Home Technical Talk

UT2004 animation blending problems

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
I'm having a problem with animations not blending properly in UT2004. I rigged my model using biped and some dummy objects and have been making custom animations for him. The problem I'm having is whenever he runs or walks or any of the movement anims and he shoots at the same time his legs stop moving and he just kinda skids along for a bit until the shooting anims are over. Otherwise the anims all play properly in-game.

Is there something I need to set in UnrealED or maybe change some bone names or what? If anybody can help me with this it would be much appreciated. I checked out a lot of docs on UDN but couldn't find anything that helped me.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    UT's anim blending is hard coded to recognize certain names, specifically those of a default biped.

If you have renamed anything on your biped or its an odd shape you need to create a socket with the proper name for the anims to blend from.

Specifically Bip01 Pelvis and Bip01 Spine.

are the more important ones, if I remember right.

The firing animation should start its blend at BIP01 Spine. So wherever the similar bone occurs in your skeleton add a socket named "BIP01 Spine" (quotes are needed to have UED accept the space) and it should play the run anim below that point, and the fireing above.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the odd thing. I changed none of the names of the biped bones and copied and pasted the mesh properties from one of the default models so all the sockets should have been set-up properly. When it plays the firing animation it plays it for all the bones except the Bip01. The Bip01 plays the movement it has in the RunF animation (or whatever movement animation he's doing at the time). The socket with the attachalias of spine is set to Bip01 Spine1 just like the default models. Guess I'll have to play with the sockets to get this working right.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the UT2004 files for my model. I don't have all the animations done yet but if someone could maybe take a look at it and see if they can see anything wrong. Thanks for any help in advance.

NormanUT2004.zip
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I got the help I needed. Apparently I had the biped pelvis set to triangle and that's a no-no with UT2004.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the info!

Scott