Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Police Sprinter

Sett
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sett polycounter lvl 18
sprinterpimp.jpg
5080 polys
My first complex design,model,uv mapping & skinning project.

The concept is a futuristic cop car.
Scifi BS stuff- A methane turbine powers magnetic generators in the inner hubs. The tires 'float' in a magnetic field. Shifting the field pulls the tires forward. The car is skinned in a poly-titainum mesh. The skin is has dynamic pigment properties, meaning- the car can display any required message(this works in-game!).

Spinning beauty .mov12M

flat- I feel that my 2d work is poor at best, I need ideas on how to stress -to make it look used. Too shinny and new.
sprinterg.jpg

In game shots (UT2004)
ingame_01.jpg
ingame_02.jpg
ingame_03.jpg

Wanna play with it? d/l with large test city14M

Replies

• Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of the ad police squad car from the BGC 2032 Ova series.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Man you have had that car for what seem like forever. That or someone else made that car too.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i LIKE it!! bet it looks good in ONS-urban
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks ace! how does it display messages?
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty cool, but the wheels look a bit blah from a distance. I think it would look better if you removed the bolts from the outer rim. Also, you could put some black specs across the front and over the bullbar for the flicked up gunk effect. If you know what I mean.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett: Could you provide a SDK ? I'd love to have one of my friends do a skin for this! its BochiBalls exterem!
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Thank for all your input.

Thegodzero -no it was just me, due to reallife I didn't have much time to work on it, also as stated it was my first so my workflow was flawed at best. I've learned allot, and extremely relieved to put this one to bed.

sundance -get your copy of ut working again and d/l my city test map! This baby was coded to burn rubber.

rooster -every 3sec. the METRO switches to POLICE (you can see that in the bottom two pics). I was thinking of having it rotate through 'police' in different languages but adding a 1024x1024 img for every one would have been too heavy.

nealb4me -aww the bolts are only thing I liked about the rims. frown.gif

Herr-Maesrto -thanks, have your friend email me a pic when he's done.
    www.Sett.tv/Sprinter_SDK.zip
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. I'll give it a spin. maybe even try a skin for it, as I cracked the Carpaint Code.

Scott
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thank for all your input.
    Herr-Maesrto -thanks, have your friend email me a pic when he's done.
    www.Sett.tv/Sprinter_SDK.zip

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime m8, talking with Vailias about it now should come up with a very sleek design. Will keep you updated.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, I think this is a sick design. Looks very fast and stable, and I like that you took influence from current mid engine cars of the day, like the Countach. (Actually thats from the 80s, never mind, bad example) However, if the drive system is completely contained in the wheels, then there is no need for engine space behind the driver, except that it looks balanced based on our current standards for how high performance sports cars look and function

I know you've put it to bed, but if you felt inclined, you could use that space for a small holding cell pod for transporting criminals. Not needing to have room for the engine opens up all sorts of design possibilities, as there is now a ton of extra space to play with. But it might not look as tough and aggressive.

I don't have any links off hand, but as far as wheel design is concerned, some of the work coming out of Art Center (artcenter.edu) might provide inspiration. Your car seems to fit with that aesthetic rather well. Could you post wires? I'm inspired.

Also, to add tarnish, dirt maps are a good and quick way. If you need em, I collect all sorts of images for that purpose. Just use multiply in PShop, quick and easy.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    rooster -every 3sec. the METRO switches to POLICE (you can see that in the bottom two pics). I was thinking of having it rotate through 'police' in different languages but adding a 1024x1024 img for every one would have been too heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you considered re-uv mapping the model and adding a second, smaller texture? then you can create a panning or changing material via UT's texture browser and apply it to that.
    If you're unsure how to build a material, here's a good start, and I'll be glad to help if need be.
    (you could also apply this same idea to the light bar, interior dash, etc, to really bring the car 'to life').
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey Sett, that car rocks ! I loved in the tunnels! >_<;; (Sqeals in joy) The pulling of the 360's and 180's were hella fun! But I did notice something very odd when you get into the city itself. It lags! it felt like a blew the tires and hit gravel. and I accidently drove into one the buildings, couldn't get out ! LOL tried and had to commit suicide to get back to the team. Also is it possible to up the damage count a lil? oppasing teams can take the car out with the shield gun with like 2 hits. (I have a new 5600 Xt 256 card 512 on pc 3200 and a amd 2200 that should have handled the map fine but like I said tunnels worked great its outside in the city where you actually start getting huge lag...)
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    dabu- smile.gif It's a tiny little car! Designed for high pursuit.
    "H'ok scumbag get in!"
    "In what, the glove compartment?"
    (revs painstick)"Look mang, budget cuts, no paddy wagon- get in"
    "I can't fit in there! It's the size of a dishwash-AAAHHHHHH!!!"
    Thanks for the art center link.

Wires.
    sprinterwire.jpg

Scott -I'm humbled.

