Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fleet: SDK

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Ok, I figure alot of us are gonna have some spare time on our hands over the Christmas break, so what better way to spend it than on a group project. I resurrected this model from the ashes, finished it up, UVed it and now I present it for anyone who wants to skin it.
Included in the zip file is a 3ds, a max file, and a PSD that contains a texporter white wireframe, a texporter face normals layer, and the psd path version of the wireframe at 256x256. Feel free to increase the size, if you wish to do it at 512.

868 triangles
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/fleet.zip *edit: updated on 12/20/2004 Redownload if you got before then.
fleet.jpg

Replies

• jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Cool! More miscellaneous projects to clutter things up! It's gonna be a quiet week at work anyway...

Okay, it's a barefoot kid with vacuum bottles for shoulder blades, right? I don't remember this, so please provide the background. wink.gif

Fleet: is that like the enema?

300.jpg

/jzero
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    yay fun fun poopinmyfaaaaace reminds me of that old jet pack dude made by billy kurilko that everyone had much fun skinning, ill try to give this bad boy a skinjob with a happy ending
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, I think I will give it a go.

BTW, do you have a concept for this model?
    It would be nice to have something to go by
    while skinning it. Should we post our WIPs
    in here?
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    no, not quite jzero. I was more trying to reference the phrase "fleet of foot", than an enema double pack. But its nice to know where your mind is. 8-)

Enix, for sure post progress here, thats what the thread is for!
    Here was the original concepts, changed a bit at the model level
    gauss.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's a pretty cool model - I like the body, arms (fists are cool) and the pose of the legs. The jetpack is a little bland but not too bad. The head mesh I don't really like - weird geometry around the nose and mouth, it looks a little wide, and i think the brow is too heavy, not enough forehead either.
    Also the uv's are pretty squashed (parts bleeding over onto others if you're not REALLY careful at 256) and you seem to have given huge amounts of UV space to the back of the head, and the underside of the jaw - places I'd usually leave a little less room for since nobody really looks at them.

Oh well, I'll have a crack at it, see what I can do ... roommate! smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I changed the head a bit on the model based on feedback from Mop and Shotgun. Also the UV's have been updated. Redownload if you got it before 12 noon Eastern time on 12-20-2004. Hope this doesn't set anyone back.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea...here was my super early wip on it:

very_early.jpg

Im redoing the face, it looks to old, I
    think he should be younger. Any suggestions?
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix it looks like you have the old SDK, redownload. Only minor things have changed, so you shouldnt have to start all over. sorry about that, but Mop and Shotgun pointed out some glaring errors that needed fixing.
  • want2design
    Offline / Send Message
    want2design polycounter lvl 18
    I would like to give it a shot, but I'm a bit confused with the UV mapping. Is it already completed and I just have to assign the material to the model?

Thanks.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, its a really nice map. Its pretty easy to understand.
    Just look at the colors and shape on the UV. And heres
    my new wip on the skin...i started my old one at 4:00 am
    last night. Was pretty much out of it tongue.gif. All excusses
    aside heres my new WIP:

render_back.jpg

Just started the backpack thing, probally gonna stick
    with my colors, i might give him hair, not sure yet.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    fleetwip1.jpg

About an hour so far. Just laying down the design really. Still not sure about the boots/socks ... and the head might need some redesigning, but meh... WIP!
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahaha, I love the headgear, rockin!
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Love the design MoP. Im still thinking of a good design,
    but im proablly going with metal and a secsi cybar look.

render2.jpg
  • want2design
    Offline / Send Message
    want2design polycounter lvl 18
    I have to ask a 'newbie' question. I want to increase the texture resolution to 512x512. I have worked out how to change the resolution on the UVW Unwrap modifier, but how can I export the wires as an image format (or do I have to take a screenshot instead)?

Thanks.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have texporter? Just get texporter and
    export it as a 512 x 512 map. And here are some
    updates on mine, just worked on it for about 20
    more mins today. Christmas is coming so computer
    time is short for me ATM :P.

render3.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    well if you use the path version of the uvs (which is what I do) it resized perfectly with your image size change. Just go to the path tab (its in there with the layers and channels) and click on the path. now go back to your layers and whneever you want to hide the path, just hit ctrl+h and it will toggle it on and off. If you want a new actual layer, you should download texporter and rerender it out.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    You can also make outlines from paths. Resize the uv map file, create a new layer and make sure it's selected, go to the Paths tab, change to the brush tool with a really small, like one pixel, brush, choose the color you want the outlines to be, make sure the correct path is highlighted if there's more than one, and click on the white, solid circle with a black outline on the bottom of the Paths tab window. You'll see all the paths being stroked with the same size and color of brush you have selected on the new layer you created. Now you can turn off the paths and just use the new layer as your template.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Update, just blocking in shading and doing a bit more detail on the metal and cloth. I still need something to make the design interesting...

fleetwip2.jpg

Enix: I like where yours is going, the jetpack and armour is reminding me of modern Japanese high-tech stuff like those walking robots they're making... all smooth matte plastic, pretty cool.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    hey good job mop!
    this could turn out really sweet

2 things on-the-way u might want to consider:

the shapes on his custom r very linear, sharp corners, etc.
    on the shoe, its more stylish.
    peronsally i think i like the shoe more, and would like to see that style consistant in the rest of the custom

other thing, again probably just personal preference, i think the armor design is a bit weak. very "generic" and "passive".. if u see my point
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Change the chest plate to a more interesting design...
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    fleet_styleface.JPG

yea mop. i agree with shotgun had to say smile.gif here my
    smallcontribution for the thread. poop just begged to hard
    and i could just not skin this model with a thought of
    christmas in the head... i hope everyone who skins it has
    fun ...

