Home Technical Talk

lookat constraint

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
I've got a weird joint on a robot to rig, a lookat constraint would be perfect but I only want it to rotate on one axis, is this possible? I've been trying for ages to no avail :/. I've also tried playing with wire paramaters but it seems that if you wire to an ik'd bone, it doesnt register the objects rotation. any ideas?

I originally tried linking to the bone and deselecting inherit y and z transforms so it only rotated on x. that works until the robot itself rotates and then the piece just keeps its original orientation in space.

heres a pic:
joint.jpg

as you can see, I want the grey cylindrical bit to rotate when the arm does, but only on the one axis paralell to the body, while the ball in the socket is free to move in any direction

cheers!

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason, I can't see the picture so it's kind of hard to know exactly what you mean. But what version of what program are you using? I'm assuming you're using Max, but I guess other apps would have lookat constraints too.

Maybe you can post a stripped down version of the file with only the area that you're having trouble with.