Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yo... booo!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
b1ll polycounter lvl 18
been a while.. Been Lazy.. I was going to post this in the "what are u working on thread " but bah, seem it would take too much space there, ...
all unfinished stuff bla blabla..
I want to make her suit in a post apocalyptic. feel. I have a few ideas, I just dont want to turn this into a unreal model..

flyal_wip.jpg
fly_wip.jpg

su_wip.jpg
fh_wip.jpg
omg Ya, I want to do a fucking harry Potter model, I have a few ideas, should be lame.

hp_wip.jpg
Lame skin i did for the headskin thread, but AHh, didnt follow the uws at all.. erm.. Ya, max wasnt open, yeah.. THATS IS..
oups_h.jpg

Ill try and upate this often, its not very insane stuff so Ill post more smile.gif

Replies

• Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    That face texture is uber pimp
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd go with damaged uniforms for the post-apocalyptic girl, like police shirt, fireman jacket, postman pants, engineer belt, etc, hell, you've already given her pilot goggles
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    *squeels like a girl!*
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    *GIMME YOUR SKILLZ*

I like the sexy face. good meshflow too. Now finish one of these you lazy kanadian. Stop pimping half finished work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    you heard him, get things done!

love ur style man, good stuff
    check your private messages
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    I still think the way you model is irrational, but you're so much better than me I can't really chastize you for it.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    yay! harry potter!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    why are so many quads missing?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX: "Strip modeling". A process where you build up the forms of a mesh by extruding edges to form strips. Makes it easier to plan the topology of a mesh right from the start. That's what I think it is, anyway smile.gif

edit: Oh yeah, and-- great work bill, I like 'em all smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome bill. Cant wait to see some of this finished
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome stuff..

hmm, I will steal this strip modelling technology and use it for... pure evil! a-ha-ha-ha
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    that face texture is pimp...
    TO BAD YOURE AN IDIOT bahahahah

but seriously, how long did it take you to do each of those things, the models are awesome.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff... but what I don't get is that you redo every face from scratch, instead of heavily tweaking a "once build, but proven to work" face topology (afterall there are just minor differences in human faces).

P.S.: the legs of the girl in the first picture look a bit too big compared to the upper body and head, but that might be the perspective.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with everyone...what an odd working style. But seeing as that it produces such kickass results, I'll shut my trap.

Truly inspiring work, with good flow. I think I'll have to try this 'strip modeling' technique of yours once...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i find strip modeling to be the best way of modeling organic shapes , been using it for about 5 years ...
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll is the wave of the future, hehe. Down with old fashioned box modelling!...

btw b1ll, teach me that technique. I'm bored with box modelling. tongue.gif

And dammit, give us a ppm to play with! You always pimp these models but never do anything with them. It's a crying shame, man!

You should update your old Santa grenade replacement for Half-Life, hehe. That model ruled! lol
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    great work btw, but what's with those polies sticking out of that last girl's brow? Those supposed to be there?
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I have to throw in that b1ll validates my modeling instincts! When I start with a box, I can never figure out how to get it from the shape it is to the shape I want. I always end up drawing a line shape around the reference head. I've done some proto-strip modeling in the past, but the next project I do is going to be a total strip-job.

It looks weird, but not if you are able to see in between the quads, and get an idea of the form that is taking shape.

When I draw, I always stick with lines. This is like drawing, with quads. Right?

/jzero
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Yo
    Jzero: Yeah dude, I love strip modeling, because its like sketching ur model. very different
    Hollowmind : AHAH, yus future!! Yeah I need to finish a model and put it into a game, I know, ! I WIlL!!
    Thermidor : yup THE BEST I SAY! smile.gif
    MacD : Lol Thanks dude, it work well, But ya know, each is own technique anyway, Whatever work best for u, But its nice and fun to try new one anyway smile.gif
    JKMakowka : Sure , but thoses are fun stuff, I feel its good practice to re-create it, find better way and faster way, better topo and stuff, And I hate working with to many vertex shit, Thats why I used the strip modeling technique anyway.

