Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fat Baron

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks really nice Tim, but I think the problem with the head is that you have made him really fat at the front , but between the ear and the cheek bone looks a bit flat. perhaps some fat spilling ou the sides of his jaw would help.
    Not sure if someone that fat would have such defined cheekbones.
    Loooks great overall.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a sweet sweet model Spacemonkey, lovin' it. I'll be following this one wink.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I've been a bit busy, I've done more flying than modelling recently..

Anyway he lives
    baronnotdead9bt.jpg

baronheadtex9va.jpg

I want to lay down a basic diffuse texture before I start working in the bump and spec textures - and adding the 'details'.

I found the normal mapping in Max7 is far from ideal. The projection modifier would not let me select groups of items - which when un group caused big problems. I finally discovered the layers functionality - which would in theory help when hiding geometry (as I found I had to hide certain elements to avoid clipping etc)
    Its a fun learning experience wink.gif
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Fuck ya monkey. Thems be some sexy ass rolls.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    that's fantastic, Monkey! He looks so great that he almost looks sexy, and I mean that in the most hertrosextual way possible... if that is even possible. Let's just pretend that is it.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    That is lard-o-licious. :P

All of those overlapping tubes on his chest turned out pretty nice in the normal map.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a lot of realestate to shave. Looking good.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    a depiction of the dear baron as vivid as it is lurid--it's already a great portfolio piece, i'm going to enjoy seeing the texture take shape, too. keep up the good work!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool - this is starting to take shape now. Definately liking the look of the diffuse texture at the minute and it'll be really interesting to see what you do with the specular etc.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    My Ideas..

Get some Amazing/Scary textures on this guy..
    Put him in doom 3 tongue.gif.
    He would be one scary S.O.B...

If you do follow my lousy directions tongue.gif.. Make him have some scary animations buhwaha.. make him run and jiggle at you instead of walking laugh.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colourtest2vp.jpg

This a colour test - I need to fix allot of stuff on the diffuse and I've started to experiment with a spec map... which is fun and will be getting allot more work done on it!
    The robotic arms are also missing from the render, I havent got round to getting a decent normal map of them-yet
    the polycount is at 3092 although I'll need to add more to allow for reasonable deformation.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Noice! Now make Sting haha!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    haha
    sting thats really the hero isnt it..

nah baron harkonen r0x
    his thumb fixed, the hand is still off but you'll just have to do better next time, no big deal.

the color theme is pretty good, imo.
    i think the gadgets dont belong, the calculator thing and the blue lights are too clean high-tech star-trek, they dont belong with his ragged character. emarld green would fit better, perhaps.

except the lights, then, i dont think anything should be shiny and specular. at least not in the way i idealize his character.

get to it already and finish the damn fat bastard!
    too good too late! :P

EDIT
    yes i agree with gauss. when i said no shiny and specular that kinda also regarded the golden stuff. i just wasnt really sure if its going to be shiny gold or thats just the render.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know; don't go too crazy with the color schemes. there's so much going on detail-wise with the suit itself that once you layer on too much color/material-wise i think they diminish each other rather than build each other up. it might be the lighting in that shot, but looking back a page, i think the dark brown seemed to show the model off better--keeping the face clearly as the main focus, then the great tech-y bits secondary, then finally the fat expanses of his big ol' tummy.

i think the gold and red color scheme does too much to upset that balance. you really can't miss that huge belly so that vertical stripe up the middle seems like it's taking too much attention away from the rest of it; and even though he is a baron the suit seems too nicely taken care of for the character. it's your call of course, and it's still a great model, but personally i think it'd be better served by a much darker, muted palette as suggested by the earlier model shots.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool to see that model progressing

great job on transferring the highpoly detail onto the normalmap, the illusion is almost perfect smile.gif

I totally agree with gauss about the colors though

I liked the colorscheme you had on the highpoly mesh (on page2) a little more though..

can't wait to see more !!! smile.gif
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    He must be very popular with the ladies! Well done, I like it! This color scheme you gave him reminds me of the baron from DUNE.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    a bigger render on light grey background please smile.gif!
    And it would be nice if you could elobafret about about your ceration process. Its always found it totally interesting to read how several artist approaches on this whole normalmap thingie. Nice work, if you could post the flats it would be very nice too.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    He must be very popular with the ladies! Well done, I like it! This color scheme you gave him reminds me of the baron from DUNE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats exactly who it is...

