Home General Discussion

Seattle: Need Moving Advice

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Im being asked to leave where I am on Beacon Hill. Anyone have any cheap but not totally crime ridden suggestions for places to live that have a direct short bus route to Capital hill (I have a class starting at the SCCC in a few days). Hell, even better if I can bike to it.

Maybe you know someone looking for a roomie? It would be cool once to live with someone in the same interest field to share ideas with. Though Im not the partier.

My only other option is I will have to move to North Dakota... Which I think you can agree isnt a option to get a contact network for future career positions.

EDIT: I just need a hole in the wall studio. Computer, cot, bathroom, internet.

Replies

• Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    How much can you afford a month? That is the main question.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Up to $600 with utilities (minus net)
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try ww.rent.net? or www.apartments.com?
    Also look in the classifieds at www.seattletimes.com

If it comes down to it, Try craigslist/seattle.

Plenty of shitholes on capital hill near SCCC for $550~$600
    I know cuz I lived there for some time...bleh.

Try also looking at places near or on FirstHill too. Thats not too far southwards down Broadway. (by the QFC that has the burgerking on the roof) wink.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Err.. what do you mean by shitholes? I found one on capital hill in that price range?
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    I think what he means is that capitol hill tries to be a little version of new york: shitty apartments costing way too much money smile.gif It is possible to get good places there - I lived in a converted attic above an older couple, it was an awesome studio, but I got it by knowing somebody who was moving out. It was never advertised. I think most capitol hill places are pretty crappy, plus there really is a lot of crime there (I think it's the highest crime neighborhood in seattle). Might still be worth a look though.

I saw an interesting one in pioneer square on craigs list. That would be a cool neighborhood from an art perspective, plus good bus access. Down side, you get the worst of the old downtown stuff (loads of panhandlers and probably not the best in terms of crime)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any suggetion for location? Someone mentioned Ballard. I was looking Freemont since it slightly closer to downtown.

Lots of rooms in Greenlakes district.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballard is 'down the hill' towards the water kinda between cap hill and queen anne.

Your best bet is probally going to be first hill.
    Greenlake is in the U-district. thats quite a ways from cap hill.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i found something in Freemont. THough I will have up to 8 people living in the same house (quite large though) and it looks like one of those places where you have to be "spik and span". Freemont is a distance for DT/Cap but I already bike from Beacon Hill, so its not much further.

Though I also found a house near capital where guy looking for people sharing same diet (he was cool also). He was running into that he needed to fill all rooms to meet his lowest price though.

Found a pretty secure studio apartment in Captial Hill. But it felt too much like living in a dorm again.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance of living across the lake? Bus rides from kirkland are under an hour and some of the apartments in the area seem to be reasonably priced.
    And theres always Everett, which I know has decent apartments for dirt cheap, as long as you stay out of the more crime-ridden areas.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Ballard is a great neighborhood, just west of Freemont. It's a bit farther away from Capital Hill, but prices are a bit lower than Freemont. Another area to consider would be Wallingford, which is between Freemont and the University district. It's a very nice neighborhood, and a bit closer to Capital Hill. Prices there are similar to what you would find in Freemont. Ballard, Freemont and Wallingford all have lots of stuff to do, and are good for neighborhood nightlife if you're at all interested in that. I'd probably stay away from the U district if crime is a concern.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riding the bus across the bridges is a BAD idea.