Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique time

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
Most of it is online now, so time to start the fine tuning.

Jon Murphy gameart portfolio

I already know about the first two shots in the Renderware FPS level being incredible dark. Price you pay for working on a laptop...

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey jon,

id say impressive stuff,neat site layout...its good,only buts I have is that:-

a) you have no texture flats..I mean its clear your texturing is very good but is your use of texture space as good? smile.gif.

b)no traditional,which really with your skill set shown I wouldn't have thought would be a problem,just I know that Uk companies specifically love the idea of good old pen and paper art work...if ya have teh same standard with the pen and paper why not show it ay?

Overall though id say neat,very neat and good portfolio overall.

John
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Cool site design and layout, and cool models/textures.

However, there is no contact info or a page for a resume' which seems rather important to me.

This is probably not the kind of crit you are looking for this far into it, but the mob thug has some very apparant UVW distortion on the side of the nose, which looks like it would be incredibly easy to fix. This might come across to a potential employer as sloppiness or laziness, and it is a high quality model other than that, so it would be a pity to let it be a blemish on your portfolio rather than a highlight.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Great work. I'm impressed. I have one word. R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I like the 3 buttons at the bottom of each image to see the wireframes and stuff, played with that for ages.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff dude. My main crit is the flesh tones for Riot Girl have way too much brown, they're letting down the character texturing side of your portfolio right now. The rest is strong stuff. Good luck!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Jon. Really nicely presented. Awesome cars. This is exactly how a reel should be presented, showing overlayed wires etc. I'm so lazy. It's amazing how many people I see get hired on the back of game screenshots as opposed to close scrutiny of actual assets. On the character side, this is gonna sound weird, but to me all of their noses looked like a slighty odd shape. Particularly around the nostrils. That's about the only thing that really stuck out to me.
    Oh and I recognised the Renderware trooper! I see that guy a lot smile.gif
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers all. Nice to know it looks like it is mainly on track.

CV link and info should be coming on the front page, and I'll probably add email to the top menu.

Easy enough to provide a texture flats button. Thank god for pre-planning the code.

Bronco. This is going to sound bad, but I don't actually have much in the way of traditional. I have drawn very little since university. I need to get into adrawing habit, and hope to start getting invovled with conceptart.org.

Yep MoP, I hate her skin, too. She will be going in for cosmetic surgery soon for new skin-tone and new hair. Much more cyber-goth.

Hehe Daz. Nice to know the guy is still around. Although I have the original with fixed eyes and rigged for facial aniamation.
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno if this is just my browser, but I'm getting horizontal scroll bars in 1024x768.

Not a big problem, but your site would just look smoother if everything fits onto one page without scroll bars.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I knew it would happen. Difficult to fit 800x600 image browsing plus the sidebar. I think I need to shave 20-25 pixels off somewhere in the css layout to have it fit in 1024.

My thinking was that most of the people looking would be art types running at least 1280x1024.

It is a little bit of a bugbear of mine of portfolios that resrtict to a tiny portion of the screen and spawn new windows to show images, so I tried to avoid it on mine.

*packs css style sheet off to weight watchers*

Aha, hopefully it should fit 1024x768 now