steady : AHAHAHAHAH I BLAME THE UVWRAP!! I dont know, its pretty fast, Depend if I stick to max, or end up doing other stuff at the same time Aahah
    rooster : ahah Do it!! DO it!!
    EarthQuake : Thanks dude, Yeah I have to finish, atleast 1 smile.gif
    Asthane : Yup, Thanks smile.gif
    Asherr : AHAAHA I feel lame for posting it, but HEY
    SjetvsKerrigan `: Lol its the CRAZY way smile.gif Like I said a few times, its like sketching, and U dont have to mess with many vertex when u rough the proportions and shapes.
    shotgun : AH!, finishing stuff is so 2004:)
    poopinmymouth : Kanada! Gimme ur contacts , then Ill share skillz! AHAHA smile.gif
    killingpeople : !!!!!!! I forgot ur model hey, SOON,
    Marine : Yup, good, I want something different then thoses unreal model and all, So yeah, good ideas.!!
    Bradfordart :Thanks Dude smile.gif

Yo, I probably have all my layers in some files, I could post a step by step, for that texture, if anyone want, I already did a few tho..

I could do the same with thoses models, I have the lame increment on save in max, and I save every 2 secs anyway, I could post some step..

Anyway, Thanks, Good to post again, Ill update sometimes!!

b1ll
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I really like these pieces man, great work all aorund, i can hardly wait to seem them finished. On a side note, was the first chicks jacket inspired by fullmetal alchemist? because it looks really similar :P.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG Yes!!! Best anime evar!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    yeah b1ll strippage all the way!!!

gotta say i love em....

Would i be right in thinking the famous Joan of arc tutorial used this mdoelling method for the head?...ill try and find the link so you guys can give it a shot smile.gif

john

Edit:- there we go,google translator be praised!!...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...3D%26ie%3DUTF-8
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Not quiete

The way I use edge extrude, is to sketch my form,

In the joan of arc tut, he trace the major part, then make big long extrude then cut them.It end up like box modeling, too much polys, next to each other when building the form, I dont like that.

Me I dont do long mad extrude, I sketch my form in 3d, with the edges.So I dont have multiple row next to each until, until Im done with the form.
    And I dont use background image..

Select edge, shift drag. In perspectivem and Screen mode!!

Voila!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing as usual b1ll! Im blown away by how you model like that. It's pretty amazing. There is one huge advantage to modeling this way, and it's hard to explain, but that's that this way, you only have to model it once. The box way, you kind of model it several times over, cos you constantly have to re-arrange topology.

I would love to see a video of you working b1ll. I find this technique fascinating. I just dont think I can get my head around visualizing it even though I can totally see that it is actually the most efficient way.

Cant wait to see some of these done!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i use strip modelling also, whenever i get around to modelling anything that is, although b1ll far surpasses me.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    With so many people wanting to know how to do this "strip" modeling better (including myself). I think you should maybe do a tut on it(video preferably, get into the vtm craze!)! >:)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Not trying to rain on B1lls parade, but there is one disadvantage to strip modeling. Unless you are a uber genius, how do you control your polycount? You guess how many times you can extrude that edge and end up at an arbitrary number, then go back and either optimize or uprez depending on if your guess was too low or too high? The biggest benefit of starting with volumes and chiseling away, is that as long as you are treating all areas equaly at once, you just keep refining till you hit your target polycount.

Maybe you have a way around this? How does it work if you have a specific low polycount to hit (like 2000 triangles).

I can see how it would be a nice efficient way doing high poly however.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Man this is really an amazing job! Your Topo looks very good, but as poop said, I wonder how could you get a lower polycount for models under 3000 polys? Also I don't really like this tecnic because the wires seems a little bit messy. But your works are slowly converting me into strip modeling, in fact I'm trying on a couple of models I'm currently working on.
    Hope you'll make a tut or a walkthorough of your modeling way.
    See ya and keep us updated!
  • Equinoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equinoxx polycounter lvl 18
    Looking ace man. great to see more people are using stripmodeling. Always thought i was amongst a few idiots while others boxmodeled [which I never did learn properly]

to Poop,

after a while you have a real good feel of flows that you won't overshoot your target, you KNOW how many edges you can use in areas so that you will end up near your target, I don't think that's it much different from box modeling in that regard, you know where to divede the edges and add more detail.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    I decided to give this a try, and I have to say it's an interesting method. This is the fastest I've ever modeled a face.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I like your flow allot, but I cant help thinking that it would be a much slower process to build like that. Perhaps a small video of the method you use bill would convert a few people? wink.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my modelling technique was strongly influenced after seeing b1ll'$ model wips for the first time, for which i am very thankful. ooo.gif
    it not only was an attractive way to model, at times i can think quicker while modeling this way by thinking in planes and profiles, rather than carving from a block. it also enabled me to react on my impulses faster.
    i've adapted the technique and use it when it makes sense to me, i don't let it get in the way. if i were going for a certain polycount, i would undershoot by using larger spaced strips and add and remove detail accordingly. i never model with a polycount in mind so i honestly wouldn't know - i just just shoot for a logical density.