I agree with gauss to some extent. I think a black/dark chocolate brown color scheme suits this guy better. Some smaller gold & red highlights are appropriate though I feel.
    Also, some more exposed fatty diseased flesh would work too.
    A little zbrushed skin disease on the face & belly would work wonders.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this is awesome!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baronup4io.jpg

a bright render - so bright that the normal map loses some punch.. frown.gif
    you can see the specular in effect on the head/shldr area.

Pior thanks:)

shotgun, yes the hand is a bit crap, I need some time to do a nice hand study
    I agree about the gadget.. this model has been lurking on my pc so long that I almost feel like re-doing/scrapping it as I have allot of changed I want to make like that..

Gauss thats a good point about all the colours fighting with the number of details, I'm trying to tone things down a little. The goldwerk has been toned down a bit and I understand what your saying about the stripe.. however I found that because so much of the characters surface area is the giant baby grow, that a single colour overpowers things itself, I'll try toning down the stripe with dirt etc

vahl gauss - I did like the idea of a muted colour scheme but I decided to have some vibrant colours because I always seem to end up with these drab characters. A bit of colour is fun ;D and this guy is all about the learning experience

Makkon, yeah I actually started to read the book! I thought why the hell not..

Shimmer bright render for you - as you can see on the other pages I did all the work in max 7 - sub d's(epoly) and turbosmooth. I used the render to texture function for the normal map also.
    At the moment I'm still struggling to find a comfortable way to texture it but leaning towards how pior was working - in a basic way (diffuse and spec layer sets in the same psd)

ScoobyDoofus - I may do some diseased flesh, but the belly isnt shown its all in the baby grow wink.gif

sledgy thanks

baronup12qo.jpg
    the fat boy needs some polies adding before he is rigged,
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice model. been watching this with interest.

how about some boils, sores, puss, warts, moles, stretch marks, dirt under flab, grimm mole hairs and so on?

would add some grit to him. As gauss says, being glam doesn't suit the man.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    really cool. i miss the old colour scheme though. also i think he needs some geometry for the tubes on his chest to help his silhouette
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    everything is looking pretty good, but Man I think you should add some pipe geometry. Atm the 3/4 shot looks REALLY flat, even with normal map, blabla. The best way (for me) is to create some details geometry in the 3/4 view to help the normal map when you rotate around the model. You could easly save some polys in the face and put them on the suit to match better the general form of your design.

I've to agree with the color thing too.

My 2 cents smile.gif

anyways, keep up the good job !

-Renaud
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just saw the latest version, digging the textures a lot
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had half a day to play;
    barstool3ct.jpg

no time.. just yet
  • Dean Avanti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean Avanti polycounter lvl 18
    wow the high poly stuff of Doom really is a leap ahead the old low poly models of older engines.
    speaking of which i did some Dune stuff way back for ut20034k.

http://www.planetunreal.com/alteredstate/dunesite/index.html
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Spacemonkey - looking AWESOME! Love the texture work. Hope you post flats when you're done smile.gif

Dean - yeah, isn't it amazing? nice job pimping your work in someone elses thread
  • Dean Avanti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean Avanti polycounter lvl 18
    Its not pimping, that stuff is way old, and cannot compete with the new tech, Im not taking any ones fire, I'm not out of line to link it. I did one skin and added the rest as a favor for a guy to make me a web site for my Altered State project, if you check my site you will see that I have a game that I'm trying to get published and taking Altered State to a commercial project, its no big deal to mention some skins I made with a mouse over a couple of days is imaterial to me, I don't think I'm out of line to mention that I have a few items that DUNE FANS might like.

By the way that model is awesome, wow im envious of Doom 3 tech, I cant wait till unreal engine 3 is available
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No need to fight guys. It is relevant Dune stuff, and it is not like it's someone elses Baron which is the only situation I wouldn't apprecaite. wink.gif
  • Mya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mya polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good Spacemonkey! Like some of the others said - a bit more work on the colours, and some more geometry in the pipes, and this'll look great.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Throw some blood on his face, or his suit blush.gif
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    really nice, top job.