Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I hate furrys now.... so much

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
Kay, this was a model done for a mod called "Dracten," but the mod ended up being blatent stupidity from beginning to end, so I quit. This was the model I never finished. It was a character that I designed and he accepted. We called her the "converted vixen" or Arona. She was a character I idolized.... but now I hate her.

go ahead, cheap, do a mexican hat dance, you know you want to.

Concept:
CVPaint.jpg

Model:
CVdeadDractendump.jpg

Replies

• Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, a chick fox with a scare on her face doesn't really appeal to me. But it is a kick ass concept :P, goodjob.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    blatent stupidity? errr...right..i don't like the model much, either.....i dunno...something not right with it...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yeah, it's the boobs. I know it is, but you can see why I don't like it anymore.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think if the texture of the mesh looked more like the concept, it would be a lot better. The photo source stuff isn't the best option for it imo - that makes it look even more goofy.

If it was all painted like the concept, it would at least make sense that it was like that, and have a cool visual style as opposed to being straight photosource over painted armor.

also, the mesh doesnt quite represent the concept - the cool parts of the concept are the ears, no sleeves and asymetry on arms, the smaller sleeker eyes, and the light colored armor - all of which did not make it into the model/texture, which hurts it the most. the orange face and blueish-white armor is a great color combo, and again, with the yellowish brown-blackgreen in the texture... it doesnt match or work as well as the concept shows.

my point? stay closer to the concept if it looks badass and causes you to fall in love with it, the end result will be much more appealing.

and lose that cut over the eye smile.gif
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Got some great points, there. Thanks smile.gif
    Here's my lame and rather incoherant excuse.
    I forgot to mention that the concept was actually a later version I did, long after I started the model. I suppose I never got around to really fixing these problems on the model, mostly because I lost interest, partially because I forgot it existed.
    I'm just wondering... should I finish it? It really has no use now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you're talking like that ... "fixing" those problems on the model... then I'd recommend trying to re-do the whole thing from scratch. Use that concept (I like it a lot, as Moose says, nice colour scheme and designs), but this time try to stay really close to the style and feel of the concept. Then completely hand-paint the textures. I'm not sure why you used photosourcing there, as you evidently have a lot of skill at painting. It would just come across as such a more stylish and interesting model and texture if you had stayed true to the concept.
    The dark grey armour and clothes are just bland and samey compared to the ideas laid out in the concept (although a little more colour variation on some parts of the clothing in the concept might help a little).

Pretty good work, but could be so much better.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Did you do the concept?

It is quite charming.
    I think that what the concept holds, and how it is translated in the model/texture, is done very poorly.
    The model itself is nicely done though, and the texture is deffinately not too bad, but how does it relate to the concept?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I kindof want to finish her, now.

Yeah, this character has been inconsistent from the beginning. Here's an earlier concept of her (this is old, don't make fun of me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/Dracten_copyrighted_NewCV_by_Makkon.jpg ) and and it's been changing ever since. I've had trouble landing a basic look for her since she was created. Just recently I went with that look.

You guy's are very convincing, and I agree with your statements. smile.gif thanks again.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Likin the concept illustration.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the original concept had plenty of style about it too.

Why is she a converted vixen?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I dunno... you'd have to be familiar with the mod.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    haha, don't get down on yourself man, it's a rite of passage in the industry to get at least halfway involved in some horrible mod at some point. furry characters get a very bad name (for good reason i suppose), but nonetheless it is an appealing concept painting, despite all the baggage that 'furry' carries with it. i agree that you should try to finish it and make it more like the concept if possible.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Both Concepts show more "life" and visual interest, than the completed model. That being said, the completed model ios not bad, but is just, I don't know... bland? in comparison. The Asymetry in the arms, and having 1 over the shoulder sword just givesabetter look than the crossed swords. I'm going to ignore the head for now, but the body is lacking the shaping and muscle definition of the concept.It's not shown in the texture, nor is it shown in the mesh. The legs also are lacking definition, and it may be an effect of the camera, and perspective, but it looks like the lower legs are a bit short. The breasts are larger than the concept and lack the definition of the concept.