shalalala i made a quick update heh. with it on the model
    im not to happy with how poop made the uv i think it is
    distorting the boyish look that i have on the flat...
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I've changed mine a little now (will post new pic later if I do some more work on it) and now it's smoother with more curvy designs like in the boots, and yeah it's an improvement.
    The chestplate was a cheap fill-in, I couldn't think of anything to put there and I still can't, but I'm scribbling on it and will probably come up with something to match the rest of the design soon.

qubi: yeah the face mesh and uv's are a little weird, the uv's kinda squash the texture (i ended up putting the eyes really far apart on the texture so they looked right on the model), and I think the shape of the head is odd - it improves if you move 4 verts at the chin forward a little. smile.gif
    Nice work on yours, reminds me a little of Per's "kangol" skin for the Mole model a long time ago. But yeah the face does look weird and distorted on the model, shame because it's a nice flat smile.gif
    sharp sharp!
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    fleet_styleface2.JPG
    i toyed around with ideas in the head what i could make
    out of this model. maybe some cyber sport theme i thought.
    dunno if anyone would be comfi wearing such a suite hehe...

mop why arent u on irc when you are on :P
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hmm mine was gonna be some sports guy too :P ... the WIP i had before these looked like he was wearing schoolboy soccer kit.
    i don't have irc on my laptop here... i could go download it if you want? smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I know what I'm doing on my week off next week. Nice model poop. Can't wait to get started on this.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    qubism & MoP : awesome stuff guys smile.gif

and great model from poop for sure !

Count me in for this one, if I found the time of course laugh.gif

just keep rockin' all
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    does the model remind anbyone else of a leaner bobby from king of the hill?... with a jet pack...must be the short pants
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Qube the first one you did had a scuba diver feel to it - liked it more than that fuscia you're running with now. MoP: hurry and finish yours, I like how its going laugh.gif
  • old_man_funk
    Offline / Send Message
    old_man_funk polycounter lvl 18
    Here's my attempt. Not much of a theme going on, just playing around.

fleet-wip-001.jpg

-- funk
  • Slaughter
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaughter polycounter lvl 18
    Hi all!
    Well...at least i tried :]
    fleet_wip.jpg

@old_man_funk
    Nice to see you again funk :]
    Great work with the shorts...
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm lazy....

heres a head:

fleet_wip1.jpg
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here's my attempt. Not much of a theme going on, just playing around.

fleet-wip-001.jpg

-- funk

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha you get my vote for best shirt.
  • old_man_funk
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, good to see you to Slaughter tongue.gif
    Cheers Adam, I've been experimenting with a lot of shirt designs so I might show a few more when I finish the skin.

-- funk
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    nice one Rockstar laugh.gif I love the "borg-style" of yours.
  • old_man_funk
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much of an update to the actual skin, just a few colour changes I was experimenting with...

fleet-wip-002.jpg

-- funk
  • Taimaishu
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Slow but surely.. Im trying to make an 1870 Samurai gone to the future haha, dont know if it will work out but it never hurts to try .

Just the Base of the armor, no detail

pic39ft.th.jpg mad.gif
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    alright here's another shitty one...

fleet_wip2.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff Rockstar. You seem to have nailed how to get a face texture to look "right" on the model (I still haven't really) ... mind you the shadow under the nose is a little weird (should shade more under the nostrils too, and highlight more just above the middle of the top lip i think).
    Nice design on the chest.
  • Badname
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    SDK-fleet.jpg
    Woeha what i struggel I had with the head :| damn need to train more smile.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    horrible model poop, horrible wink.gif
    but i made a start, influenced by Prs-Phils first idea or better said i stole it from him laugh.gif nothing special, i leave it at this stage was great fun using non antialiased brush.

fleet01.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    geez Shimmer, calm down. It's not a "horrible" model. Besides, he said it's super old. All he did was UV and release it.
  • Prs-Phil
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    wink.gif

here ya go poop, slow start for me.

fleet_wip1.jpg

I would just like to thank shimmer for his patience and tips wink.gif
  • Malengine
    Offline / Send Message
    Malengine polycounter lvl 18
    oh nos! a face! i really need to get better at painting metals, so this could be good practice if I, you know, ever touch it again.

fl33t.jpg
  • thinsoldier
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    mr_Rockstar .... I dunno what is is about the pixelation of your screen capture, but I just had a massive flashback to chronocross on the PSOne....gosh...I have to play it again now...geezz...
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    w000t not dead. My color study, started blocking in the texture, painting comes tomorrow.
    fleet_cran.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    fleet_01.jpg

Slowly but surely
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    shimmer he looks like ghengis khan heh.
    malengine that looks cool, reminds me of the oldschool q1 skins from back in the day, you should keep goin with it.
    heres my adidas wearing soccer loser dork guy so far:
    adidas2.jpg
    updated a bit, he sort of looks like my younger brother its funny how that turned out
    c'mon poop where you at DOG
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay for update!

fleet_05.jpg

About halfway done. I am trying to learn how to use more muted colors well, as all my skins are normally super saturated. I would have loved to make this one brighter, but I am forcing myself to keep it cool.
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    hahahehe, I know what you mean, tis hard to get out of that sort of thing. lookin smecksi; sorta reminds me of a tennis player for some reason..

i think ive had 2 much coffee.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Still plugging. the idea was to get it into quake 3 this past weekend, but the zbrush tutorial took up alot of my time, along with computer problems. Hopefully by this next weekend it will be done with custom animations as a Quake 3 model. So finish your skins soon if youz gonnaz.

fleet_07.jpg