i've shown others b1ll's work and got mixed opinions. one of my instructors shows the technique in his class just so others see know of different approaches. because he has never used it, he asked that i created these for an instructor to show to his class along with b1ll's more intersting incomplete wip models:
    EXAMPLE 1
    EXAMPLE 2
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I picked up the strip modeling technique from one of the Discreet demo artists at a demo at Siggraph. Ive been using it ever since I walked away from that demo.

When i was in school all my instructors preached the box modeling method like there was no other way to do it, and for some reason I could never get the hang of box modeling, it always felt wrong to me.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work b1ll, whatever works right. The harry potter looks great actually, I also like the face texture start. sweet.

I use strip for faces just because it is so much easier to me to lay out all the detail than to start out with a block and then cut it in.. I dunno it just clicks with me.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Daz : Yes, Its hard to explain, but once u get it, its a mad nice technique smile.gif Yes, Im thinking about doing a video for a next model, Or atleast part of a model, yeah, I'll look into it!!

Asherr : ahah, Ya strip model is nice hey smile.gif

IceWolve : ahahah, Yeah I have to do a video now hey smile.gif

poopinmymouth : ahah omfg!! Nah, Try it dude, Once u get around to understanding it, You know how to get around to rough out ur model to fit the poly limit. You just visualise it. if you have a low poly count to respect, its like sketching with less line ya know. smile.gif

Ramucho : Yes give it a try man, Youll see, smile.gif
    Equinoxx : THanks!!
    TechSmith : Aahha cool!, more strip modelers!! yaaa1!

spacemonkey : ahah, Nah, its pretty fast ya know,for me anyway.
    Because like I said, You dont have to handle many polygons and vertex while u rough out the shape and the proportions, U juste extrude a section, Graaa, Ill, Put up a few pictures to explain today!!

killingpeople : AHAHAH ur mad!, Your the teacher's pet I bet AHAHA smile.gif Awsome model dude btw!!!! smile.gif

Pseudo : ahah, yeah box modeling.. bahh smile.gif
    ryan77 : Thanks dude, omg U love harry!!, Ill finish it then ahah

Thanks, ILl post 1-2 picture to explain the strip modeling technique just until I do a video.!

!b1ll
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    wow!!! can wait to see it!!! Hope you'll release this week!!
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Just think of it as sketching edge loops and then extruding more to connect them. The meshes subdivide wonderfully this way.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I agree b1||, I LOVE FMA, you should model a few guys from there, I got the art book if your intrested, I could scan some of it, let me know wink.gif.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work b1ll. I really enjoy your workflow, as it gives you complete control over what goes where. I use the same method for organics myself, as I cannot seem to create a clean mesh out of boxmodeling for the life of me. Maybe I should look at some more tutorials...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So hows this work exacty? Start with a 4 sided plane then shift-drag the edges?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    ive modeled this way for years, way back in 3ds max 3.1 i started like this , so defining organic shapes is easyer ... i start with a profile row of edges , and extrude strips off of that .. and curve round ...
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    please post some pics, sounds great I can't wait to try it!
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I myself just start with 1 polygon in a spot then shift extrude out out a boat load...for some reason whenever I start on the bottom of the nose to the lips it gets me moving a hell of a lot faster than when I start anywhere else (nose, eyes, etc)....kinda weird...

@Poop - even though I'm not the slightest bit as good as b1ll with this technique and judging tri counts, I think I still have a nice understanding of what he means. I myself just study other people's work. I can somewhat depict what a 1000 tri head looks like, so I shoot for that if I'm aiming for it. If not, you can just as easily weld/add verts in there and just take a peak at the tri counter from time to time; you don't need all the detail in there at once. I've even tried using this method and a boxmodeling like method by simply getting the base head shape (my biggest trouble in boxmodeling and making it look clean) with planes then using the cut too to define more.