Back to the head. The expression is neutral. Is this because the model is rigged for facial expression? If not, I'd suggest modeling the expression from the concept back into the model.

As to the Furry's, well yeah, It's a fandom full of dysfuncionals, and the Drachten Mod is a bit ambitious. Good luck with the model, though.

Scott
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I personally think you should stick to doing concepts you do nice work....build your skill there your far ahead in that area... texture/concept artist are gonna be in more demand in the future I think .
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I usually don't care for furries, the concept and model is quality stuff! Like people said, maybe the photosourcing wasn't the way to go, although you pulled it off quite well. Find some way to stylize it to more fit the concept (look at the latest star fox games maybe?).

Recently people have critiqued me for this, and your model could probably benefit too quite a bit: alpha mapped planes for the fur. Maybe it's too late for that, but it would help.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kay, this was a model done for a mod called "Dracten," but the mod ended up being blatent stupidity from beginning to end, so I quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there Makkon rember Fox mc Cloud in the Dracten forums ? Yup thats me and i stay away for good reason anyway always respected your artwork and yout model looking good hopefully you have more fun on yout next work whatever it might be best luck grin.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    I remember getting an email of some guy to work on that mod.. some of the sketches looked cool but the whole thing looked way to amature ! like a school kid had an idea for a game, made a web site and then invited a bunch of people to do it for him lol... mabey not just the impression i got from thier site.. dont remember the link sadly.

Jody
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    AAHHHHH cheapy just cleared it ALL up... lol

Jody
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yeah, I'm beginning to understand why cheapalert hated Tal (FWI Tal was the leader of dracten), but I won't go far into it.
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonlord polycounter lvl 18
    come on makkon... you can't hate furries just because of tal. i would propose you doing your own idea with the model, showing that you are creative. isn't this a good idea?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Sure, I guess I should. Besides, now I'm technically free to do what I please...
    I guess I could just make it into what ever I want it to be!
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you can... show us your creativity ^_^
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    .... a dragon.. with a gun!

Jody
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erm... gun? where?
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you already in another project? so you can directly move on without a 'pause'?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    no, not yet... frown.gif I'm taking a break
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see... i donno if i could provide something as i've no anthros with me but... perhaps you like doing some conventional stuff ^_^
  • beserkevalk209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beserkevalk209 polycounter lvl 18
    heyy me 2 tal killed it for me
    alot after you finish teh fox makkon let move on to a new grand project or something ok.... yeah and sorry dragon lord no more furries i think makkon dosen twant to resserect hell abotuthem all over agin
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    You hate furries??

http://www.godhatesfurries.com/

so does this guy,he made a website

WARNING!!!! before you go to the website,remember, there are things on this earth you cant un-see
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH TO REALIZE WHAT I MEANT YEARS AGO

Convert her into Aeris from VGCats

VGcats are like the only furries i'll ever tolerate humor-wise

And yes I did clear things up with GoK and another member here privately (was just links to his earlier polycount situations on the old board)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Can I see that?
  • Scott Ruggels
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Aw... good stuff! Thanks, cheap! laugh.gif

and thank you too, scott. smile.gif But I believe that it's now http://www.vgcats.com/
  • beserkevalk209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeha cool makkon and polycount dose respect you, im talkinga break too..... yeha cheapalert is right dracten is amess. wouldnt join it if your sane....
    furries make alot of peoel sick and scalies too, now i know why(no offense dragon lord of course)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    cool concepts. the thing that i dont like about the model, other than what's been mentioned, is that the head looks like a fox head stuck on a human body. i think the head on the second posted concept works much better. much better blending of the elements
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeha cool makkon and polycount dose respect you, im talkinga break too..... yeha cheapalert is right dracten is amess. wouldnt join it if your sane....
    furries make alot of peoel sick and scalies too, now i know why(no offense dragon lord of course)

[/ QUOTE ]

not in general... but i'm neither a furry nor a scalie if you mean that wink.gif
  • beserkevalk209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same here neither... dragonlord:}
    sorry about that its all good
    hey makkon you might want to post your updated model,also if you dont liek
    the body you can make it look more animalistic , quadped feet or clawwed hands to make her more fox like... up to you
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap.

