Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio help...

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Hey Guys,

I just put up my new portfolio site and would really love it if you would take a gander. www.dabudesign.com

I'm wondering at this point if I should start applying for a job on the west coast, or wait till I have generated some more work (environments specifically). I'm hoping to be ready by GDC (early March I believe).

I didn't include any environment art because all my env pieces are way old and don't match up to the quality of my new stuff. Kinda a bummer since I see myself taking the environment / prop route.

It should load reasonably fast. Hows the presentation? Especially with the high res images? I designed it for 800 x 600, so I included a .zip of big images.

Oh well enough rambling.

cheers yall

dabu

PS - thanks for all the helpful tips, Malcolm wink.gif

Replies

• usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    that site is sweet. and it loaded really fast, i was surprised. cool design, really clean
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    VERY nice design sense there Dabu. Are you sure 3D is really what you wanna pursue? smile.gif Seriously, nice site. You're clearly very good with design. Easy to navigate and you've obviously put a lot of work into it. All the work there is to a high degree of quality. The only thing Im not a fan of is the heavily photosourced vehicle stuff. I dont mind photosourcing, but it's a little strange to leave such a 'stuck on' completely static reflection on the windows like that. I think that a more generic and less defined reflection would have worked better. They dont really prove that you can create textures from scratch either. But I guess the Spinray and other work on your site does. Good stuff. Job worthy I think.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Darren especially. I am a graphic designer tryin to make the transition into games. Think this would get me a job doing UI? I've only been using Maya for about 3 years now, and only lately (past 6 months) have I been striving to get better with it.

I agree the fleet of vehicles is the weakest piece. I probably should just omit it altogether. The reason they are so "slapped together" is that I was under the gun to get them done as fast as humanly possible. This was a year ago, and I could get about 2 from scratch done per day. They looked ok in game, you didn't really notice the obvious stock windows.

I'm flattered you think this is job worthy. My only concern is that I should wait a bit longer before applying so that I can have an environment or two to show as well.

Thanks for checking out my work.;)
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Dabu, you put a tight site together. If you can get some environment stuff done by GDC Mar 7-11 then get your presenting stuff together before then you should be good to go.

Good luck. Because I think we all need some. smile.gif
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Lore! More to come next week then....

+)