Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling a Human Head - 25min Timelapse

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Hi! Another Zbrush modeling recording i made. 45 minutes from a simple blobby mesh created in Silo.
- It's RAR compressed for faster download

- I had to remove "show tool" option, which makes the movie go faster, i only used draw tool in standard and inflate mode, and move tool smile.gif

(Quicktime, 25min., 6.5MB)

head_modeling.rar

20050210_head_modeling.jpg

CnC Welcome!

Replies

• bmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmer polycounter lvl 18
    realy cool dude smile.gif keep up the good work!

-bmer
  • Synista
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synista polycounter lvl 18
    Download doesn't work.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Synista:
    - Hmm. It should work - it is RAR archive, you should save/download it first and then uncompress the downloaded file and play it in Quicktime player.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for the vid SS, really appreciated smile.gif You seem to be the one to learn from, these days smile.gif

You seem to have a neat, simple yet cool looking SSS shader here... I need to look into that stuff oone day.

Laterz!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive stuff, SS.

I've gotta get hold of Z-Brush at some stage. Is there a demo of version 2 available?
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Pior:

- yep, it is the standard MentalRay fast skin shader in 3dsmax - never used it before, but it is very straight forward to use - just wanted to test it on this model smile.gif

Jackablade:
    - Nope, only 1.55b
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very informative and inspirational S-S. It really is so much more intuitive than pushing points around. I have it in my head still that Zbrush isn't a serious modeler for low to mid level detail. It's use is only for the last stage in detailing ( I guess because of the lack of control over outputted topology?? ). But then I see this vid and wonder why the hell I would still think that. Thanks for taking the time. One question. So you have this nice high res head mesh now. How do you get back to your app of choice and rig/skin this thing? Surely it's too high res to skin weight? Or are you weighting your base model and instead of outputting geo from Zbrush, outputting displacement map and applying at render time?
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Daz:

- Yep... actually the problem with zbrush is the fact, that you cannot change the topology (i'm not talking about splitting loops and simple extrusions, but remodeling topology...)

- Zbrush can be used as mid level detailing tool too. Only problem for me is the fact that it is quite hard to do major rotational changes like re-posing fingers and arms... there are some workarounds though smile.gif

"-Surely it's too high res to skin weight?"

- Yes and no.. No-one says it is must to subdivide to Xth level smile.gif - you can shape mid-resolution meshes too. But you must be aware of the fact that zbrush doesn't use real subdivision surface routine = cage changes shape... this might not be a problem though smile.gif

- This mesh is too hires.. i just modeled it for fun. If it was for animation, then the topology would be a problem.

- But this is something which is a bit of a problem currently for any hires/animatble mesh.
    - I can rebuild the the topology, the match the new topology to surface of hires mesh, and then extract the height data from zbrush mesh, into displacement map to be used in new cage...if i need it to be animatable

"Or are you weighting your base model and instead of outputting geo from Zbrush, outputting displacement map and applying at render time?"

- Yes, i have done that too. Wrap deformers are also useful - tested wrap with that walking man...works fine, but this requires good topology...

BTW, next version of z2 (free update) will have topology rebuilding tools, which will be probably good addition!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    very informative. i haven't gone further than initial explorations into Z-Brush; thanks for sharing a bit of your expertise on the matter smile.gif