Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Angel, Knight, and Death.... Need advice!

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work on the angel man !!!
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice concept and execution, you've got there. I like how you've got the fabric rendered out. It's very convincing, and works on both the light and dark characters.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    wow. I really like how you did the cloth, all that detail. Seams around the arms near the armpits, im sure you've noticed them. The pinkish hue at the ribcage looks off, perhaps you might wanna consider toning it down a lil.

Great work dude.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ok, I wont mention the seam on her belly...how about the one on her shoulder then?
    This looks fantastic. I love the design of both, and your texture execution looks great creativly, if lacking a TINY bit in technical execution.
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - FredH - polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I know, the seams... Since I did not have a concept before I started this one, I excuted it totally the wrong way. She was a disaster!! I thought she would have a belt, and sleeves that went up to her shoulders, but then I changed it again and again. Needless to say, I won't make the same mistake with the paladin. Hence, the stronger concept:)

I'll have to fix the seams the best way I can for now because changing the texture sheet is impossible.

Otherwise, I am glad you all like her so far. I should be done with her tonight:)

Dom --> the pinkish hue on her ribcage is the beginning of a long series of cuts, scrapes and bruises I will add to her. It should make more sence in the next update, but I'll try find better reference before I start this because right now, I have none. Thanks!

MoP/notman --> Ok, thanks, consider the thumb and palm fixed!

_FreD_
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Good werk. I would like to see the highlight levels equalled out, currently her face has far less than the breats and stomach, keep it consistant across the whole model to acheive a better look.

laugh.gif
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darn chains took forever to figureout how to rig Argh! Ok, this is not a final pose (or rig for that matter) but I thought I would show my progress thus far.

I rigged both characters and I linked them together with chains. I finished the angel, but, I think she is in desperate need of specular maps and bump maps. If I have time, I'll do something quickly.

Angel:
    angel_05.jpg

A quick mock up of the final scene. Did I mention this is suppose to look like a game? So, I will make a health bar menu too:)
    angel_04.jpg

spacemonkey --> I played around with her skin levels to make it more consistant. Many thanks for the advice!
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops. I forgot to poste the concept here.

Here's my idea for the environment. However, it will take place at night.

Concept_Envi.jpg

_FreD_
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    dude you are out of control!!!!! Are you doing this for a gig? or your own enjoyment? Man you blow my mind Fred.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Might want to work on her expression, she doesn't convey the motion that she doesn't want to be there. She looks like she's just there watching without much involvement (other than the kind of involvement a Bond villain has with his henchmen fighting Bond). Make her look more scared, using her arms to stabilize and protect her body. Might be kinda hard to do that while she's flying since flying conveys a pretty healthy condition. She'd look more "right" stumbling around or kneeling/lying behind Death while he yanks her chains fighting the hero.

Well, unless your plot is that she lured the hero into that room to kill him so she can take over the world unhindered.
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, I should have mentioned that her expression is not final. That will be the very last thing I work on. She will probabably have her eyes closed, and she will be crying when she is commanded by death to summon the might of heaven to kill the paladin. It will be more or less like my first initial sketch on page 1:) This tag team is a final boss for a game. So, the hero got there by killing everything else.

Ghost_Rider --> What this is for... that's a secret:) But, it's not for pay, or.. maybe it could be depending on my standing hehe

KDR_11K --> Ya, I should have mentioned something about the expression. I didn't even touch on that yet. I'll work on this when everythign is in. Thanks for the idea though, it's really appreciated!

_FreD_
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    3 things

1.wow

2. write some tutorial books,you can give Steed some competition

3. learn some japanese and go work ar squareenix,

i can imagine if you redid sephiroth's model it would come out spectacular.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    jesus, nice stuff. I dig the environment
    The angel is very monochromtic though. Hmm, no eveything is very monochromtaic. aybe try to use some contrasting colors to give it a more attreactive touch.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the monochromatic stuff could be seen as a style. After all, Death is pure Evil and the angel is pure Good so having a monochromatic look could emphasize their pure natures...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That environment concept made me explode in my pants! A wee bit more time on its colorization and it'd be perfecto!

Awesome work really. I can't find anything to crit now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, Fred, I love your concepts. And your models. And your textures. That environment concept is stunning. Can't wait to see more!
  • shokora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shokora polycounter lvl 18
    wow! that are some nice models, the style reminds me of lineage II, only your models are better :P
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You are doing this stuff rather fast.... I'm getting dizzy.
    Not only do your models and concepts rock, but your textures do also! It's the texture that brings it all together, and I think you did a terrific job!

Texture painting is something I have difficulty with... if anyone has any links or anything... that'd be swell.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    You work fast. I like your style and work... any way we can see a wire on that pretty little angel? And is there any more work done on that paladin?

