Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    this all seems so strangely familiar wink.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    everyone realizes that in EQ2 you could almost completely customize your characters facial appearance right? thats a first for an MMO i believe. granted the Asian dub looks a hell of a lot better, perhaps they dont get the option to customize their facial structure, ive noticed a lot of asain mmos are fine with clone hordes.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yep. Everyone realises that. That's clearly apparent in the Japanese versions too. Hence the still somewhat 'stuck on' feel to hair, eyebrows etc. In the original thread that we had here about crappy EQ2 characters, people established that the customization to which you refer was no excuse for nasty looking characters.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    You can't make art appeal to everyone,thats all there is to it,if turner really had so many complaints about his style would he not change it? No,because just as many if not more people like it.thats why I hated 5 or 6 examiners looking at my work at school and marking it,because my style might not appeal to them but would appeal to others,despite they fact they have certain guidlines to follow.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A valid point, but when the vast majority agree that the original EQ models suck bigtime, not particulalrly valid in this instance.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    It is certainly a bit hard to define what makes one form of stylization feel more or less "right" to the viewer. Personally I find both comic and anime exaggeration great in some cases, bad in others.

When it comes to the western EQ2 characters, the characters seem a bit hit or miss. Personally I found the texturing a tad on the bland side, with over-emphasis in tiling bump maps. When it came to comparing the western and asian translation, I find the asian versions much more appealing because the western characters tended to favor a bit more chunkiness, they had a bit of a blocky feel to them, meanwhile the asian versions are certainly more smooth.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    everyone realizes that in EQ2 you could almost completely customize your characters facial appearance right? thats a first for an MMO i believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eve Online did it before EQ2 wink.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    the DAoC catacombs models have facial morphs, not as many as EQ 2 but it managed to do morphs with good models and textures,