Home General Discussion

Doom movie...if you want to even call it that

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
Yesterdays Penny Arcade comic caught my attention, so I looked into it, and checked Dark Horizons. What turned up was this shit.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041203i.php

Jesus...way to just ride on the franchise name instead of actaully making a movie that has something to do with the game series...

Replies

• Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    This pisses me off.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    So, it's just Resident Evil Apocalypse, remade with a Doom name then? I heard about this a few days ago. To be honest I never had very high hopes for a Doom film in the first place, there's only so much you can do with an original plot that would have fitted on the back of half a napkin.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I hope no one sees it...
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    All I know was that Karl Urban is in it.. who to me, is a total badass. So I hold faith, and doom was more of a horror film than action, which is what they state this movie will be, action was quake.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The Rock is in it as well. He is "Sarge"
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i'm taking these as just rumors for now. i hope the writers, and producers arent that stupid.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its Dungeons & Dragons all over again!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hahaha shitty movie for a shitty game!
    (Never played Doom 3 so I'm talking out of my ass right now). poly104.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I can't understand why the guys at id willing signed over the movie rights lock, stock and barrel, rather than demand final script approval. It's not like Cloud or the Carmacks are hurting for money and had to make a deal; if I were in their position, I'd tell Hollywood to take its money and go home rather than (a) let some hacks buttfuck my intellectual property and (b) listen to fans slam the film from here to DVD rental obscurity. Even if it's a bad film (which seems likely), I think everyone prefer a bad Doom film than a bad generic sci-fi flick with the Doom title slapped on the front of it.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    "One character is a technician called "Pinky" who has a cybernetic wheelchair thanks to a bad teleporting accident."

That reminds me of the guy in Alien Ressurection. It's bizzare how little innovation you find in high budget film making, I guess spending that kind of money makes the execs very risk averse.

This reminds me, I worked with a fellow in Seattle who told me a story about a friend of his in hollywood who read scripts for producers and reccomended innovative or just plain great scripts for development.

On one occasion he was doing research for a movie the studio was to produce. Reading through the scripts, he found some good ones. He went to his executive's office and walked in on a meeting the exec was having with Ted Danson. Ted Danson was relating a horrible idea (which he personally thought was fantastic) he had for a film and which the exec was complimenting him on. The reccomendations the researcher made were never produced because instead they went with Ted Danson's horrible idea primarily because he is Ted Danson (which ironically would be the prime reason why I would not produce it).

Apparently the production process is rife with ego stroking and capitulation at the expense of quality creative product. Of course this fact is evident just by looking at a lot of Hollywood films like "Glitter" and "Gili" but I thought the inside story was interesting.

I asked which Ted Danson movie it was that canned his frineds proposals and he wasn't sure.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its Dungeons & Dragons all over again!

[/ QUOTE ]
    OMG that one is on my list of the ten worst movies I've seen. It's #9 IIRC. Damn, I gotta search that list. Doom might change it.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    A super virus that turns a cripple into a pinky demon like in Doom 3? Sounds like a virus...FROM HELLLLL! No hell demons and no space marines...way to capture the game there with your $70 million!

Bleh, the minute a game movie is actually well done I shall consider the media crossover viable, but until then, I don't think games should be made into movies period. They need to realize gamers aren't just the teenagers who like mindless bad action and nu-metal.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well in response to mops comment, i think that a decent writer could have took the bassis of the napkin long story that was in the doom games and make a verry interesting scary movie out of it, it would just take a lot of addition and fleshing out. its just.. they chose not to even try, Personaly i like the rock as an actor lately, sorry to see him in this travesty, this sounds almost as much to do with doom as the mario bros movie had to do with mario bros. or the double dragon movie
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indicently, I was always fond of the original Mortal Kombat film. It stuck pretty close to the, err... plot... of the game, and was entertaining though mindless.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it is pretty indecent to be a fan of the original MK film, vermilion wink.gif
    Mojo: Yeah, true, a good writer could have transformed into something much deeper and interesting. But they've gone the "formulaic action massmarket" route, in an attempt to please everyone they will probably end up pleasing no-one.
    Personally I think The Rock is a terrible actor. But this is neither the time or the place to discuss the thespian abilities of wrestlers smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe... I'll leave that typo there, as it's probably more correct than what I meant to write laugh.gif
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I have to admit that the first MK movie is the best game movie I've seen so far.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    this is really gona suck, why not make it things from hell , like in the game , at least it may be scary then , ive never been scared by viral mutations, ok , it maybe good for them to think its mutants for a while , until they see a revenant throw missiles at them ...

