• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    in my couple months playing WoW, this is the one area where im about to break and blow up at someone.

'anybody looking 4 group?' drives me directly up the fucking wall.

4, u, ur.... ack, stop it.

not to change this in to a shorthand hate thread, 'pls,' and 'plz' are also top of my hate list.

now i will take daz's advise and sleep.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    I just remembered we had to study a poem about English pronunciation while I was still in High School. I just thought I would share, because I think it's a good read and fits the topic well. I just edited my post, because the poem is a bit too long to post on the forum, so I will just link it:

The Chaos - Dr. Gerald Nolst Trenite (1870-1946), a Dutch observer of English.

Note: I can't find the complete poem on the net; all miss a few verses. I got a copy in the lesson, but I don't have a digital version of it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tes: Heh, I think a great many native English-speaking people would have a problem reading that poem and getting it right.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it too, but thought is was way to stupid to respond to tongue.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by PaK
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Why should spelling on the internet be different from anywhere else?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed. If you're writing a letter to someone, you don't say "Dear m8 wot r u doing this summer cuz i need a holliday"... I don't know, maybe you do. That might be the problem!
    But if you can write legibly and correctly in real life, why not on the internet? What's stopping you? The only thing stopping you is laziness.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [violins]
    The last time I posted a thread about being annoyed Mop + the PC groupies raked me across the coals for it.[/violins]

[ QUOTE ]

And next time, read before you post. It saves a lot of hassle. Like me having to "clarify" myself here to protect against your mindless argumentative state of being.

[/ QUOTE ]

You jumped down my throat when I was venting about the self-defeating students the other week. Your comment was the most knit-picky argumentative remark on the whole thread. So you do this on a fairly regular basis yourself. It's not such a bad thing to have an argumentative spirit, anyways.

So pull up a chair, you're a regular at this table regadless if you are aware of it or not.

Furthermore, those who take a stance on this board end up clairifing for the next two maybe even three posts. Take Vermillion and I, we baby-step the slobbering masses through 75% of our posts that requires the frontal lobe, you're not alone...and it's no big deal. [slaps back] You're smart, so it's going to cost you *wink*

-R
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Jeebus, what's with the post deletion?! Now nobody knows what me and Rick were replying to!

Heh, "knit-picky" ... smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I was being rude, and I figured I should watch my mouth.

-R
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I have quite serious Dyslexia, i dont even know manny of the rules on grammar , and i cant spell.

so go easy on me smile.gif

Of corse , grammar and stuff dosnt annoy me when its done wrong , because i dont notice it .... but maybe if i did it would annoy me ..
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having learnt english on my own, from watching bbc kids early on, and a whole lot of british comedy later on, i know non-native speakers can get a lot of things wrong, such as then and than.
    Abbreviations (that quite often don't even abreviate!) irritate the living goddamned shit out of me.
    Plz, u, lmao, lol, rofl, UR, tu and fu (thank you and fuck you, respectively), and then ghetto-speech. You're on the internet, i have no reason to believe you live in compton, being under constant gunfire.
    Fucking well stop it allready.

I don't know why they're not happy when people explain it like this, i love it!
    i learnt a few things from this thread myself, and i'm pretty gratefull for it.

i find this website to be qutie interesting:
    http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/?view=uk
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, that is an interesting site, Pea... thanks for the link!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If it irritates people so, allow me to apologise for any offense I may have caused you in the past, via shoddy spelling and dubious grammar. Had I known that people took such things so deeply to heart I would perhaps have taken the extra effort to check and recheck my posts for errors. I shall endeavour to do so in future. For now I cast myself on the mercy of the forum. I am sorry.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I really didn't think a thread regarding your or you're could go for 3 pages...

As far as grammer goes, I'm not too bad, I mean I'm the son of an english teacher, my speech has been corrected since I had the ability to form sentences. Though typos do happen. I also seem to use "brb" when conversing on aim. I don't know why, I suppose it's because I'm in a hurry to do whatever I say I'll be right back from.

I don't have too much of a problem with people using net lingo, It's just like someone using bad grammer when they speak, though when it's a combination of the two, it's just painful to read. Though I've noticed that net lingo is starting to spread outside of the internet. Such as I'll here people say things like "W-T-F", and I my friend pointed out on one of those terrible candy hearts, and it read "U R A 10".I know, it's very sad.

Though I must say, it is fairly pleasant to see so many people concerned about grammer and spelling here, it sorta makes the board a bit more distinguished (Or elitist...).

That is a pretty interesting site Pea.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    personally I blame the mobile phone...though can't put my finger on why I do it..as I hate mobile freaking phones....apart from the fact im clearly one of the lazy gang.

john

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    myself, i don't give a toss about proper sentence construction or, to be honest, worry about semantics ... i type how i talk. However, i'll spell correctly cos it comes naturally to me...

thinking about this again, no-one should have a problem with someone else typing in a manner that comes naturally to them - this isn't school, we're not graded, it's totally informal. Just a laugh, really.

But "ur" is not natural: it's man-made Satan.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right there Dan smile.gif

How was that?

I read what was said , and i still dont know if i used it right.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I came across as arrogant or on a 'high horse', that wasn't my intent. It was more of an announcement of a personal pet hate and was meant to be taken somewhat lightheartedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmk?! Enough with the thread allready! I was hammered sorry! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Alcohol + Internet = No. Just no.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe , i seem to remember blurting somthing out toward Daz the other night while drunk, i cant remember what it was...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey , just checked out your folio Mop , nice work on the contest Win smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah! I knew it was worth getting a signature! Thanks - that was middle of last year though... I think I'd have had a fair shot at winning one of the more recent CGChat contests too, if only I'd ever finish my entries frown.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    if you can't stand a fair bit of misspelling then you need to steer clear of the internet. its like saying that cars anoy you, but then spend all your time hanging out in carlots. you your you're stuff rarely bothers me. the "u" type stuff does, cause thats not just accidental stupidity, "u r 2 dumb 4 me 2 talk 2" is stupid because some one is actualy making the effort to be stupid
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. Read my above post.

I am SOOOOoooo bloody sorry that I ever brought it up. Please everybody accept my eternal apologies. How DARE I bring up a pet peeve on the internet. Please put me out of my misery. It's the least I can do.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think anyone is expecting for the entire internet to clean up their spelling and grammar. We are asking for those of us who hang out at polycount to be mindful. It comes down to basic respect. Anyone who says otherwise is too lazy to make the effort (barring the medical cases Mop has already addressed). Don't make excuses, or be combatitive, just make an effort from here forward to be mindful of your communication. I know I am ten times more likely to give someone a helpful critique when they come across as intelligent individuals and not lazy goons.

I would hope everyone agrees we should try to communicate as smoothly as possible, and making an honest effort to spell, punctuate, and capitalize can go a long way towards that goal. How much longer is it going to take you per post after you get over the initial learning curve, ten, maybe fifteen seconds? Surely you can spare us that much time out of respect.