Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minotaur Art Test

melkior
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
melkior polycounter lvl 18
Greeting friends,

So heres an art test I recently submitted. I wanted to post it here on Polycount to get feedback from all the great people as to what you think of it - how I could improve, and if you think anything is particuarly nice that'd be nice to know too smile.gif

My limit was 1600 including the weapon - I came in at 1597.

Lots of big images so I'll link most of them and have this one inline preview so you can see if its worth your time to click on the rest. Most of the images except the flats are 1024x1024.

And - if it matters I've already received a response of "no thank you" basically. So this was an unsucessful test which is an additional reason I'm looking for community feedback.

Thanks in advance!

melkior

render1.jpg

And here are the individual files

Textured
Faceted Render
Wire Render
Smooth Render

Texture Flats:
Body Texture
Weapon Texture

And some poses:
Pose 1 Render
Pose 2 Render

edit: changed preview image to be the 4 view texured shot

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    What was the target medium that this model would be appearing in? Did they give you a particular format that the beast would be viewed in (FPS, RTS, etc).

If it was for a FPS, the geometry in and around the elbows and knees would have needed some reworking so that it would have deformed nicely. It looks fine posed like you have it, but none of those poses oare putting the joints to the test, so to speak.

On the other hand, if it were for an RTS, maybe there is too much detail in the joints, and not enough on building up the large masses to define the character from it's typical point of view. The texture looks fine for an FPS style viewpoint, but from a ways away is pretty flat and lacks substance from a distance.

Judging from it being a Minotaur, was this art test for Ensemble?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for Mythic Entertainment, a character used as a monster NPC in an MMORGP Game - engine style is FPS but its not a shooter at all smile.gif

melkior
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    And did they give you any feedback on it at all? I'll bet they didn't.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Lol. I guess they sent you an art test for the DAoC team. I thought all the ones they were sending out were for Imperator. :S
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not sure what to say, but something about the flesh of the animal that says it needs more work. Try and push it further. The model is a tad blocky in some places, the legs (might be the pose angle) and the shoulder pad and garments sort of bug me. The big things that bugs me about the chest in the texture is that you could have tried to push that to be more realistic. I mention this cause I'm being nit picky here and I'm sort of thinking of the reasons they might say no to you. I think you did a good job though. I thought some of the models on your site might have been the reason they said no though and not so much the art test. The models I think you need to improve are the 3 military characters, for some reason the mesh itself seems a bit off on those. I suggest you add nipples, chest hair and veins to your beast. Make him look terrifing. If you managed to get an interview it means you passed the art test... You got some skills though so keep going. They might have said no because you did not show enough work they want to see. Later.

Alex
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
    haha! cool to see how someone else did it, heres how mine came out- hope u dont mind thought i whould share:
    render.jpg
    ****i can take down if u like.***** Did u hear back from them btw?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan,

No please leave it up - its great to see what other artists are doing for the test smile.gif Looks great!

Yes I did talk back and forth quite a bit but eventually the answer was "not at this time" so didn't get in.