And i realy like the concept of the destroyed church too.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, this is so inspiring. I really love the way you did the concepts, and the model/textures. The angel has such a nice glow and ephemeral beauty to her, it's a great dichotomy with the bruises and blood, really emphasizes what an inoportune situation she is in.

Please continue and I'm looking forward to how you finish.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    only thing i see is that her feet are like WHOA, and that big toe is HUGE. But thats nit picking, amazing work man, very inspiring smile.gif.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oh damn, niggzilla! niice.
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's an update with the paladin. He is rather clean right now, so I should mention that nothing is final! Not even the choice of colors. I'll probably change quite a bit once a finish creating the base. He is 4968 polies and uses one 1024 sheet for the body and one 512 for the shield and weopon.

knight_01.jpg

_shimmer --> Monochromatic is the style I am going for here. I'll only have a few dabs of color here and there. However, when I have the environment ready, I'll see if everything needs more color, thanks for the heads up!

KDR_11k --> Yup, that was my idea. I hope it works in the end:)

shokora --> Thanks!

IceWolve --> I'll be sure to post a wire of her after the 18th of May. A little to busy now:)

poopinmymouth --> Many thanks! I hope I manage to finish it in time argh! I am cutting it a bit close.

Eclipse --> Ok ok, I'll fix her toe hehe, it is rather big.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really nice buddy. I'm liking the contrast of detail, especially in the torso area, where it blends from small chain mail to larger chains, to the chunks of metal armor. This is looking super nice. On the face, even though you said you are going for a more monochromatic look, I'd redden up the shadows just a tad. Especially on his nose. Other than that man, it's looking PIMP!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is some of the coolest work i've seen in a good while. Very inspirational man. Good stuff!
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poopinmymouth --> Ok, check, redden face, will do. I tend to have a problem with mens face because I always start in black and white and then when I switch it to color, I don't color it enough argh! Thanks for the heads up!

n30g3n3s1s --> Glad you like it thus far. Still quite a bit to do *sigh*
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    nice realy nice - I like specially the position of his hair ! The face - young & beautiful hero = for a princess easy to fall in love. crazy.gif
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jehuty polycounter lvl 18
    Man this looks AWESOME... hell this RULES!!! =)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Its good to see someone take on something so ambitious and actually make a full-bore attempt to finish it. Great stuff fred.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    great stuff fred, comin along fantasticalalalallalalalalalally.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think I have a new role model!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    five stars! I like your style!
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crap, I ran out of time. I will have to leave him like this and fix him later. I still have to rig him and then start on the environment.

If you haven't guessed already, this is for the cgtalk.com contest Master and Servant. I am entering with a 'never done in their comps before'.. game model. I'll probably get my butt kicked, but, I thought I would give it a shot.
    knight_02.jpg

Ok, next up, environment:)

_FreD_
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Lol, you will kick their highpoly butts wink.gif

Really nice work!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, this is looking great. Can't wait to see the envir.
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    superb work, Fred. your sense of proportion makes even the outlandish look exactly right, and the whole scene evokes a very strong Renaissance feeling. the echoes of classic crucifixion poses in the Angel are top notch.
  • fiart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Fred! Your entry is a really great idea. I hope you'll have the time to complete it and add all the details.
    I think that right now the angel and the warrior are the best pieces. shocked.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, sweet, SWEET stuff! The texture on Death just makes me want to cry.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Really love the whole thing, chain is so hard, yours looks so nice.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    can we see the wires for the angel ?

its really inspiring work. nice job all round , i think i liked the paladin more monochromatic tho ... but thats just a matter of opinion.
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well, I ran out of time, so I at least submitted something:( I'll post wire frames and other things of individual characters in the next few days.

Final_jepy.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY CRAP! O.O

I'll buy that game. laugh.gif

Amazing work man. Totaly amazing.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Legacy of Kain UI?

smashing work, man. a thing to be proud of.
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    great scene! i wouldn't think Gothic, Renaissance and Art Deco styles could blend so well but they do. the magenta foreground lighting kinda puts me off, i'd rather expected something like spills from a shattered rose window, but that's just personal preference. best of luck with the entry, looks like a solid contender.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that bugs me is that the cyan stripes on the HUD look too scifi-ish. Okay, that and the magenta lighting. But otherwise it looks awfully convincing. Those Killzone guys should have hired you, they wouldn't have given themselves away this way...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    looks solid fred... the only thing at all that bugs me is the
    little pedestal in the back has a relief sculpture that looks REALLLY photosourced.. everything came together nicely though man! goodwork!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work man!
    Are you still going to finish the environment like in your concept?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I hope now that your deadline is up, that you don't sideline this project. You have something very sweet going on here smile.gif
  • achromatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achromatic polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to have opposing opinions to everyone else but i don't think you got the full potential out of your models with the final render.

Everything seems a little too obscured and non-focal.

i hope this isn't the last we see of these three