Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fleet: SDK

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, but still very muddy in the chest and back.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    COLORZZ!!! takin shape takin shape
    wanna see the flesh done ! :P
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaah! Finally im registered. Okay poop u asked me about this sometime ago, now its time to put u all to shame!!!!! I would like to give this bugger a shot in the next few days if I still can.
  • zebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zebra polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the goods.. it's about time I came out of the shadows and actually posted somthing. So hit me with some crits please!
    fleet_kid_done.jpg
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna join in this weekend smile.gif
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Poop,

I really enjoyed your edit poly tutorials on your web site - previously I had having a hard time using edit poly. Basically because of that I had been avoiding it - your tutorials explained those areas and now I'm begining to use it a lot more and enjoying some new flexibility of that tool vs edit mesh.

Just wanted to say thanks - so I figured Id do a skin for your fleet model here in return as a small gesture smile.gif

So anyways here it is in progress:
    ck-fleet-shot1.jpg
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    fleet_01.jpg

My skin thus far.
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Nother pictar.

fleet_02.jpg

Not had a whole lot of time to spend yet since I've got some studying to do before my psyc. class tomorrow.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Getting there. any tips would be great. This isn't something i've done a lot of. this will be my first attempted and complete character texture. I've started on bobo's brunt but only half finished the head. been textureing a couple of props i made though. let me know what you think.

fleet1.jpg
    texture.jpg
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleet_03.jpg

More piccage. And if you don't like the green you can insert a large object directly into your left nostril.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    pseudobug, try and define his muscles a big more, as it's quite a low res texture, having some darker shadows might be good.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Noel, that green is looking cool, and I am digging your skin color choices. Looking forward to the rest.

Pseudo, I love the purple and the face mask, and the gold on his smaller bits looks great. I think the vest is a bit plain and isn't really reading like metal, more like plastic. Also the grey of the shirtsleeves is a bit close ot the skin color, it makes it look awkward. Keep going man, its looking great.

Looking good melkior, I am glad you enjoyed my tutorials. I like those stripes on his pants, looking forward to what you come up with.

Zebra could you show it with it at full bright? Right now its looking kind of muddy. I do like his orange uniform with the winged shoe on the front.

St3ady you finish yours or you can't come over any more.
  • blow-n-up
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blow-n-up polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha, hooker with a penis. that is the best and worste name i have seen on the forums. great, just great. o and i like the green but maybe scratch it up a bit in the end. cant wait to see the rest of then guys. keep it up
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update for me, trying to finish out the main blocking.

... must resist temptation to be shading things too much before I finish blockout what Im doing - lol

ck-fleet-shot2.jpg
  • zebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zebra polycounter lvl 18
    quick update san shaders.
    256x256 is pretty tough. still getting used to working at pixel level.
    fleet_kid_done2.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zebra - even if your target texture is 256x256 .. paint it in 512x512 ; it will be easier to paint ; and when you scale down many features will still be present and look good. It does take certain knowledge to compensate in certain areas for this that may be lost in resizing it but you will probably find it very easy to use.

hope that helps
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay blocking is now finished

his head and jetpack cylinders may change a lot from this blocking - i have to let them go where they take me whatever looks best as it evolves. I'm happy with the rest so will begin more detailed work now.

ck-fleet-shot3.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so started really coloring & shading now..
    some areas I blocked out I didnt like the color but stayed with the general layout

ck-fleet-shot4.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coming round to the home stretch I think:
    ck-fleet-shot5.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, Any better? I think next time i'll choose something a little less shiny. . . and gold.
    @poop:
    Yeah, I notice that about the arms as well, I've changed them to a dark black for now. (this is what happens when you don't plan at all.) Great learning experience though. I was intending for the vest to look fairly simplistic though. I did not however, plan on it being gold. And after you pointed it out, I realized that it didn't really look like gold either. Oh well. . .

fleet2.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    killfleet.jpg
    $HA!$ this model is freaking hard to texture!
    i moved the mesh around, i didn't like the shape of the head frown.gif
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @killingpeople:
    Aha, it is a bit tough eh? Tsk tsk poop. You have made an undesireable head. My biggest issue would probably be the bulbous nose. Hehe. I have nothing to complain about though.
    I thank the gracious pooopman for making said sdk available.grin.gif

Did a bit more, I might call this finished. Unless of course prodded by the local poopsmith. I'm not sure that My shiny chestplate of greatness is going to render well in a game env due to the way that the models smoothing groups are. learned quite a bunch on this dude. Dang this thread is dead though. Somebody give the poop a kick in the pants, and tell him to get his self ova heea.

fleet3_small.jpg
    Looky, I made a thumbnail!^
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone must have been modeling in HOMOvision (tm). Looking sweet killing, you do realize when I finish this for Quake, that your texture will go back on the original model. 8-)

Nice job Pseudo. I love the shoes and boots. Very cool. Glad to have your skin to add to the pack.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "you do realize when I finish this for Quake, that your texture will go back on the original model."

[/ QUOTE ]

time-out! ... well pffyeah! ... ok, i kinda did. shoot, i guess i approached this wrong then... like, i was just having fun and stuff? i moved the uvs in the face around too, i just kinda did it... can i be excused? i'm sick.
    i'll try something different, hrm what to do with that head! tongue.gif

*puts on his creative tie* .. it deflects HOMOvision(tm) btw.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You. . . You really like it? shocked.gif *faints*
    I guess I somehow thought that it would not necessarily be acceptable. Your not just saying that to be nice now are you? Or because your insanely busy, and I'm starting to get irritating, Poop?

