Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

getting ready for hl2

LunarWolfX
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LunarWolfX polycounter lvl 18
ya, I haven't really been modelling like I used to, and the models that I have done, I've only shown to a community that really doesn't know how to model.(for those who know me, I'm not talking about ESF)

I'm getting ready for hl2 work for an rp mod, so I'm making a model for all the different type of things you can make in hl2 which are vehicles, static props, ragdoll props, breakables, player models, etc... So I'm starting off with a vehicle.

skin isn't done yet, and I gave it a car paint render for fun.

readyforhl2.jpg

Replies

• vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    If you're looking for C&c please post wireframes, give more info (polycount, etc)
    not sure but mebbe you should widen it a little, it seems very small seen from the front, compared to the side view...
  • LunarWolfX
    Offline / Send Message
    oh right, wireframe.

mycarrendered2.jpg

As you can see, I mesh smoothed it, but I'm gonna include lod for the model.

pc: omg, it's 6k
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the hood area runs too parallel to the ground. Modern cars have more of a slope downwards towards the front of the car.
  • LunarWolfX
    Offline / Send Message
    so they go like this |\ ?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    what's the poly count on this vehicle? cause the dune buggy and water craft in hl2 are both ~6000 tris (5944 for the watercraft and 5824 for the buggy). You should definitely be able to spend the polys on actual rims, as well as cutting in for the headlights and putting transparent polys over them. Also, consider some beveling along that front grill.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As you can see, I mesh smoothed it, but I'm gonna include lod for the model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesh smooth isn't a very good way to improve the geometry of a mechanical object like a car (also, it would be much more helpful if you could post a wireframe of the mesh before you applied mesh smooth). You should model the highest detailed model first, and then scale down from there; just adding mesh smooth to a low poly vehicle isn't going to look very good.

As for the lines of the car (hood, fenders, rear), it doesn't look too bad to me, but could use some tweaking. I can see you roughly based this model on a first-generation (early 90s) Viper R/T 10. If you were trying to model that specific car, then the model needs a lot more work, but if you're trying to model a generic roadster, then it shouldn't need too much tweaking.

I did a quick overlay of a few things that I think could improve the overall look of the car.

roadster.jpg
    1. The roll bar should have a slight curvature, like the top of the windshield
    2. It's hard to tell from the render, but the side vent doesn't seem to jut out far enough... it should stick out about 6 inches (actually, it doesn't stick out, but rather the door curves inward to create that gap)
    3. The hood should have a curvature over the engine, and two more curves over the wheels (the curves over the wheels should have a much tighter radius, of course)
    4. The side profile should be more curvaceous
    5. The car should be quite a bit wider, as vahl already pointed out
  • LunarWolfX
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, keyser, I never knew you modelled.

This is actually the first time I've mesh smoothed since my first 3 models. I'm not good at doing high polies, so I add a mesh smooth.

It was like 1500 polies before mesh smooth. anyhow, I'll get fixing tomorrow.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    nice, keyser, I never knew you modelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, probably because I haven't posted anything here in a looong time frown.gif. I've been modeling as a hobbyist for a few years, but recently I haven't done much. I'm always starting projects and then leaving them incomplete to start something else. I have 3D ADD laugh.gif.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Meshsmooth BAD. At least for game models, for cinematics and movies it's cool. It adds a ton of unneeded polys to your mesh. With some extra effort, I bet you could get the same look as the meshsmoothed version with way fewer polys if you took your low poly model and rez'd it up by hand.