Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-47 Work In Progress

Volkov
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Volkov polycounter lvl 18
I've been working on this AK-47 for a few hours now, and most of the work is done, but I don't know what else I can add at the moment, can you offer me any suggestions or critiques about what to do next. If so I'd be very grateful.

Renders:

AKRender01.jpg
AkRender02.jpg

Wire Frame Renders:

AKWireframe01.jpg
AkWireframe02.jpg

Bear in mind, this is only my third model, the Polygon count is 1178, and the UVW map is yet to be done. I did this with a polygon budget of 1500 polygons, I made this model for a Command & Conquer Renegade modification called, Red Alert 2 : Vengeance.

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    From taking out my AKM from the closet and looking it over. the errors I see are:

The cuircular hole for the front sight post isa bit too large. There is no Safety/selector switch, but there is a thickening of the barrem at the gas port on the barrel for the retunr to the gas piston. The rear sight is too wide (it is slightly narrower than the lower reciever, and the ,ower forestock. Depending on the make, the shoulderstock may have an eliptical cross section, rather than being slab sides, but that is your call, the Pistol Grip could be simplified a bit. The general level of geometric detail seems a bit inconsistent, but on the whole, you have the proprtions of the weapon nicely laid out. Is this a single piece mesh, or is it a composite of separate geometry?

Scott
  • Volkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a composite of several pieces of geometry, the main body and the butt-stock are one piece, the trigger, and clip release are seperate, the forestock, the barrel, the aim etc are all seperate pieces. I was thinking of collapsing the model, would you say it's better to keep them seperate or not? Thanks for the critique, I knew this forum was cool from day one.

EDIT:

Looking at a rear image of an AK-47, I noticed that the butt-stock becomes slightly wider at the back.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some general crits:
    First check this link for some extra reference pictures:
    http://www.superiorgunsonline.com/New%20Folder%20(8)/New%20Folder%20(16)/16.htm
    The grip isn't done, the shape isn't refined enough yet but you have more that enough polys there to play with it some more.
    The buttstock should/may (just as Scott says) have a oval cross-section and a slight indention where the stock meets the body.
    You haven't modeled the auto/semiauto switch from what I can see (it's the big semi-triangled shape on the right side of the gun). This might not be necessary however if you never show that side.
    The bottom of the main body of the gun actually curves upward, something it seems that your model does, but try to make it a little more obvious.
    No shell ejectionport yet...
    The trigger should be a little fatter in profile and curve upward more at the end.
    The hole in the bottom of the front-sight should be retangular not round (atleast from my reference). You could save some polys there.

Good start, keep at it. The profile is almost spot-on. And make sure that your skinner keeps all the indents between the different parts in mind when he/she creates the texture.
  • Volkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, those are some great references. I'm now offering the model to a modification for Battlefield 2 as well, which allows a nice budget of 3000 polygons, so I think I'll add in as all that detail. I'll show you the results when I get it finished.

I'm not to sure how it is with the Battlefield series, wether in first person if the right side is ever shown, or if it's just a mirrored version of the left, but just in case I will model the safety.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    If you are doing another version for BF2 I would definatly suggest that you model what I can only assume is some kind of gunsight. It's in the middle of the gun, right on top and it's (quite possibly rightly so) completly missing from your 1500 poly version.

Forgot this link last time I posted, CS site with skins, new versions and reskins of the Ak-47. Might come in handy:
    http://www.csnation.net/skins/browse_skins.php/ak47/
  • Volkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did model my AK-47 off several different sources (Mistake I admit), the gap in the front side was circular, but I'm going to change it, and the gaps on both sides of the main body where different from the source you showed me, you see Birdhouse's AK-47 (third image from the top), I want my AK to look exactly like that. Only difference will be, there will be one author instead of five grin.gif

Polyrender1.jpg

I'm also going to add more detail to the clip, as well as model the safety catch, and several bolts, as well as smooth more edges etc. Once again I appreciate all the critique more than you'll ever know.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Much better! and it's the early model with the "milled" reciever, rather than the stamped metal one.

scott