Home General Discussion

Gah, this is disturbing.

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
With that SABot mod for Doom 3 I got my first chance to try out my models in a real fight (the files need some adjustment, just dropping 'em in there won't get you anywhere). Seeing Doom 3's blood decals on them was certainly a weird experience (though sometimes it looked funny when e.g. I shot Ryoka in a way that looked like she had a serious case of diarrhea). However, that's not the real issue. Since the bots are still kinda dumb (though thanks to Doom 3's AI they can at least find their way through the levels, unlike even later versions of the HL bots I used back then...) I tried meleeing 'em, just for fun. Kinda futile, they're damn good shooters and surviving a fight against them is hard. I tried the fist on the various characters. I got to Myako (that schoolgirl). Suffice to say it's really damn disturbing to see your virtual hands smack the head of that girl against the walls of the levels (the bots sometimes stay in corners, the head didn't really hit the walls but it still looked like it). At close range and the speed of a deathmatch her face looked jus real enough to make me question the morality of putting such a character into Doom 3.

To sum it up: I've removed the download from my website. Hitting schoolgirls in the face with such a realistic depiction (not even screams, different sounds for the characters obviously aren't possible yet) is something I don't think even the adults Doom 3 is meant for should do. I dont see a problem with Ryoka, she looks abstract enough to not resemble a real person and not exactly "helpless".

I dunno, Doom 3 just beats all the other FPSes I've played on the disturbance scale when it comes to these things. Quake 3, UT, Half-Life (2)... None of them are even close to this. They're more funny and abstract, not so close to reality (hitting people with a crowbar or some abstract scifi stuff isn't exactly something you can relate to).

Maybe I should've thought of that beforehand...

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I personally don't see the harm in smashing virtual anime girls into smithereens.

you should be more worried about you can relate anime girls as real... laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well as long as we all respect others personal limits of where that line is. (Thats for both sides)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: That's the problem, it's not an anime model:
    shot00010.jpg
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Bravo, KDR, for your sense of good taste!

It's one thing to judge someone else's content on whether or not you think it's 'out of bounds', but it's showing some real thought to draw your own lines involving your own work. I can understand how easy it must have been after fragging this young lady in DM a couple times, but not everyone shows that kind of restraint.

/jzero
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    KDR, you have definitely earned my respect.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Not to hijack your thread but where are you finding Doom 3 PPMs? My interest in Doom 3 has been rekindled recently with the purchase of a new video card. I haven't had any luck finding PPMs for DM though.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AZ: Since I pulled Myako I've got only one left, here. That also includes the mod required to make them run since Doom 3 doesn't support PPMs by itself. Vahl and teddy have some AFAIK but they never released them to the public.

jzero: There's a certain difference between the abstract violence of shooting someone with a futuristic (or even real) weapon and seeing "puffs" of blood fly, that's almost cartoon violence (although at some point even cartoon violence can disturb me, mostly dismemberment), and the down-to-earth look of hitting someone in the face with your fist and seeing their head fly back against the wall, leaving a blood splat, then recoiling forward and being hit again by your fist. None of this was real by itself,the head didn't really hit the wall, it was just a flinch animation, the blood didn't come from that, it's just the effect of being hit near a surface and the model doesn't even look particularly realistic unless you don't see much more than the face AND don't look too closely but how it all came together... I don't even want to think about how it feels to kill someone in real life...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Well you have to show screenshots, otherwise we can't believe you tongue.gif

Sorry just joking, I think I understand what you mean, and it is certainly a good experience and a thought provocing for yourself, but do you really think that by removing the playermodel from your page, you can actually do something against violence (against children)?
    Someone could even argue that by letting others experience what you obviously just experienced, you can open their eyes (a bit).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually someone could argue that by letting others experience what you obviously just experienced, you can open their eyes (a bit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone would already have to have such a mindset first. It would be like preaching to a queasy choir.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Someone would already have to have such a mindset first. It would be like preaching to a queasy choir.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, lots of people simply don't think about stuff like that, or might think in an abstract layer that hitting children is good for them (old fashioned style), these people might change their oppinion if they are confronted by this in a very drastic and visual way.

On the other hand, you will certainly not change someone who regulary hits children/woman, by making a Doom3 playermodel available or not.

And for people living out their secret (sick) dreams of hitting children/woman in a game... well, maybe they don't do it in reallife then.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've removed the download from my website. Hitting schoolgirls in the face with such a realistic depiction is something I don't think even the adults Doom 3 is meant for should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. You are a respectable gamer. Now if only game developers were as intelligent as you.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JK: No, I don't think I'm preventing any actual violence, against children or otherwise, by removing the model, I'm just doing it bcause that experience really disturbed me and I just don't think it'd be the right thing to ignore this. Whether this is an eyeopener or not is nothing I'm willing to find out myself, if other people want to try they're free to do so I guess.
    BTW, screenshots wouldn't do it any justice, it's how everything came together.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    how would you feel if you did this in third person?
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    mhmhmhm yea well isnt that game just for matures anyways?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qubism: Mature or not, I don't think that's suitable for anyone. Games like Manhunt aren't suitable for anyone, either.

Marine: 1. From a distance it wouldn't have been even half as realistic since it's easier to see what's going on.
    2. There's something much more active about attacking in first person with a "weapon" you actually have.
    If there was a game that realistically portrayed you smashing people's heads into walls and cracking their skulls I wouldn't find that funny either. I wouldn't play Manhunt.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I can't help but disagree with you saying Manhunt isn't suitable for anyone. I've watched someone play it and played a bit myself, and it just seems to be a mediocre sneak-em-up with some shock value stuff thrown in. As long as someone playing it acknowledges that all they're really seeing is polygons offing each other I don't see it as a problem, and I think it's up to the individual what is or isn't suitable unless they are underage.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, okay, I've only read descriptions (aka reviews, serious ones, not some concerned christian crap) of the game which claimed it had really realistic depictions of the violence involved but I still insist it's glorifying violence (by making more brutal kills seem "desirable" by making you charge up to use them. So they're more valuable, right?). Perhaps it helps that the enemies are faceless goons and not real characters that seem like they could actually exist.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Did you feel ashamed? Cudos to you for acting in this way, taking down the download like is efectively destroying your creation for everyone else .... darn , i wanted to try this model when i had time ....

I do agree with Makowka to a certain degree.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I agree it does glorify violence, but at the end of the day its harmless as long as people realise its make-believe. I fully admit to laughing at it- not really at the dead guys but more at the developers increasingly desperate attempts to shock me.

but while I disagree with censoring other peoples work, I do totally support your decision to remove your own, it demontrates moral integrity.