Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some random objects

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Hehe, don't laugh :P. But I'm doing little objects for a half-life mod. I know i know, I can already here the words "newb" spewing from all around me. Well anyway, I thought it would be good practice untill I can get into college.

First is a chest, and since it is a resident evil mod, I tried to model and skin it to the original games likness.

chestdoneness13iq.jpg

Next are some herbs, the original green, blue and red from the game:

herbsdone26qn.jpg

Some cheap debris (I know the cans are really ugly and generic, I got kinda lazy with them):

rocksd17dk.jpg

cansdone4gz.jpg

Some pieces of generic wood:

pboardnew7iu.jpg

And last but not least are some street cones, three different skins for different situations, bloody, dirty and clean. (my friend eclipse wanted me to try this kinda of presentaion, I kinda like it)

conesrender2el.jpg

Comments are appreciated, and some suggestions would be cool.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok I got dibs on the dirt comment! unless its set in a construction yard with newly supplied wood, I'd weather/age those planks. Like the chest, maybe a bit more wear and tear on it too?
  • Synista
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synista polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, however, the cone could use some contrast, and the wood is a bit too plain.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I agree, the wood looks too polished. I will probally redo it. But I pumped these all and some others out in 3 days, not too bad :S. Alot of them where rushed, I kinda took my time on the chest though, that was the most interesting to do. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definatlly fix that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I don't think you can cut planks of wood to be that long with a grain like that... it'd have to run parallel to the longest edge, unless you've found a REALLY wide tree to cut it from smile.gif
    The rest is pretty good.

I agree with rooster, a bit more wear and tear on everything. You say it's for something like Resident Evil? I don't think the world of Resi is filled with brand-new store-bought cones and planks of wood... everything's been around for a while, dirty/scratch it up a little. Make it look like part of a world, not part of a showroom.

The plants don't look very realistic as recolours - it looks like you've just slapped a red/blue Colour blend layer in photoshop, which is making them all the same hue... put some hue variation into the tips of the leaves and the base of the roots and they'll look more realistic, even though they're a "non realistic" colour.

Go for it!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Your completly right. I need to come here more often....

As for the cones, the leader of the mod told me the storyline is set inbetween RE2 and RE3. So I found some RE3 refs and saw the cones, and they where even more new looking then mine :S.These where the refs I used http://img15.exs.cx/img15/6892/conesref3we.jpg .But you have a point, I will fix that right away.

The herbs where very genericly recolored, I agree with that. Here are the maps, might help to crit, http://img111.exs.cx/img111/9907/herbmaps3oa.jpg

I really appreciate the fast relies, nice to have some advice smile.gif.

[If the links dont work when you click them, just copy and paste them into the address bar.]
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    heh it's always fun doing low poly items. These are great!

As an interesting little titbit of information, a guy I worked for in Japan, used to work for capcom a long time ago, and was on a team for all the item modelling in the resident evil game. They used softimage|3d back then, an evil program that seems to be very popular in Japan - even used today on gamecube titles, VF4 and so on.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that really is interesting. I might just have to track that program down for some S&G. And heres my new project, a chewed off limb:

handlimbwip14ff.jpg

Not so chewed yet, just did the basic skin, then comes the fun part smile.gif. Took about an hour and a half to model and skin, I think thats a personal record laugh.gif.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks very cartoony when (at least the new version for the Gamecube) the Resident Evil games usally are the kings of dirt and grime. I would recommed sitting down with one of the games for the Cube, collect some items and examine them in the inventory. Then you can twist them ever which way and really get a look at how the dirty and dark the textures really are.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    116 Polies for each can ???!!!

Should be no more than 20 Polies or so.. How did it take that many ?? Or were you talking about the WHOLE SCENE at 116 polies ?? If thats the case.. than that IS a super low poly model...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think 20 is maybe a bit harsh, but I think they could probably be 56 or so without losing too much detail. These days though does it make much difference unless its for a console? even then?

Well, unless its set in a can recycling depot :P
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Well the reason for that is there is an extra slice in each can, in the middle of the can, so it can be crushed, but I didn't really have a poly limit for any of these.

[EDIT]

Oh, and heres the bloody version of that hand:

handbloody6bc.jpg
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    some bones sticking out of the hand would be nice. or at least a texture suggesting that there are bones in there. also there is no transition between the bloody skin and exposed flesh.. maybe a darker red where the flesh should be?
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, Well since I wanted to kinda give the illussion a zombie was chewing on it, I wanted to leave teeth marks everywhere, and from what i see in the movies and what not, there where no bones slicking out, just flesh and blood. I'm going to redo the bloody one anyway, because I half assed it so bad...

Thanks for the idea, im gonna go reskin it now.

[EDIT]

This any better?

handbloody32mx.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    the skin needs to be more jagged at the edge
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster.. You're probably a little closer to a realistic number of polies.. After looking at the pic more closely I noticed the to and bottom edge of each can has a "lip".. I was originally looking at the second can in the top row (the red "coke" can and I could only figure about 20.. my bad)
    Thats what happens when a cop talks about modeling and polies.. LOL (Mouth shut from now on) laugh.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    unwrapping and texturing each individual pebble seems a bit odd - you could've had 4 or 5 generic stone textures sharing the same sheet and box-mapped each pebble, scaling and positioning your UVs to use the appropriate section of the bitmap. Faster, simpler, essentially more optimal

looking pretty good on the whole, though i agree with MoP about the recolouring on the plants - they look synthetic, like uniformally coloured plastic. You need more natural variations in colour over the base texture ... and this is something you can still keep with simple re-colourisng, as long as you play carefully with the hue/saturation sliders rather than an overriding colour layer.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Heres a baricade i did today:

baricade3jx.jpg
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Another static mesh, made for the kitchen of one of the maps "suburbia".

stovedone39ct.jpg