Holy crap, That Tal is still going at the freaken thing. Its all my fucking fault this horror still exists. I encouraged him after we meet at an invite a game of Sven Co-op years back, on how to go ahead with his mod and were to look for help. I should have gotten to know him more then 15 minutes because I'd have learnt that he was fucking insane.

Im sorry, Makkon, for encouraging a psychopath.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of insane? Standard furry insane? Raping wildlife insane? Stabbing people and eating their bodies insane?
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    difficult to describe and i guess you have to know him yourself to get an image. i would more say flip-flop like. depending on how he thinks about you at the moment you see a different face.

i personally just stay on the nose-out-principle: i just care my business. prolly i do not care if his project turns out well or not, that's his problem not mine ^_^.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Well since i self helped out the team there, this guy
    is just big bla bla bla nothing more, i guess its just
    some kid thats thinks of him self what a great idea he
    have, a big failure if you ask me, good miracle that a
    HD crash ate all the shit i made for this MOD.... and
    realizing that im just waste my time there.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is an awfull lot of horrible english in this thread, so i'll just focus on the model/concept.
    The concept is pretty good, and the model is quite allright as well, but the texture really doesn't fit. Maybe if you stayed closer to the concept, it could turn out great.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Alrighty, but I'm thinking of totaly redoing the model first. It has some major flaws, anyway, and I could do MUCH better.
  • Dragonlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a good idea. i would adjust the limbs to be more thicker as in the concept they are in a more 'natural' relation to the rest of the body. also something is wrong with the bandoliers... they pass below/above in some strange way. either both below the breast plate or above but crossed like that looks somehow off.

my two cents.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    kay, but what's a bandolier?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    those straps crossing the body I believe

edit: while im posting I should probably comment on the model, I agree with whats been said about the concept having a bit more life. I've had difficulty in the past matching the feel of a concept so I sympathize.

I think the showing fur on the arms makes for better design, and the greater variation of tones on the concept also is nicer to look at. The head texture on the model has a bit of a stuffed animal look to it, I think its the lack of eye highlights mainly.

Id encourage you to keep on with it or even redo from scratch, I think its clear you have the skills to make a cool model from this if you de-associate it in your mind from that crappy mod smile.gif
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    well... now that you mention it, I really think that the only way to disassociate with that crappy mod would be to completly redesign every aspect of her... thus becoming a totaly different character. this model reminds me too much of dracten, and finishing it would quite painful. I guess I'll just design a totaly new character that has... fur... and go with that. smile.gif
    or... shouldn't I? I dunno. I don't even like this model. frown.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey man it's your free time, don't spend it doing something you don't want to do! Its up to you if you want to redesign to capture the cool concept more, or start afresh on something new. It usually feels pretty good to start afresh in my experience, but theres also satisfaction in nailing a design (so i've heard wink.gif). take it or leave it smile.gif
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    VGcats are like the only furries i'll ever tolerate humor-wise

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, Scotty never intended his chars to be "furry".

His FAQ:
    Q: Eeeew! Furry!
    A: Hey, that's not a question! I didn't know about anything Furry until after I started the comic. Though I know now the art style is regarded as such. I really don't care either way so long as I make you laugh : )

Dunno where I got the idea, but I'm convinced that the author(Scotty) is basing his main chars off of RL pets. o_O

Anyway...
    Imho, most of the furry fandom is filled with people best kept away from the real world, but keep in mind that it's a very broad fandom - TONS of different interests at play here. shocked.gif

OT - Like the colorized concept, and compared to the current model it's a lot better.
    As most others are saying, start from scratch - If you can keep it close enough to concept, then it'll be killer. smile.gif