be better if they didnt try to sell films with franchise names ... coz its "dooming" them from the start , if i goto a movie that i heard is about some virus and i see a kickass film about viruses and all action , i may like it , if i goto a movie to see a doom film and i get anything other than a complete doom experience then im gona be disapointed, just like i was with the game ... rant
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    you could boycott the films and stage massive internet protests until id/carmack/whoever initiates some authorial/creative control over their IP.

i know i won't be seeing it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you have beasties from hell, you get the christian fundamentalist groups making a racket, cranking up the classification rating and costing ticket sales. They would have been better to go with aliens, seeing thats not all that far from what Doom had... well closer than virally infected mutants at least, and would allow them more room to maneuver with creature designs.

I suppose theres still a chance that it won't be a complete writeoff.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Removing the demons from Doom because of the rating is like removing the chainsaws from Texas Chainsaw Massacre because of the violence. The whole POINT of Doom is slaughtering demons in very graphic ways. Caring about ratings for Doom is like caring for the speed limit in Burnout. If you absolutely cannot make a movie within the constraints of the license perhaps you shouldn't buy the license and make up your own scenario instead. If you're afraid of Christians don't use the Doom IP, if you don't want to place it on Mars don't use the Doom IP, if you don't want fear and violence in your movie stay the hell away from the Doom franchise.
    Seriously, if you make Doom take place on earth and exchange the demons for aliens what do you have left? Half-Life. If you want to make a freaking Half-Life movie then call it Half-Life (or make up something if the license is too expensive), not Doom.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    also iD hasnt cared about making good games in the last umpteen years, they have been all about making new and pretty games, story plot.. and sadly fun gameplay are far down on the list of their priorities. i'm sure they looked at the script and said "wow this storry really sucks ass, but i'm sure if you put a lot of effects in it and it looks cool we will be ok"
  • Artreth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    Compared to all the meda ruckus around the initial stages of Doom 3 development, I have a nagging suspicion that John Carmack and Co. don't really care that much about Doom as it is. Sure, it brought them fame, glory, and money, but beyond that they seem to care zilch about it(of course I could be wrong about that).

What id has always done is to make engines that show technological marvel and games to showcase them, but stories have always been on the low-end of priorities. Just compare Halo and Half-Life to Doom/Quake franchises and you see a glaring difference in the focus on stories.

but I could be speaking out of my ass...
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
    Another example of Hollywood stupidity. It’s almost as bad as the original idea for the new upcoming superman film. Who the hell would watch superman if it does not stick to the original theme and story. Bah, this crap is so expected these days. "Ooo, that game sold loads of copies, lets make a movie. It'll do well".....yeah..Sure....I'm king of comedic legend and The Mario Bros movie made Billions......what ever.

Example: Halo games are sweet. Story is involving, game play is sweet and you feel like you’re in the middle of it all. Aint no way a movie would sell off that. WHY???? Cause Hollywood, would remove the mask. The mask that makes the game what it is......FUUCK YOU HOLYWOOD. FUuck you up your stupid ass. Anyways, that’s my little bit of $0.02 about this whole thing. Abit over the top but that’s my opinion
    smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually, there is a halo movie rumored to be in production, with woody harrelson as commander keyes. bungie has been approached with dozens of scripts for a halo movie, and all have supposedly been turned down. bungie doesnt want a potential movie to be fucked up.
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BUNGIE IS WIIIIIIIIIISE
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I think Bungie's official line was "If it isn't helmed by Ridley Scott, everyone can go fish".

The current rumour, by the way, also says that's he's interested in actually doing it, and Samuel L. Jackson has been approached to do Sgt. Johnson
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAMN RIGHT.....
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Microsoft makes movies, scary.

I have no expectations of this film. I did like the Redisdent Evil movie. I was a lil freaked out. M.Jovich makes any movie good :P

-R
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla jovovich or whatever her name is is WAY too skinny to be attractive. if you can see the contents of her stomach through her skin, then they are way too skinny.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    This will suck harder then the Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter movies.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While on the subject, I wonder if Nintendo's attempts at movies will turn out any better... I just hope they keep Miyamoto away from the set, he has a tendency not to like deep storylines (he vetoed the Wind Waker original storyline in favour of a more simplified one).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know if anything can beat wing commander. Hell, I think that basicaly ruined that franchise.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wing Commander played in space and it had evil cat aliens which immediately puts it above this "doom" movie.