Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

apoc sniper animation

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
lift.jpg

this is an animation of my apocalyptic sniper lifting a box. adam mechtley helped me out by rigging and skinning it for me, thanks to him.

view 1

view 2

(i'll model the gun someday, i will!)

-kill

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck me sideways, I like that animation. I like it a lot. Very realistic motion, I personally can't find anything wrong with it (apart from a few very minor clipping issues), then again I'm no animator.
    Still, it's very impressive! At least, it's impressing me. wink.gif

MoP
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    very very impressive. i love it. Great stuff.
  • DavidCoen
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCoen polycounter lvl 18
    ?not certain if you 'want criticism'/ not certain if i am qualified to give it?

it is certainly good, but there is little 'cause and effect energy' portrail. (the spine/feet remain static for the box changing weight for the body, and i would even say that turning your head from side to side, you move your back a bit

i have been doing a lot of dancing the last year, so quite sensitive to weight movement on feet and center of ballance. not just moving to the balls of the feet while walking, but even the little 'stub out cigeret butt' twists you tend to do~

anyway, back to a macro level thing i might be able to explane, to set a 'body' in motion, you need to give it energy, and if you only support points are the feet, then any movement of the box gets carried up the arms, down the back to the feet. Impart movement onto box and you need to push off the ground, and then to stop the box moving, you have to exert force again (think ice skating, then nail feet to floor...)

advice? do more small animations, i would also recomend dancing, but the time investment there could be quite large before getting returns for animation....
  • ShadowM8
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good.
    One thing that stands out the most is when he picks up the box off the ground, it is done too fast and looses the feeling of weight. Parts where he hops the box by bending the elbows have the same problem. What would possibly help that is putting in an antic before the action.
    Cheers!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yah man, good job. pretty damn well done.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    its good to see u exploring new fields all the time,
    its refreshing
    good job

im not sure what our break dancer boy david coen here tried to say, but if i read it right he was talking about using the spine more to carry the pressure

i think he's right

as he's lifting the box his cute ass remains "outside". normally when lifting heavy weight it would move in under the body, with the back staying straight

when only using the arms and feet, it makes the box seem light, or him incredibly strong. when we lift heavy weight it is essential that we use our back to support the lift

i think the same should i apply to the second lift as well, he gets hold of it again too easily. either i would expect him to grab it from below, which is just makes sense as being easy, or if he still grabs it from the sides then he would probably bend in his knees a little bit until he puts enuf pressure againts the box that it holds in air
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daaamn dude thats awesome. Very realistic of you.. hand movements, finger movements.. everything. Well done. No complaints here other than some clipping issue.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The animation is very good overall. I think it looks very natural. But it looks like you're animating the box and the hands seperately from each other. There are points where his right hand kind of floats around and isn't firmly attached to box. You need to either link the hands to the box once he picks it up, or the box to the hands, or (preferably) all three to a seperate helper object. That way you animate the helper object and the box and hands will all move as a unit and there won't be any slipping.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great job man. Biggest thing missing is the box and the body don't move in the z at all other than straight forward. When carrying a heavy weight like that, you will have a lot of back and forth movement as you are placing each step and lifting the next food. Overally I like it a lot.
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Being a breaker as well..

Im impressed. Its really good. But I agree that the box seems to lose its weight at the end when he seems shrugs it to get a better grip before setting it down.

when stacking a heavy object like that, you tend to rest an edge of it first, to help you find where you're setting it down, then readjust your grip, and then push/slide it onto the other block, while that edge you rested it on keeps contact with the other surface.

Maybe even make him walk it onto the other block by lifting one side at a time?

great work otherwise
  • El_PIG
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Hot Damn Killing! This came out very nice. You animated that Cory model real good like.
  • WhackZero
    Offline / Send Message
    WhackZero polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap, killing... thats damn good

...how long did it take you to do this lil sequence?
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    I'm digging it a lot man, but it does need some tweaks here and there, mostly secondary animations like others have mentioned (swaying of the box from side to side). The main problem I see is the characters balance is off. For example when he first picks up the box off the ground, his feet are not directly under the center of mass. Your feet are always under the center of mass otherwise we'd be on our asses most of the time. When your standing, the default center of mass is pretty much under and inline with your shoulders. So we place our feet squarely under our shoulders for max stability. When we walk or run we move from 2 feet on the ground to only one foot at a time so we no longer place each foot under its perspective shoulder, but the single foot is more centered left to right of the body. Not totally centered though due to the momentum we carry as we walk. Now when we're carrying something our center of mass changes and the mass of the object being carried is added to our own. In this case a heavy box being carried in front of us would shift our center from under our shoulders slightly forward to a position out in front of us. You seem to have this down when he's moving forward to due to his upper body leaning back, but not when he's removing the box from the ground. I say move his feet forward more under the new center of mass and lean his upper body back a little more at the moment of lift off. I always noticed the two main things to remember when looking at animations are center of mass and momentum. And unless they’re doing the robot, no animation should look rigid and should be very fluid. Nothing comes to a dead stop.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys.
    i want to play with animating this guy some more. i would like to finish unwrapping and texturing the model adjustments on his boots ontop of creating the rifle model. adam wants to make some changes to the rig and once he gets around to it he will hopefully jiz all over my face.. wait.. i mean send me the new file.. wow, i do not know what came over me.. sorry.

i would also like to have some simple facial expressions to play with, so i'll see if i can manage that at all. rigging concepts are soring over my head left and right, so.. all in good time i suppose. switching from max to maya makes learning maya a little more difficult but, i am enjoying myself and for this, that's all that really matters to me.

thanks to all of the helpful observations and input from you all. it was all decripted and taken in.

hongman,
    this sequence took me two days of work at an estimated time of 8 hours. technical things snagged me along the way and i would rework sections of the sequece that i was not happy with. i experimented and tweaked with timing and angles and stuff a lot. before setting out to create this sequence was a lot simply playing with the rig and many animation attempts that consisted of failed walking cycles. i got to learn my way around adam's rig and was able to get a feel for maya's animating tools.

El_PIG,
    you pretty much suck tongue.gif