Home General Discussion

bullets or blades?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
it's a violent world, and people die all the time (sad, but true). I've been trying to avoid violent stuff for a while in my artwork, but have noticed a lot of peeps enojy modelling and drawing death related media. Anyway so what?! Which looks coolest? Guns or Swords?!?

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    MIND CONTROLL POWA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    swords will always look cooler . but sadly when a man with a .45 meets a man with a sword , the man which a sword is a dead man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    a French Flintlock Pistol Cutlass

guns are for sissy boys who don't know how to fight with honor. and the pistol helps to rid the world of those cowards.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    it's all about the blades.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, what do gunblades fall under?
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Swords are cooler because you need at least the basics of skill to use a sword or blade properly. Any monkey-brain can commit random mayhem with a projectile weapon.

/jzero
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hm, what do gunblades fall under?

[/ QUOTE ]
    "Nerd"
    Everyone needs a totable gattling gun, Vulcan Raven style!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Using a sword is just so much more stylish. It's also a lot more difficult to make a lucky kill. Hence, a guy carrying a sword is more impressive than a guy with a gun, as you tend to think "Damn, he must be good to be carrying that thing." Whereas, any idiot can carry a gun. But this does not make you tough, as it's a pretty simple to use weapon.

A swordsman is a martial artist. A marksman is a technician.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The obvious choice is swords. (blades of any type) Guns can look cool. But there is just something compelling and threatening about bladed weapons. They embody an elegance that guns will never be able to achieve. And naturally, the level of skill necessary to wield a sword is far more than that of a gun.

Of course, it only works in a fictional setting. In real-life, guns always win. All you have to do is run away as fast as you can while firing over your shoulder. Eventually you'll hit the sword-toting maniac chasing you. In the realm of non-existence, characters can possess skills incredible enough to make up the difference. (ninjas)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the "baseball bat with nails" option?

Swords are cooler. Guns are too impersonal as a tool of violence.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    gimme a frog-sticker. i'll cut joo!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    I LIKE GUNS THAT SHOOT SWORDS!!! and ninjas....
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    on topic though i would vote gun, i think you can have a bit more creative freedom when it comes to designing a gun to model versus a sword, swords only cut, you can have non-lethal guns or guns that sink ships....just my 2 cents
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    sniper who can kill you from 500 yards
    or
    guy with a big toothpick who can kill you from 5inches...

hmmm....

guns.

if you'd said LIGHTSABRES...no contest...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well , swords can be used in different ways , and this is reflected in the design ... a big 2 handed broad sword is gona be designed completly different to a rapier. also , different swords are used in different ways , a standard broadsword was actually used like a club most of the time , as it was too heavy to weild like a fencing sword , and samuri swords are designed to slice rather than chop , using the edge of the blade rather than the strength of the steel ... this is why they have a slight curve.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Swords are passe. They are for berds that prefer ritualized combat over the pragmatic option of just removing your enemies from your POV. Sure Ritual and dance look cool at the cultural fair, or the temple, but nothing for me beats the cold precision of machined billets of metal working in concert to put a lepet of jacketed lead through someones chest cavity.

What's even better are automatic grenade launchers, tank main gns and artillery.

Scott
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think there's any need to debate that guns are more effective weapons than swords, seeing as how all modern forces the world over use guns and not swords. That doesn't translate to what's cool, necessarily. I think both have some neat visuals, but go with swords for the cool factor in part because they're so anachronistic and in part because it presumes that the wielder is a more trained/skillful combatant or just plain fucking crazy.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proper machine guns are pretty cool , have you ever held a real .50 calibre MG round , its massive !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What looks the coolest? I would have to go with certain types of guns. Tiny bits of machined metal working to produce controlled chemical reactions. Not to mention all the years of enginering and refinement that goes into making a good gun. I always think things are cooler if they have more moving parts and things to marvel over.

