Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

caltech environment model

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
polycount!

Hey guys, I'm revamping an old env model from a year ago back when I didn't really know what I was doing. I'm just touching up the textures and hopefully learning how to use lightmaps. I will be adding some funky vegetation as well. This is modeled after the Beckman Institute quad at caltech, hence the uninteresting fountain in the middle. Hopefully that will be updated as well. I am modeling the thing in fourths so it will be duped around a central axis.

Heres an early lighting test, its supposed to be daylight, early afternoon lighting, lots of hard shadows.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great start, dabu! As always, looking forward to where you take it. smile.gif
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    small update

cheers cholden. reminds me of that jill scott track, living my life likes its cholden...
    The lighting is working for me but how do I make it look more like water in the middle?

Is it hard to add a sky? I tried using an image plane, but it wouldn't show up in my viewport in Maya.
    4.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Water can be treated very similar to glass, since they are both reflective and transparent. It's possible to use a small point light in your water to give it light reflecting effect. The colors depending on what the water is in, such as yellow/white if the fountain is white, but light blue/aqua color can add a lot to you area.

As far as overall lighting, yellow/orange for sun, a light blue from the opposite sides to reflect the sky, and a tan/brown from below to reflect the ground. With the green from your foliage, you could have strong use of the color spectrum.

Old stand-by tip: test your lighting without textures and watch out for solid black or white spots.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Played around with Paint Effects to try some procedurally generated trees, but I didn't like the bark. Liked the leaves though. Im using Maya 5.0 and its really laggy. I'm trying to paint just one tree, but I seem to create multiple trees with one brush stroke, and they are like 20,000 tris each and my computer just farts and falls over when I try to convert them. Sigh.

So now I have cool looking leaves, but they are still wayyy to complex for game art, each leaf is like 8 tris or something ridiculous. I need to spend a lot of time tweaking to get what I want from paint effects

So the leaves don't really line up well with my tree trunks, but they cast some cool shadows. The atmosphere is there, but the scene is really boring. It looks too much like an architectural rendering, not a fun, interesting game level. any suggestions?

5.jpg6.jpg
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I have two suggestions.

Place the scene in a game and see how it looks, good luck with translating the leaves. You might want to do a single plane with groups of leaves painted on them with a opacity and scatter those, and see how that looks. It won't look as good as they do now, but it might lower the polycount for you and possible give your computer some speed.

Or give over to that this scene is a architectural rendering. The biggest thing that might be driving you nuts is that it’s so perfectly symmetrical and clean. Very clean. Place some Mountain Dew cans and a trashcan where people missed the basket. Normal college students disaster zone type stuff.

Its very beautiful and peacefully looking, Dabu. So how long did this take you?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This is really damn good Dabu! Damn, you didn't hang around with this one! Making up for lost time spent spinning on the floor huh? ;-p

I *know* you probably want a 'gamey' look to the lighting, but radiosity is often baked into world geometry these days. This scene is absolutely *begging* for an AO/radiosity pass.
    Obviously that central bush needs some luvin' and some of the UV's on that semi-circular concrete bench in the foreground look strange. But really nice work. No suggestions for making it more like a game level, but I like Lores suggestions for making it feel recently occupied.

Oh and If you're interested in the radiosity and not sure, ping me and I'll go over it. At the very least get some blue in those shadows.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Daz,

spinning on the floor, hehe. I do like Lores suggestion, but I won't get to it till tomorrow, got a gig today. I took a ton of reference pics since I walked around the quad for days. It does need trash cans, and litter and a few more chairs. This is "next gen" cause each chair is 800 tris. Ha. I had alpha planes for the leaves, but in Maya 5, alphas don't cast proper shadows, they just look like solid planes. So having actual geo for the leaves makes the shadows accurate. They fixed this in 6.5 apparently.

When I made this 1 1/2 years ago, it took me a while, like 3-4 days to model and 4 days to texture. It also had no lighting and the textures looked really bad. I spent 5 hours cleaning it up yesterday, my I've come a long way in that time.

Heres an old image of what it looked like and a ref pic
    7.jpg8.jpg
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Have you tried using any layered textures before? They can totally change any large, flat, dead looking areas. You can also use them to add a nice, random dirty edge where walls meet the ground. You just need enough verts in the appropriate areas. Even the PoS2 can handle using a few of 'em.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I understand the issue with the shadows. I'm a little more experienced with Max. I had a Raytracing Directional light with transparency set to on and I still had issue with it casting the correct shadows.

So I came up with a different cheesy solution. Projection map. Slap down a plane on the ground and fake the leaves shadow. This might get you past the ‘none ability’ to create traced out shadows from the leaves. But if the Unreal3 engine is what games will be like in the future, then ignore this really cheesy suggestion, but it might be something to think about for other things. grin.gif
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad idea Lore, I remember being show that sort of work around on the PS2.

Hey Cheese, how do I implement that? Do I just add some planes and put alpha textures on them in the corners? It does need edgwork, everything is o clean right now.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    looks ace sort of vice city look to it.. just a question how does baking lighting to the model work.. what about mirrored parts!? i dont understand how this works?

Jody
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, your Outliner was horrific :-) I dunno how you work like that. I ended up having to combine the model for various reasons, but If you clean the file and get it organized, you shouldn't have to do that.

Anyway, one directional raytracing light set to 1.5 intensity ( perhaps a little hot ) with a reddish hue, a sky blue picked out as the env. colour for the camera, final gather ticked on in the render globals ( G.I off ) and globals quality set to production. For finished renders you could up the FG rays to 10,000. This was just 1000, hence the blobs.
    Have mailed you back the file ( but obviously it's only of use to you as ref. All the materials are gone ) Anyway, more realistic lighting is just showing off really, but something to think about. An understanding of more complex lighting techniques can only be one more thing to impress a potential employer with. It really brings the scene alive.

*EDIT* might help If I actually included the images

dabu1.jpg

dabu2.jpg
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I was think more of the lines of cheese on crackers option. Or cheese on bread and grilled tool. Maybe we should ask a cheese-head on the best way to do this... grin.gif

I guess I should drop these cheesy slices of jokes. crazy.gif