that is plucking the strings on the cello be robotic for 'maximum efficiency'. (And don't make it cheesy robotics either, come up with some more creative than 5 rods with joints sticking out of a metal slab.)

Also, he might look good sporting a fancy hat (or a not-so-fancy hat). It'll add some visual balance to his noggin' as right now he appears to be leaning his head forward.

I'm really liking this character!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I like the idea, and it turned out very well. as for the translation you might want something like "Le violoncelliste automatis
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm liking it, well done. One big crit I have is the huge amount of wasted polys in the face.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    really cool character smile.gif
    i'd add a port for switching batteries.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for crits/suggestions.

I think that I am going to try to make a bar-scene for him to go into, with an automatic bartender of a different design as well in the scene. Will model some stools/bottles and other bar-stuff as well.

I am gonna try a hat design as well, although I did model his head tipped slightly forward and he has an underbite, so he is kind of wierd looking intentionally.

I think "Le Musicien automatise sur Demande" would be a good name, MAD-9000 Series Robot sounds ominous.

I had planned on having enough polies in the face for a little animation with singing or talking, but I think modelling a bartender with facial-animation capabilities would be cooler anyway, I have a concept in my head. Then MAD wouldnt need so many polies in his face because he wouldnt talk, so I will optomize his face alot. I will probably add a panel on his back as well, although everyone knows that any kind of robot worth a damn runs on cold-fusion cells, which would never need to be switched.....but an 8-track or cassette player would be radical.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one man! really like where this is going grin.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool concept. Model looks like its well constructed. smile.gif Looking forward to the texture!
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a hat, a panel on his back, optomized the face a bit, and built a cello. I think what I actually wanted for him to play was the upright bass, but they are about the same except that the upright is played standing up and is a bit taller, and often a bit broader. Still WIP, more crits or suggestions would be awesome, gonna unwrap soon and concept the rest of the scene, planning for the rest of the scene to be BladeRunner influenced but slightly more futuristic/apocalyptic.

3300 Triangle Character/700 Triangle Instrument, will optomize both a bit, hopefully hit 3500 or so total.

cellobot_full_5-14_tn.jpg
    cellobot_full_wire_5-14_tn.jpg
    cellobot_head_5-14_tn.jpg
    cellobot_head_wire_5-14_tn.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking pretty well constructed so far. I'd love to see you play with his cyberbits more. Maybe make his cello a bit mechanical and have him plug into it, or give him a cyber bow for a hand. I'm just throwing out ideas, but I think you need something to solidify his design, as right now it's a bit bland. Well done though, will be watching this for sure.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I modelled a new arm yesterday and will unwrap/skin within a few days. I just moved to San Diego so I have been busy lately but its starting to calm down and I've been getting more modelling done. Crits/Comments welcome.

I am not quite done with the transition from suit to arm yet .
    cellobot_full_6-5_tn.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, that's funny as I was scrolling down, I thought, hey this dude needs a hat, and next thing you know, the next pic has a hat. Then I thought, he needs one of his arms or legs to be mechanical, and lo and behold, viola!

Nice work smile.gif