What do you have with a sword, a flat piece of metal some monkey hammered flat. Swords have thier place and they are cool and all but really how much skill does it take to make or swing a sharp piece of metal, compaired to a gun? I'm not talking about proper form or the years you can spend studying different teniques, those can be done with a mop handle, and they are teniques that can be cool on thier own and shouldn't really factor into how cool the hunk of metal is. Any mokey with aposible thumbs can swing a machete. But with guns you have are required to have precision, practice and a certain level of know-how to maintain it. with sword you just need to remember to not grab the sharp part and whipe it off when you're done.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    It's a tough choice, but I voted guns. I agree with Foehammer that you can be a lot more creative whith them.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I voted for swords because I decided to.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, are you being deliberately obtuse or something? the earliest guns were extraordinarily simply things - cast cylinders, black powder, lead balls and a match. Not exactly precision engineering. At the same time, many types of swords are elegant examples not only of craftsmanship but also of metallurgy. Some types of japanese sword construction use five different graeds of steel at once, jacketed together to ensure that certain properties are distributed in certain places across the weapon. Hard but brittle steel along the edge, soft but flixble steel in the core, and various other compositions along the sides and back. You think a monkey puts that together? Both guns and swords have examples of shitty and meticulously fantastic construction.

Similarly, about the skill to wield one effectively... Man, I don't know where you're getting that one from. A five year old child can be a lethal force with a handgun, but he's not hurting anyone except possibly himself with a broadsword. At the same time, a master gunman can easily be killed by even the most novice marksman at twenty paces - as the saying goes: God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal. But with a sword... I've just got to assume you honestly haven't the foggiest idea about this. A novice swordsman against a master simply has no chance; defending the slashes and thrusts from someone who has picked up a sword for the first time is taking candy from a baby - awkward, off-balanced, over-reaching and easily defeated. It doesn't matter if this is kendo (which I've studied) or Olympic fencing or two half-naked Scots settling a dispute over who gets the last plate of haggis by swinging claymores at each other.

Swords take years merely to be competant with. A decent shooter can be trained in weeks, as the army has been proving for years.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I believe the question is, which looks the best. Guns are efficient at killing human beings you cold hearted murderous bastards!!! (just remember to wear your sword while poping that cap)

When I was little I always wanted a "chain sword" from warhammer 40k

(hey this poll thing is all messed up in firefox)
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's a violent world, and people die all the time (sad, but true). I've been trying to avoid violent stuff for a while in my artwork, but have noticed a lot of peeps enojy modelling and drawing death related media. Anyway so what?! Which looks coolest? Guns or Swords?!?

[/ QUOTE ]Swords that can deflect projectiles ala Grayfox from MGS grin.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Plus with swords, you get more intricate looking armor. With guns, you just get a vest that looks like couch cushions strapped to your chest.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't buy the whole creativity issue. When's the last time you saw a real BFG? When you blur the lines of reality, you can be just as creative with blades.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    sniper who can kill you from 500 yards
    or
    guy with a big toothpick who can kill you from 5inches...

hmmm....

guns.

if you'd said LIGHTSABRES...no contest...

[/ QUOTE ]

lightsabres ..... soooo passe so are guns.

nothing beats a daito and wakizashi combo.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

nothing beats a dildo and wasabi combo.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Swords that can deflect projectiles ala Grayfox from MGS grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i voted guns for all the interesting and unique guns produced.. but hawken, i will have to profess loving the chainsword from an early age as well. i got into WH40K stuff much later (my army still needs painting, sigh), but when we were kids we played Talisman all the time. the Space Marine was a cool customer, sure, but the Chainsaw Warrior (with chainsword) was the absolute best.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps its not the weapon of choice thats attractive, but the method in which you engage your enemy...

guns give you the bad-ass sharpshooter effect, swords give you the fast, elegant anhilation ( or not). seeing a person wearing a sword is probly more attractive than a gun or rifle, but seeing someone blasting and diving all action-jackson is cool too.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

nothing beats a daito and wakizashi combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing? Tell me then how someone with a sword is going to hit this as it strafes your bullet ridden corpse.
    a10_7.jpg

