Home General Discussion

Recommended Firefox extensions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
I know a lot of you are users of Firefox. Having found the joy of the Firefox extensions, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good ones. Right now I am currently using adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ and Tabbrowser http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOneKEA/tabprefs/ Anyone else with any fairly useful ones?

(No, don't turn this into a browser flame war)

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't have mouse gestures, All-in-One Gestures is a nice one. Then again, I'm assuming everyone with Firefox just automatically goes and gets a mouse gesture extension, because they're so handy...
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    wot the hell is a mouse Gesture? i use firefox , but i dont know much about it.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Mouse gestures takes movement of the mouse and translates it to commands. Example being; holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse to the left will make the browser go back a page. Opera has had it for a while built in.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    wow , that sounds like a great idea ... ill have a look for some of these.
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I use those two also. Disable Targets for Download is pretty nice for eliminating those blank windows that sometimes pop-up when you click a link for downloading. The Auto Copy extension comes in handy sometimes, too. It automatically copies any selected text to the clipboard. No more having to waste the energy hitting Ctrl+C. wink.gif I use ForecastFox also for getting weather updates.
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    The bugMeNot extension rules, get it, love it. Perfect for nytimes.com sites that don't let you in to see without registering.

ForecastFox is great, the tabBrowser extensions rock, the dictionary search is great (especially for check your speellling in posts smile.gif ), adBlock is good too, and the "ieView" is useful for the times a page doesn't load inf Firefox (which is rapidly dwindling). Download statusbar is wicked, I don't see how you could manage without it. "allow right click" is good for sites that try to block you from saving the images.

Now, I only wish there was away to re-arrange the tabs when you have several open at once. I just want to drag n drop a tab to a new position, how hard is that?
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , i would like that tab feature ... in mozzila 1.6 (or was it 1.7 middle click opened in a new window .. and in firefox opens in a new tab .... so i had to get used to tabed browsing ... now .. i couldnt do without it .
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Colorzilla is pretty handy, it lets you have a eye dropper in your browser. Great for working on websites, when you are trying to tweak colors.
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now, I only wish there was away to re-arrange the tabs when you have several open at once. I just want to drag n drop a tab to a new position, how hard is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

As easy as downloading Opera, heh wink.gif

But seriously... I'm wondering how customizable the aforementioned mouse gesture plugin is. One thing that bugs me about opera is the inability to customize them, or better yet, add new ones.
  • MPBirdman
    Offline / Send Message
    MPBirdman polycounter lvl 18
    I know opera lets you edit what a certain gesture does, although it doesn't let you create custom gestures.
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    By customize, I mean add a custom action (like opening a bookmark) to an existing action, not just moving everything around wink.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    download it and find out? smile.gif
  • Seyiji
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Ask and ye shall recieve...miniT
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    ImageZoom is pretty sweet too. When you are working in 1600x1200 or higher and trying to keep your face a 'safe' distance from the warm, eye-vaporizing rays of your monitor, ImageZoom comes in handy to look at details of whatever picture you want. You can zoom up to 400%!
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    When I made the switch to FF I spent a couple days just grabbing every extension that looked remotely useful smile.gif Here's my list of (relevant) ones

Linkification, so you don't need to copy&paste text links you can just double click them.
    Super Drag-and-Go, click and toss a link/picture/text to open it in a new tab (and do a google search in case of text).
    Disable Targets for Download, stops blank download pages from popping up.
    Tab X, gives each tab it's own close button (I'd die without this, honestly).
    UndoCloseTab, if you accidentily close the wrong tab you can right click and reload it.
    Magpie, downloads all the media off a page.
    Nuke Anything, in case there is something specific that's annoying you on a page.
    ieview, loads a page in IE, for those pesky uncompatible sites.
    Context Highlight, select a word and you can highlight it throughout a page.
    Download Manager Tweak, gives more options about how/when it shows up.
    ImageZoomer, also zooms out which is nice for those "learn how to resize in paint you moron" instances.
    Allow Right Click, disables right-click protection.
    Gmail notifier, self-explanatory.

Takes a little longer to load than IE but god I love my Firefox.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    acc, if you use a mouse gestures extension, you can bind a motion to closing an individual tab (my Firefox seems to have individual tab close buttons as standard anyway?) ... I just hold down middle-mouse button, move the mouse downwards, and the tab closes. Middle-mouse, up and left to go back a tab, up and right to go forward a tab. Left and right for forward and back. Very fast and efficient... I start wishing Windows Explorer had mouse gestures sometimes smile.gif
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    download it and find out? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But that would involve actual work wink.gif

Also: Can't you close tabs in Firefox with a middle click on the tab (like in Opera)? I only use it once in a blue moon to check webpage compatability, but I seem to recall it doing that.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, yeah you can do that Asthane! Although I didn't know about it until now smile.gif
    Cool, I now have 3 ways to close a tab with a single mouse click...
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know a lot of you are users of Firefox. Having found the joy of the Firefox extensions, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good ones. Right now I am currently using adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ and Tabbrowser http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOneKEA/tabprefs/ Anyone else with any fairly useful ones?

(No, don't turn this into a browser flame war)

[/ QUOTE ]

mouse gestures are really handy when this forum automatically scrolls you to the bottom of a thread for no apparent reason
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Tab X, gives each tab it's own close button (I'd die without this, honestly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Middle clicking a tab label also closes the tab (which I found otu the hard way).
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well my middle button doesn't actually work, plus it really aggravates my hand to do it. I'm grown accustomed to swinging the mouse up it's really a mouse gesture in itself. Plus, I can select which one to close without having to have it open which is... handy (playing games? what are you talking about? I'm just searching google, see?).

I never had individual close buttons as standard, just a single close tab button. They added it in the update, maybe? I should try uninstalling the ext to see.