Herr-Maestro -With that city I was basically trying out different building technique. Using static meshes as entire buildings, using complex static meshes as cells making up one building (batching them), BSP brushes as single buildings ...etc. The 'hive' style building group has 2700+ of the same static mesh (in retrospect I guess that was a bad thing smile.gif ). The one thing I'm most proud of are the sidewalks -how I got them to flow with terrain actor.
    If I were to do another city(prob. will) I would do it very differently. Isn't interactive art fun?

flaagan- That feature was a last minute thing. I was undecided whether to go with METRO or POLICE on the side of it. So after finishing the top flashers(mat. sequence) it hit me that I could just do both. Giving the car a cool and relatively cheap effect. I guess the polys under the METRO/POLICE could be reassigned to a new material ID.
    Another feature I tried to implement was a unique number for the car's roof. A random number(000-999) that would be assigned upon spawnning, using the same technique that the Hellbender used for the personalized license plate(scripted texture). Just could not get it to work. I really pulled my hair out over that one and in the end had to abandon it.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent you a email with a set that might be a cool added test map maybe. Let me know what ya think.....
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you'll have to wait for me to play it. my UT2K4 still isn't installing...
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    argh sent you a email sett did you get it? There seems to have been a issue with my email and isp past few days.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Took it out for a spin on Tuesday night. The controls are tight, good scripting and it works well. You may want to make the car "heavier" as a function of velocity, as that would account for the ground effects "negative lift" shape . I love the way it handles in high speed that with a good 90 degree turn, it will swap ends (rear engine? so you can doo good bootlegger reverses.

This would work well in a "celan" urban environment with a large map. Brakes need work though.

Could I get a UV Wireframe please?

Scott

P.S. at some point, someone needs to make a truck that will hold up to 12 people, though...
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I played the other cars made by the Unwheel and UnrealSpeed teams. And one thing that struck me is the slow pick up and bad handling. These are the things that I really tried to avoid. Another goal was to make the car very easy to drive. Get in and go! Very small learning curve. You can forget about real world physics with Unreal vehicles. The body shape has nothing to do with how it handles -all coding & collision box. To make it do some of the 'drifting' style moves I had to kill allot of the lateral friction. Well the problem with that is the car tends to ssssssslide down the hill if you park it perpendicular to the grade. smile.gif

The brakes are way too strong. If you jump of a ramp and apply the brakes mid-air the car will *stop* dead, when the wheels touch the ground.

It's a trade off. Fun or realism. I'll go with fun any day.
    UT is rather cartoonist anyway.

Oh! you all would have loved the 2k3 ver. I had the parking brake bounded to the r-mouse. It made these wicked 180'. Then Epic goes and releases 2k4 and changes everything.

The UV wire is included with .psd file that is in the SDK.

Herr-Maestro Yes I got your mail. those buildings are a great start. My first building were ...well rather funky. You have to walk that fine line of 'this is a future building' and 'this is a practical building' -all the while keeping in mind what the engine can truly handle. I did allot of false starts when I was building that city, I swear I could do a 6 hour lecture on farting out cities for game engines. The trick is to make your road plan first, then build your city blocks and then your towers. Forget about ineriors( unless you have a team of 50). And keep repeating the mantra 'occlusion'. Hey if you guys playn my map give me a ring, you bet I'll play!
    Here is nice link for ref.s on brutalist architecture. Brutalism is very polycount friendly, looks cool too.
    http://www.emporis.com/en/ab/ds/sg/ra/bu/ca/ap/sy/mo/br/
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have some of the Materials if you want I can help out with some of that...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll download this tonight now i've got my UT2004 back

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like I finaly buttraped my two servers to death.
    I'll put it on my gf's one this morning.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played it, love it had one of my team mates fix a small problem that the sprinter had. I'll see if he'll come by and post it up for ya. But damn that thing rocks. BTW you and Flaggan I'm not sure as to cheer who on. Vailias however is still My # 1 Idol..... he just rocks. but You are right there next to him.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    awww, shucks. smile.gif

You can cheer for all of us I guess.. it's all good.

Hey if your running that map on a server drop me a note eh?
    sett@sympatico.ca
    Admin@sett.tv
    I'm sometimes around.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since my modem was being slow the other night, i'm going to dl this this afternoon, whilst i watch 'supervolcano'
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dl'd it. nice car. map sux, but you know that. had fun doing skids and 180s in the tunnels...
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett Email . Idea coming your way let me know what ya think?
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett, Sent you a concept piece. Hoping you got it and wondered if you could see what you could with it. Also have a max ver of a vehicle as well, but I really do not know jack crap about uv unwrapping. Think you could do a Earl Shive Paint job texture if I handed you the art for it as well? please let me know at your earliest convience. Also your website? What the heck is going on with that? I went to it and all the links sayyour hosting was hosed. Is there sometype of issue going on?
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo! Sett, we just got the Sprinter UDK-Friendly man check it out!

coolshit.jpg

What ya think man? Post up !