Home Technical Talk

Level designers having sayso over Art

tubboy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tubboy polycounter lvl 18
Unless the art dictates how level design is worked out specifically, Level designers have no say so over the look of the level. Thats how it is where I work. Would it be right to put by foot down and tell the designer to worry about design reather than art or should I continue to let this person tell me what to put where even though it reaches outside ther designated job funtion? I need advise please.

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well since you are a complete idiot, he's probably right.

but barring that, just ask your supervisor, and do what he tells you.
    oh "http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=obliterate"
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Art and gameplay are a fine balance, on our current project we have "artists" and artists who know how to build fun gameplay. So right now I am modeling gameplay only, then I hand it off to some other dude to make it look nice and he can go through the pases with the art director, and hopefully not put a bunch of trees right in the main path or kill the frame rate.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't want to over step my bounds or anything. Sometimes i can get carried away with ideas that sometimes carry over to game play related issues so I am certainly guilt at times. MOJO, thats probably the only thing I can do is just follow my Art Directors wisdom.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You are making art for a game. You are not working on a game to display your art. There is a huge difference. You are working in a team.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get that Jeeeeze.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    The teamwork thing always works best when the team members can compromise and agree on solutions that are the best solutions for the project at hand. Holding onto the letter of your job description, and not giving right-of-way to someone who might have better ideas than you, is not being a 'team player'.

Confident, mature people can agree that one idea or another is better, whether its theirs or not, and not get their feelings hurt. Not that everyone gets the luxury of working with mature people, mind you. (and that's not a snap on you, Tubboy)

/jzero
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that, however, this is not a team player issue. But never mind. The issue at work has been resolved.
    Thanks guys.