Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

celtic fantasy scene

shokora
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
shokora polycounter lvl 18
iam working on a fantasy scene that is a bit celtic style, iam still a noob so please dont shoot me in the head if you dont like it smile.gif
btw, the textures arent mine but from the 3d total texture cd's (wich are very good, i think).

throne_textured.jpg
tombe_3.jpg
tombe_4.jpg
shield.jpg

Replies

• The3DGuy
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    texture work is nice, but there is some baaaaaaad uv stretching on the top parts of that first chair
  • King-Vitaman
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    How many polies are they? The chairs UV stretching is pretty extreme as 3dguy said. The flame emblem looks like clipart on the chair, but it looks good on the tomb. I would make the chair more like the tomb in regards to the texture. The tomb has alot of UV stretching too, but not as bad as the chair. Try to model something more organic like a helmet or tree or rabbit for practice, and then unwrap it. Even if it doesnt look great it will teach you alot, then when you come back to these models they will turn out better from the practice. If you need a good unwrapping tutorial I or someone else could find one for you, there are lots of good ones about.

Great start though, keep at it and you will improve very quickly. How long have you been modelling?
  • shokora
    Offline / Send Message
    can you please explain to me what you mean with uv stretching?
    i have been modelling for around 2 weeks or something... (with a lot of time between it doing nothing :P).

throne = 228 poly
    tombe = 568 poly
    shield = 612 poly

so its all very low poly
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It'd be nice to get some more celtic looking iconography going on your chair and tomb. It shouldn't be too hard to find some references of flame artwork with a celtic knotwork flavour to it.
    a_new_misc.tribal_flames_2.jpg
    Something like this perhaps...
  • King-Vitaman
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    UV stretching occurs during the UVW mapping (which is also called unwrapping) step. This is where the 3d model is broken down like a cardboard box so it can have a 2d image applied to it. If it is not broken down efficiently enough in regards to the original shape of the model, it makes the texture look stretched or twisted, such as the case on the seat part of your chair, and around a few edges on the tomb. I will try to find a good tutorial about this and edit this post to contain a link, but if someone else knows one off the top of his head instead please post it.
  • shokora
    Offline / Send Message
    i didnt unwrap it, i just added the texture to it.
    as you would do with a material
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, we can see that. Unwarping is in 99% of the cases a absolutly vital step when you use textures. When you use produceals (what you wrongly call materials) that are generated by mathematical formulas MAX (or whatever program you use) does this for you.
    There are plenty of tutorials at there. Do a google search, check in the forum and read the help-files.
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I just wanted to chime in here also on this, really take a look at some tutorials on unwrapping a mesh, like Cubik said. Most people just concentrate on modeling, and texture work. But honestly, if you dont learn how to unwrap properly, it serioulsy hurts your texture work, along with your not showing off your model properly. No matter how well either are done.
    To me personally, I think the unwrap is almost as important as a good model, and don't see enough of the skill in the industry.

Just my two cents.
    Spark