OWNED.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guns that are cool looking:
    Uzi
    MP5DS3 (with all the spec ops taclight/laser/sight stuff)
    M4 carbine (with scope)
    AK47
    M60E3
    desert eagle
    those beretta assault rifles from starship troopers
    the SPAS-12 shotgun
    robocop's pistol
    winchester 10 guage lever-action shotgun that the T-800 uses in T-2
    h&k g36
    those automatics the clerics use in equlibrium
    walther P-99

what swords are cool:
    katanas
    sabres

'nuff said.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    robocop's pistol!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You've left out that big ass gun that batou uses near the end of GITS to kill the "tank" thats giving major kusanagi a hard time...

Come on though, saying "sabres" and "katanas" is like saying "pistols" and "automatics"
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AK47 looks cool? take another look smile.gif
    yes the g36k looks cool ...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

nothing beats a dildo and wasabi combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

SlayerJ :errr the comparison is between guns and swords not outdated anti tank aircraft and swords.

I think swords are better as guns are so over done and cliched and belong in the same pile as armour with big shoulder pads
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    robocop's pistol

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Beretta M93R with some movie junk bolted to the front end. That kind of gimmick is done all the time for uber movie guns; Blade's weapon in the first movie got the same treatment, an M10 or M11 submachine gun with goofy front end bits.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Swords any day. I don't care about reality wink.gif

What I dislike most about guns is that there's no real movement/complexity involved. Sure you have to be accurate, and that's a skill, but especially in games, it's an invisible one. "Badassing" with guns is much more situational than with swords in my view.

Not that my vote for swords is for an exclusion of guns or anything. You just need a balance. Like DMC wink.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    AK47 looks cool? take another look smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not think it looks cool, but you have to admit that it is basically the quintessential assault rifle. When someone thinks "assault rifle," an AK47 is likely to be the first thing that pops into their mind.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vig, are you being deliberately obtuse or something?

Swords take years merely to be competant with. A decent shooter can be trained in weeks, as the army has been proving for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am reminded of "Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark". When Indy is trying to catch up to some sword wielding kidnappers. He turns down an ally way and is met by a big man with some pretty impressive sword twirling skills. Indy pulls out his pistol and shoots the guy dead.

What did his pretty sword twirling skills get him? Shot dead I guess because he wasn't going to recover from a bullet to the chest. Take skill out of it, the gun was a more effective weapon. Yeah but that sword guy he twirled that sword like you wouldn't believe. I think that sums up how I feel about swords VS guns on the coolness factor.

When you talk about a little kid being able to pick up a gun and all of a sudden be a deadly assassin capable of picking off pennies as you toss them into the air. I am reminded of that scene in Pulp Fiction where there is a guy hiding in the bathroom while Vincent and Jules talk to try to shake some guy down. All of a sudden the guy bursts out of the bathroom and empties his clip all around Jules and Vincent. He didn’t hit a single thing from point blank range.

To me Guns are way more interesting because they are more involved. Which makes them cooler in my eyes. Since this thread is about "which you find cooler" my opinion is to go with the thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder how it all came to be. With the sword, I think wow some guy took some metal and pounded it flat! WOO HOO! GO BURLEY BLACKSMITH GUY! BANG THAT HAMMER! MAKE THAT METAL SHARP.

Just to clear things up when I think of swords I don't think of the ornamental swords that are displayed in cases and never used. I think of your standard every day run of the mill hack and slash sword. Much like what the sword the Uruk-Hai Scimitar had in LOTR. I know the first thing sword buffs think of is some ornamental sword that can cut thru solid concrete and also makes a nice bit of eye candy above the mantel.

