Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio pimp (lots of images)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks,

i am currently working on my portfolio for my university application. I want to study visual communications (that is tradtional graphics and design) and for this reason i have to fill up my portfolio with more or less non gameart. I am going to add more and more pieces constantly and need you advice, crits and comments. What is good, what is bad, should be kicked, should be changed, blablabla.

The professors or teachers want to see lots of photography and computer made designs: Typography, logodesign and layout are the main criteria.

I also add my sketchbook and maybe one or two hand crafted art pieces.

+++UPDATE+++

Steampunk
steampunk_flyer.jpg
It was a photo of a manometer i took in Basel, Switzerland. I wanted to combine them somehow with a valve, turned out shitty so i overpainted the whole stuff, copy and pasted, had fun with the calligraphic brush and used lots of texture and stuff. It is just a "fun" work.

Your name (working title, suggestions?)
phasepsd.jpg
One of the works to be placed more about the end. It is just a fun work. The emblem (which is the "ION" word just with another font and decreased tracking) reminded me of MORTAL KOMBAT somehow, so thats the reason for the typo used here.

+++UPDATE+++

rerock lineup
rerock_lineup.jpg
I wanted to create a basic lineup of musictools with logos and little description text (well you know what these are if you used a music app before).

Beast and Rider
beastandrider.jpg
Some may remeber these guys. made a short rig and some shadereffects and added lights.

+++

KOPFSTEIN *updated*
Kopfstein.jpg
A p7hotomanipulation. Wanted to add some typography, ignore the (R) it will be resized.
I flipped the image, decreased the size of the emblem.

.tatenrausch
tatenrausch.jpg
I color composition. It should be a poster for a exhibit.

Cigarette dog (WIP)
cigdog2.jpg
A illustration i started long time ago. Yet unsure if i should put it into the portofolio since it doesn look that fresh anymmore.

Dirt and Dust : Yard
dirtndust_yard.jpg
A photo i took in Basel, Switzerland. Dirt and Dust is a series is stared long time ago, takeing photos of dirty and gritty stuff, so more to come soon

+++UPDATE+++

ION Advert
ion_advert.jpg
The aim was to make a advert for a parfume. School assignment.

School for digital arts Advert
SFDAD_rock.jpg
First poster of the series of two. The other one will have the headline "You rule" showing a ruler made out of polies in a 3D app. It is for a imaginary school for digital arts and design. Baicly my dream school laugh.gif. The idea is more or less hooked from Spongebob the movie, they sing a song at the end with the phrase "i wanna...rock!" While the chorus says "rock" a picture of a rock appears. It was so incredibly funny i couldnt hold my self.... thats for the story time... The other poster will be uploaded soon

+++
I hope you like it so far. More stuff will be added.
Crits and comments are more then welcome

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome. I always loved that dog portrait. You will get in for sure, don't worry. GO GO GO.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi Shimmer

to witch uni do you want to go?

this stuff is realy cool.. and i also think u get in!
    but do you have talked with the Stra
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    the (r) ist just fun.

I want to study in karlsruhe on the HFG.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Shim, I'd say the lower jaw of the dog looks almost polygonal in nature, which is a sharp contrast to the painterly textured look of the rest of the piece. Thats all that spoils it for me.
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe scooby,
    its strange, soem say it looks awesome because of the contrast t the dog itself and in combination with the cigarette. Some say its just odd like you did smile.gif Well, we will see what is going to happen with him.

Come on guys! Let me her some crits adn stuff. Its a bit offpolycount but hey. Art is Art.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay Shim yay!

I thought that the dirt and dust picture was a painting at first... cool!
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey shimmer,you will get in no probs my man!!...

I really like the dust and dirt pic,did you set that up or wa sit a random backstreet somewhere,looks cool.

I wish I got into more photography frown.gif

John
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ye I'm sure youll get in shimmer. Anywhere in the world art institutes get far more "credit" for their entrance level portfolios. Its probably alot easier than you think, and this kind of work will *easily get you to most visual communication programs I can think of.

Be sure, though, to be honest when writing your resume. Your honesty goes before your name as an artist. Even being young, amibitous and patientless artist doesn't mean you should put anything you might have had Something to do with in your resume. Put only things you have actually Done.

Good luck, you have a good drive and good talent in your luggage.
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the nice encouragement. Ahrm, yet it was not that what i wanted. I need crits! Lots of it to make it look better.

You maybe know that i am "talented" (its still hard work!) from my previous works for competions or posts (whatever bla) . Professors dont. They want to know what i actually can and in what i am interested in and willing to improve more. Since this school has nothing to do with gameart i have to put all my graphical stuff into it. Its is not as good as my gameart stuff obviously and i am not so confident with it. So any advice, any help or hint would help me.

Not want to sound too rude and harsh, i am very thankful for all good lucks, but atm i need advices and comments on this works. The portfolio is not yet finished and i not want to just relay on the comments from friends and family (though they dont know too much about what art really is).

Shotgun: I am maybe the most honest guy in universe. I am going to be the same guy for my resume ;-)

Thanks
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Shimmer: I think, if I were a professor at Uni, I'd want to see more stuff. 4 pieces aren't really much to go on.
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    thats the reason its not finshed yet laugh.gif and still WIP
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    update above. I am a bit concerd about the ion advert. is it too curly and crazy for the eye? Is the direction really given? does it do the "thing"?
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    does it do the "thing"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly does my thing!
  • Prs-Phil
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hey shim, ... nice stuff going on there smile.gif

I personally think the ion image is to heavy. To much going on leading away from the actual product.

cool stuff anway and cool to see that the kopfstein has been changed to look even better.
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    update above. I am a bit concerd about the ion advert. is it too curly and crazy for the eye? Is the direction really given? does it do the "thing"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything looks great except the ion advert. I don't know if green was a requirement but its not the best choice of color IMO. Often in cartoons, games, movies, just about anthing visual you can't smell, green gasious clouds stand for rank, dirty, poluted, foul smelling air. Technically I like it, but it if its for a perfume, it makes me think oscar the grouch before bath day.

This is just a creative suggestion and it depends on what the client is looking for, but you could weave a half naked female model into the smoke as if she is made out of it. Not so blunt as to hit you the first time you look at it, but if you stop and stair you would see her. Think, perfume = hair? You almost have that going now...

At the very least a color change is in order, just my opinion, I could be way off =D
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks vig. i guess i stay with the green anyway, since ION is just green for me. But thanks anyway smile.gif

Made a little update. Critics and comments are highly desired
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    keep adding.. latest piece. descrioption above

rerock_lineup.jpg
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE

added the beast and rider.
    beastandrider.jpg
  • RageUnleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Good work all around dude! The beast and rider particularly roxor my soxorz. I'm definitely interested in checking out more of your photoshop painting pieces.
  • Sa74n
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    love your style, shim!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    man this ion thing rockos very hard!!