Home Technical Talk

How should I model large breast?

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I'm modeling a women without a shirt. At first I was going to model it with the breast as a part of the chest but that would look bad when and if it got animated. How should I model the breast so that they have the full range of motion plus lay naturaly on her chest?

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har, har, har. That's not helping. Are you laughing at my lack of experience or just the mentions of breasts?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Well the breast ARE part of the chest, at least they are tightly attached to it tongue.gif

Maybe a bit more information on what your problem is exactly would help.
    It is just the shape of the mesh? If so, have a look at the approximatly 1 billion nude female models on CGtalk, some of them are even very well done tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry. I've never heard "full range of motion" when referring to breast. That's normally associated with muscles and joints. So you want large knockers that sag, bounce, hang, and wobble? And how would it look bad to be part of the chest?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok normaly I model breast straight out from the chest(think lump or small hill) where they naturally lay, this time I want to model them so that I can turn the model upsidedown and the breast more or less follow theirnatural course(think fun bags that shoot out from the upperish part of the chest and lay seductivly on the lower part). So that they 'sag, bounce, hang, and wobble'. I'd just like to get this right...
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Is this really a modeling question though, sounds more like a rig setup one. Making large breasts is fairly easy, just look at photos to get the shape and edge flow right. The more triangles you have in the mesh, the more you can do with it if you have the bones setup, and the verticies weighted properly. If you think about it, breasts are really just lumps of fat, so they're just a pair of deformed geospheres hanging off of the pectoral muscles. I don't know what else to say.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think you should email me all your reference material so i can check it for suitability( ahem)
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    b00bz.jpg

Thats how i would do it if i wanted a boob that can look good in upside down position.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Per128, this is very true, I was gonna try and rectify this with my next model.

Toomas seems to have the right idea... just make sure there's enough polys for correct deformation.
    If you think about it, all you need to do is model stuff perfectly anatomically correct, and then just work out the rig - if it happens in real life, it should apply to deforming meshes too... just it might take some weird bones/physics setup.
    Probably the way Toomas suggested is easier if you wanna save time on the rig. Nobody will ever notice the clipping when they are resting against the torso.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree frown.gif
    Maybe using morph targets for certain situations (for example, when lying on her back, or leaning forward as you say) might help, if complementing bones.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I was assuming your model will be low poly and with not too huge boobs (or with silicons *yuck*).

BTW i think Vampire: Bloodlines has dynamic boobs and it uses HL2 engine so you might want to look into it or whatever confused.gif
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    @Weiser_Cain: Maybe it would be a good idea to draw a picture of what you mean exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you think about it, breasts are really just lumps of fat

[/ QUOTE ] Well, actually they are not: tongue.gif The breasts of young women consist mostly of glandular tissue. Because of this they are useally firmer than the breasts of an older women, which contain a larger percentage of fat. More fat means softer and saggier breasts.

You may want to check out this page about basic breast anatomy wink.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mums the word on Vampire's model format so no go there, plus the breast move nicely but are modeled much like any other breast.
    Breast.jpg
    How do I go from the first to the second?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Morph target? If you have enough edge loops, and spend enough time tweaking (soft selection in 3dsmax, if you're using it), it shouldn't be too difficult.