Home General Discussion

Do You Collect Anything?

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I used to collect ciggarette foil for a foil ball. It got pretty huge, I don't remember what happened to it.

I used to also collect WW1 and WW2 trench lighters, but gave them away cuz I didn't want to tempt myself to smoke anymore...lame. I wish I had them back.

Scott your collections sound fantastic. Are you ever gunna make a WW2 website? I'd love to see it all.

-R
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • BoBo_the_seal
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    you've got like 9 monitors in your room bobo.

i'm envious of your greebo.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used to collect ciggarette foil for a foil ball. It got pretty huge, I don't remember what happened to it.

I used to also collect WW1 and WW2 trench lighters, but gave them away cuz I didn't want to tempt myself to smoke anymore...lame. I wish I had them back.

Scott your collections sound fantastic. Are you ever gunna make a WW2 website? I'd love to see it all.

-R

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. maybe, but Websites are a lot of work. Also proper display requires mannequns and I don't have enough room in the aparttment for that, but I proabably could. I also have a lot fo re-enactor photos showing other peoples equipment and vehicles, but a lot of my odds and ends have shown up as examples on this website

http://www.fxha.com/FXHA%20Master%20Pages/Photo%20Gallery-Rifles.htm

The only ones not being mine are the Springfield M1903A3, the M1 Carbine and the WW1 German Gew 98. But this is missing the French berthier rifle (which I kind of like), and the M1895 Mosin-Nagant Rifle. and the 6.5mm Arisaka (Which he did not Photograph, because it's stock is cracked and needs preplacing, but otherwise is a very accurate rifle.)

Scott
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Comics -

I collect in runs, I don't like to just grab one out of series. I think I've got about 10,000 comics/ graphic novels now.
    I like that each of my comics is a piece of my past, looking at each of them, I can place where I bought it and remember who I was at the time, for this reason I will never get rich selling them.

Singlemalt Cases -

I keep the bottles and cases of whisky I have drank with friends on special occasions, they remind me of good times I might otherwise forget.

Historical or Mythology Sculptures -

Mostly the expensive limited edition dragons, morgana le fey sort of stuff , but also stuff like roman centurions, gladiators and the occasional modern day model like Marv from Sin City.

Movies -

Another thing that helps put me in touch with old feelings I may otherwise forget. I should probably add movie posters into this bracket. I love tracking down the classics most dismiss or have not heard of.

Celtic Books and Manuscripts -

I'll buy pretty much any book on the Celts and I've found a great few sites on the net that have translated the old sagas into english and printed those out.

I think I'm just a collector by nature, there are other oddities I collect also but not to the extreme as my main obsessions.
    I consider now and then that my want to collect or take care of my posessions is born out of the fact that I had a little brother that went through his posessions and clothing so fast that I had to make mine last 10 times as long usually to balance out the cost.

Anyone else find that their collection is like some sort of emotional lodestone or memory trinket ; able to link you with pieces of your past?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else find that their collection is like some sort of emotional lodestone or memory trinket ; able to link you with pieces of your past?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not my past, but the past. I'm somewhat of a early 20th Century history buff, my lighter collection was a little piece of that. Each one I bought from someone who was either around to use it or knew the owner (more often the latter) I always had a nice history lesson that went along with the purchase of each of them.

I bought one of my older brass trench lighters in an historic town on Vancouver island, the guy who sold it to me chatted with me about his expierences in WW2. He told me the owner of the lighter accually lied about his age to fight in France. I guess the tail end of romanticism was still ringing in the heads of young men back then. My grandafther was a Hitler sympathiser, as were many parsi's in India, he was rascist against his own people but somehow made an acception for the little sub-section in Bombay (bizaar). He lied about his age to fight aswell. History ramble is now officially over, blame r0r *smrirkz*

-R
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I guess you could say I collected Magic: The Gathering cards since i use to play it a lot.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I collect fat

- BoBo

[/ QUOTE ]

MUUAAAHAHAHAHAHHA, so true
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    hrmm, Cinefex magazine and Gentle Giant Star Wars busts. I've only just started and acquiring some old issues of Cinefex is gonna cost me a ton of money. Especially those that contain SW and the indiana jones films :/ As for the busts I only have 3 right now, Yellow Clone trooper, Biker Scout, and the clone wars animated Yoda (don't get him til' christmas though).
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess you could say I collected Magic: The Gathering cards since i use to play it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg you too?

i think i may have like a box or something left in the closet, i remember once buying a deck for 70 dollars. confused.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Hot sauce bottles...

...because they're hot... smile.gif
  • blackhawkflybaby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackhawkflybaby polycounter lvl 18
    X-Files seasons. blackhawk and F-14,16, and 18 photos. Military junk!
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I have about 30 plastic Gundam models.
    Around 30 Star Wars and other misc. sci fi models, including six Falcons, five X-wings, ten or so TIEs of all configurations, SMT B and Y-wings, several Trek starships, the Sulaco and dropship, and more I'm forgetting.
    Around fifteen 1:18 metal sports cars.
    Gobs of art books, especially heavy on the sci fi and digital side.
    I've inherited a horrbily disorganised stamp collection dating to the '30s. I'm likely going to inherit a collection of tacky Mexican ironwood sculpture (50 or so pieces) and a collection of polished agates. Oh, the crap we accumulate. I consider the models my 'retirement entertainment package'. Hopefully my hands will still work by then.