Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Kid (Psycological horror game)

fuxer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fuxer polycounter lvl 18
Greetings every one.I am new to this forum so bear with me smile.gif
I am the leader of a small group and we are working on this game.Its smth between resident evil and Silent Hill.(Mostly the last one).My team is formed out of 5 persons.
Anyway i would like to get some feedback on the overall apparence of the game.Thanks.
shot06rt.jpg
shot10cc.jpg
shot23ef.jpg
shot38bw.jpg
shot44pa.jpg
shot73lh.jpg
shot90to.jpg
shot108lk.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    welcome to the boards fuxer grin.gif

I get the feeling I'd get kinda tired of the noise overlay if its on 100% of the time. Looks good though, especially for just 5 people. Is it for a contest or anything like that?
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    very nice. I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill, so it's nice to see something like this. I'd have to agree with rooster though.. the noise is a bit much.

keep em coming!
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    Actually the noise is dynamic,it increases when monsters are nearby (sh4 feature smile.gif )
    This game will get published.Its not for a contest or things like that.
    Very soon,in about 3 or 4 weeks we will release the demo wich will include cutscenes too.I will post the link here when ready.Thanks for your comments smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool, look forward to giving it a spin!
    who will be the publisher? (if your allowed to talk about stuff like that)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looks good so far... frankly maybe a little too much like Silent Hill. you should probably work towards giving the game some unique features to set it apart from the game series you're drawin from. but best of luck wit the development and finding a publisher.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The lighting in the outdoor shots is too 'hot'. Note how blown out the ground texture is. The main character could use a little something. Not sure, hard to tell from this distance. Looks good though. Props for going alone and good luck.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I was thinkin the same thing. The survival horror genre is hard to break, but you should seriously consider trying to pull away from the Silent Hill flavor. At least in presentation.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    What platform is this for?

Looking cool, but give that guy a scarf, he needs some type of distinguishing characteristic, and a Dr Who scarf would be tits!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    as i kind of neglected to in my first post, i would really like to congratulate you and your small team for pushing this far and getting what looks like a nicely playable portion of the game done. i'm personally looking forward to playing the demo when you've got it ready.
    anyhow, poop is right. not only do i think that the game as a whole needs some more unique visual touches but particularly the main character needs a distinguishing mark. it's cool that he's kind of an average guy type character, that makes for a good avatar for the player, but he does need to be made more interesting visually.
    he's the main character so i'm sure you've given him a story. what you need to do then is take that story, that identity that you've given the character, and visually represent that in how he appears in the game. if you'd like any help further conceptualizing the main character or any others don't be afraid to ask smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    it looks a bit boring to be frank. it really does look too much like silent hill.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well in my opinion ANY smaller game that gets published is great. Its true that their game is highly reminiscent of silent hill, and I would agree that gameplay differences would strengthen the product. BUT, I think a smaller independant game getting published deserves all the support we can give, whether it is based on existing success or not.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    I am taking this "too much like silent hill" as a success really.Unfortunately i am still thinking on the story as its not complete yet.Any help would be really apprisciated.Well if anyone is willing to contribute with concept art for monsters and stuff,you are welcome too.
    I will post here some monsters i did and concept.
    Actually we had somehow a contract in our hands with a big pubblishing house...we will see.They need a demo do judge.
    Thanks for your comments so far,i really apprisciate it.

I forgot.About city being too bright,its because we set it selflit,as some bump shaders are in the works.The same is for player,he has a normal map skin but we still have to fniish writing the shader.For now,it is not affected by more than 2 dynamic lights wink.gif
    here are the enemies.
    qen.jpg
    monsterfg3.jpg
    moster41lr.jpg
    moster52se.jpg
    image239ry.jpg
    image244yf.jpg
    image257ag.jpg
    there are still some more.but i dont have the pics right now.
    Player characters
    textured.jpg
    SP32-20041023-171221.gif
    SHOT5.gif

If you would like,check my online portfolio for more smile.gif
    online portfolio
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Just don't rip off the awful camera from Silent Hill. I like the games but man that camera...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the backlit curtains in that bedroom!

That third baddie from top - the one with the (slight) antlion look is freaking me out. I can just see this thing lolloping along on it's three appendages \\shiver//. Good luck with this, too few small teams make it.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just don't rip off the awful camera from Silent Hill. I like the games but man that camera...

[/ QUOTE ]
    hehe,we have a better camera system set up wink.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the heavy noise on all your characters seems a bit much, especially when you add in the in-game noise overlay you've got implemented. i would like to see (slightly) cleaner textures.

project is looking good. like the demon-dog creature.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Definally derived completely from Silent Hill. Be careful you're really making a "psychological horror game" and not "bashing freaky monster with a pipe" game.
    Environments are very cookie cutter perfect minus the dirty textures and that one rotated picture. Try grapping a lot of the vertex's and shake them up a bit to give the world a warped/distored natural look. Seems weird that everything would be totally ruined, still every edge is perfectly cut.
    Character are very generic. Good characters have always recognizable profiles. What you've presented is the most base mesh looking characters you could have. Texturesare very blurry with a bunch of noise tossed over them to hide the blurriness. Otherwise, looks like a spiffy first gen PS2 game.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    way too much noise - which is obviously a photoshop filter. If its going to be drawn over the game then have it animated and vary the size/amount of noise so that it feels softer and adds to the game rather than distract as it currently does.
    Light mapped levels? seem basic but ok. The torch effect needs improving, and perhaps the inclusion of realtime lighting rather than just ambient on the character? (or at least it seems like that).
    I think the characters all need some improvements. The trouble is when you are directly inspired by a game and draw allot of reference from it you'll then find that your work is directly compared to that source of inspiration. Silenthill this is not.. but I think for a team of 5 guys, starting out? then this is a decent effort so far. Take a step back - compare your work to Silent hill again and then decide on how you can make your stuff look at least as good as theirs.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    first of,the noise is not a photoshop filter,but a shader.Actually it's dynamic.It increases when danger is near.Yes the settigs are set a bit hight but we will fix them.The problem with the characters is real.I didnt have concept art or anything to make them so i just threw em.Anyway i am trying to finish the story and then add more character to the models.It will all depend on story.
    Levels.These are the first places the player will see.He wont have a flashlight with him by the time he wanders in these roms so thats why i wanted them to have baked lighting.Our engine can handle stencil shadows and vertex lighting so all the other places wont have baked lights.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I've seen more character, I would definately say you need to make an effort to distingush this from Silent Hill. I see Maria, James, Groaners, Straitjackets... The second 2 monster Sketches are nice, the hanging dude is pretty freeky, nice job!
    I hope to be working with a friend on a Horror game in the future and making it different than SH is very hard, but I would say it would really help you.