Home General Discussion

EA starts Game dev program

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you code in a bot that automatically posts everything from Slashdot Games in General Discussion?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you untwist your panties princess ...

good article kub
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that's a good idea...the bot thing. hehe

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I dont read slashdot games. I get enough flak here without going to "super geekdom flak".
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    All part of the drive to recruit college leavers.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "Now here's the first lesson: You absolutely MUST work any hours your superior asks you to do! If you don't you will miss the deadline and lose your job! Of course, we're paying you for meeting those deadlines, not for your time."
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Per Daz:
    [ QUOTE ]
    All part of the drive to recruit college leavers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I take that class, and lick some EA butt, I'll get a job and I won't have to graduate?

All I gotta do is brown nose and show a decent portfolio?

[Edit]And learn how to make sentences and spell correctly?[/Edit]
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Noserider, Thats how its always been. You dont need any degree to make art. All you need is a good portfolio and a serious ass kissing skills.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What TGZ said. Nose, If your question is how to land a job at EA or anywhwere else, I'll rephrase your last question for you:

"All I gotta do is show a kickass portfolio"

I've never understand why people think that brown nosing is necessary.
    Btw, a degree is handy If you have any notion of leaving your country of origin and working abroad, since without it you probably wont be able to.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen some of the portfolio's that land people work.....decent seems to apply.

Meats Meier and Bay Rait is outstanding or kick ass or whatever.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmm true, actually. I don't know what I was thinking. It's not remotely hard to get into EA at all.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hhhmm true, actually. I don't know what I was thinking. It's not remotely hard to get into EA at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Ubi, from what I've seen. laugh.gif

edit - Did I just blacklist myself?
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Brown nosing is an art form itself. My Father told me the best way to succeed in any job is to know when to wipe your boss' ass and when not too. You don't want to pucker up and kiss 24/7 or that's what they will think your only talent is.

Basically if your boss asks you to do something, they're not asking. They want you to volunteer your support. Remember this if you don't have any ‘real world’ work experience. The only time you can tell others what to do or say no to something you don't like is when everyone is spending your money. grin.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know brown nosing shouldn't be the hallmark of getting a 3D job, but I still keep hearing that networking is very important in getting 'art' work.

The "get to know me" syndrome kinda of thing. I don't think it can be dismissed entirely.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I have the job I have now because of who I know, no question. And I'm not even doing art (yet). Networking and getting to know people is vital. if people like you they are more likely to call you even if your portfolio isn't as good as that other guy that was kind of weird.

Frank the Avenger
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Brown nosing and networking are two completely different things. Networking is extremely important, I've gotten my last three jobs because of who I know. Many times, who you know will get the interview, and what you can do will get you the job.

Don't confuse sucking up with gathering a list of contacts in the industry.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    yah.. they announced this at gdc last year... a friend and myself (covert ops from Cogswell Polytechnical College, a college EA should of supported cause we're not that far down the goddamned road) went in to check the lil 'side party' with a bunch of the staff and people involved in this.. pretty clueless bunch.

----

oh, and it's good to see that ea is creating the next digipen... mad.gif
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    well at least it makes the industry a bit more viable now that so many of these courses are being offered, not that it wasn't before, it's just that the industry is just now becoming more mainstream and socially acceptable...meh my -.02 cents, you should feel dumber now for having read that...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Foe.. somehow, i see EA preaching how they see the industry should be run to the 'next generation of developers', which is a concept that scares me (and probably others too). I somehow forsee a rift in the industry as people taught to be businessmen first and creative teammembers second start to enter in bigger waves than before... (/end paranoia rant)
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah you know what you are totally right, like programming robots, i was going to say they were just training people fill the slots for their next group of lay-offs but i shouldnt say things like that since im on the outside looking in and would still love to work for EA or any game company that would be willing to give me a shot....
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    would still love to work for EA or any game company that would be willing to give me a shot....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the kind of attitude larger companies take advantage of. Because you're so willing to work with them, they'll find every which way to make sure they pay YOU as little as possible.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    does "you get what you pay for" apply here?