Since this thread is asking about what you find cool, how about you stop trying to convert me to being a sword guy and just read what everyone has to say. Why do you always have to pick a fight with someone? Sometimes I just get tired of your troll like posts...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vig, are you being deliberately obtuse or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am reminded of "Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark". When Indy is trying to catch up to some sword wielding kidnappers. He turns down an ally way and is met by a big man with some pretty impressive sword twirling skills. Indy pulls out his pistol and shoots the guy dead.

What did his pretty sword twirling skills get him? Shot dead I guess because he wasn't going to recover from a bullet to the chest. Take skill out of it, the gun was a more effective weapon. Yeah but that sword guy he twirled that sword like you wouldn't believe. I think that sums up how I feel about swords VS guns on the coolness factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this proves what? Everyone knows guns are more effective weapons for killing than swords. I never claimed otherwise. Killing efficiency has nothing to do with what's cool.

[ QUOTE ]
    When you talk about a little kid being able to pick up a gun and all of a sudden be a deadly assassin capable of picking off pennies as you toss them into the air. I am reminded of that scene in Pulp Fiction where there is a guy hiding in the bathroom while Vincent and Jules talk to try to shake some guy down. All of a sudden the guy bursts out of the bathroom and empties his clip all around Jules and Vincent. He didn’t hit a single thing from point blank range.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Deadly assassin", eh? I didn't say anything of the sort, of course, but wild exaggerations are just so much fun. And a second movie reference as well - hurray for fictional examples.

[ QUOTE ]
    To me Guns are way more interesting because they are more involved. Which makes them cooler in my eyes. Since this thread is about "which you find cooler" my opinion is to go with the thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder how it all came to be. With the sword, I think wow some guy took some metal and pounded it flat! WOO HOO! GO BURLEY BLACKSMITH GUY! BANG THAT HAMMER! MAKE THAT METAL SHARP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can tell that's what you think, as you said so in your first post. That doesn't make it right, which was the point of my reply to your first post. Whether you get hot in the pants at the thought of some guy laboring over an anvil or not really doesn't compel me one way or the other. You said a 'monkey' can make a sword, and I explained how that's not necessarily any more true of blades than firearms.

[ QUOTE ]
    Since this thread is asking about what you find cool, how about you stop trying to convert me to being a sword guy and just read what everyone has to say. Why do you always have to pick a fight with someone? Sometimes I just get tired of your troll like posts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Nice bait, but I'm not biting. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you bit, you bit so hard the hook is set and your flopping around the boat. Look at that moster post full of nothing but 2nd grade hate and fist wagging at your suposed enemy of the min, me. Too bad it wasn't bait but my honest opinion of your sad exsistance on this board. You choose to debate peoples opinions and tell them they are wrong for having them. Something you can't do effectivly because they are how someone feels abou somthing. WOW how retarded are you. Here we have a thread asking peoples opinion and you spend all your effort telling people they are wrong for thinking something is cool? Why not toss your two cents in about what you think is cooler and leave it at that? But true to form you have to single someone out and try to crap on thier post.

How retarted am I for even talking to the angry little man in the corner? I must like being spit on and punched in the nuts?

I do think you post too much to just get a raise out of poeple so you can argue and feel like you acomplished something. Which is not what this thread is about, but whatever gets your wood going. In the end you have to remember that old net saying "arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded". Well there you are standing all gimpy on the 1st place ramp. You get a shinny gold drool pan, YEAH YOU!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Shit, let's all watch Equilibrium and agree that both are equally cool!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bah, halberds are the coolest by far
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    There is no difference if a gun is hand-held, stationary or mounted to a plane. In the end the result is the same.

comparing swords to guns is jsut silly.

But if i had to choose one that can open a can of whoopass...
    aliens-marine2.jpg

SmartGun baybee.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Like Elysium said, french gunblades (cutlass or dagger)...

dx1171.jpg

The dagger variety...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Boobs imo look the coolest,beats guns and blades put together,and if i had to choose one to die from,id say boobs again.