I do like how the shoe-boots turned out I must say. Glad they make the cut. "Great models are never finished:Only abandoned". It could probably use some tweaks here and there, but I think I'd like to take what I've learned on this and move on to the next one.

By the way, it's 'pseudoBug, and not pseudo.' You probably know that, and are simply shortening it like I do yours, but I thought I'd make sure since there is an actual 'Pseudo' running around here.

Didn't want any confusion. My excuse is that I was here first! Although I don't know if that's true.*runs quickly away*
    Ok, I need to work on my grammar.

@killingpeople
    Haha! that last post cracked me up for some reason.
  • Megaphobema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megaphobema polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone explain this HOMOvision to me? I have read it in three threads now and am curious to know what it means...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Notice that the person who said it was Ben smile.gif
    It's one of his little words that he makes up now and then... I guess it means he wasn't thinking straight? Heh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killings changes make it look quite a bit better, i never really liked the model at all but with his changes it fixes some of the glaring issues and as always some nice texture work goes a long way... The texture is looking a little girl-ish tho kill.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthquake: The problem is that the model is supposed to be a young (15 ish) boy, and killings changes make it look like a midget, because now he has an adults proportions in the head, but still a childs proportions in the body.
    I did say this was made over a year ago, but I am satisfied with the geometry, and many people have already finished their skins for the existing proportions, so its permanent.

Pseudobug, yes I like it. Why would I lie?

Mop hit the nail on the head. He *would* know about HOMOvision (tm) though, being brittish and all....

8-)
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Poop, Didn't want to imply that you were lying. Just A bit suprised that it's good enough to make the cut, and that you like it. Oh, by the way, I stopped by your site, and your news page still thinks it's 2004. (It is 2005. . . right?)
    Or is it. . . .
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I see what everyone is saying about the head.
    /hangs head in shame. What I might do, is after I get this guy all finished, is make an instance per person that finished a skin, and try to fix the head so that it doesn't bonx anyones skin. Maybe I can come up with a solution that will work with everyones skin and will look better. If not it can go in as is and just be...HOMOerotic.

Took me forever to figure a solution on the face I didn't hate. I am not sure how I feel about this yet.
    fleet_08.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop: Two things; skin tone dosent seem to match on the face as it does the body, and his face looks way too defined for a 15 year old. But other than that its looking good.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The face scares me. The whole curved up mouth, and the eyes just freak me out because it all happy looking but distorted.

note: i need to make some head textures... so i'll stop criting until i know what i'm talking about.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    great job poop, i think the hair looks really good
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poop -

I noticed the head problems too - but didnt want to say anything -appearing to possibly be ungracious when I was coming here and doing the SDK in part to say "thank you" for the tut's.

My question to you is - have you already rigged this model? IF not then I think I have a reasonably manageable solution that fixes the model without changing the UVWs by very much - to me its mostly about the depth of his eye cavity .. and partially about his ears being a bit lower and farther back than I would have placed them.

I modified both of these myself and they look fine while leaving the skin exactly as it is .. if you want a look at what I did let me know and I'll email you the file or something.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay heres my modified head - fairly minor but the ocular cavity is much less prounounced and theres some minor other tweaks to the facial profile to adjust for that as well.

I couldnt move the ears as much as Id have liked or it would have warped a lot - but this is a bit closer to the proper height so it makes it look more natural.

ck-fleet-shot6.jpg

And if you want to review and or use the model heres my revision - note the UVW are unchanged - preview your own model on it and see how you like it.

http://studio-erebus.com/polycount/fleet-02.zip
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe. I Think that's why I decided early on to give him a face mask smile.gifAnd, um, make him not human. .ish.

By the way, I forgot to link my finished texture. So here it is poopmeister. Get it while it's hot.
    *edit(ok, so maybe it wasn't so hot. Link works now)
    texture here
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress update - hes almost done now

ck-fleet-shot7.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ck-fleet-pineal.jpg

I'm thinking this might be done ..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blah, this is it for now, I want to start working on getting him into quake 3. I made those adjustments to the head, and made sure it didn't screw with anyones model. the only one that doesn't look good is Killing Peoples. Your adjustment you made gave him/her a much narrower jaw, and that wasn't really keeping with the original model. So it looks like your's has a bit of a fat face at the bottom.

fleet_09.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres my file as a 512x512 tga in a zip
    feel free to resize to 256 if you thin its needed - will lose a teeny bit of detail but not that bad

pineal
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty schweet poop, that fix helped the face mucho.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I just picked this up, so I'm gonna try and get this guy done within a week. I did this for the last q3 skin I did, so it's nothing too original, but I wanted to get something done, at least.

fleet01.jpg
  • old_man_funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    old_man_funk polycounter lvl 18
    Started over with this one, a little old man:

fleet-01.jpg
    fleet-flat-01.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    old man - cool idea smile.gif interested to see what you come up with !
  • old_man_funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingame.jpg

He is in game and working boys. I'd like it if everyone had their skins wrapped up and sent to my email addy poop at poopinmymouth dot com by monday evening. I am going to make the skin pak then.
  • old_man_funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully have mine finished by then grin.gif

fleet-03.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    way to rush me man! i've got lessons tomorrow afternoon, then a band practise in the studio in the evening... i might have a few hours spare, i'll see if i can finish mine up smile.gif

</lazy>
  • old_man_funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up my skin.

fleet-final-b.jpg

fleet-final.jpg