Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

modeling and rigging (some nudety) wip

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
Hi all , i havnt posted for a little while, ive been working on a new rig that has facial muscles as well as driven keys etc, im trying to get it so there is almost no tweeking , but the nastyest areas to get looking right are the shoulders and thy areas ...the face bits arnt rigged and the texture is not really even a serious attempt , ive gota add loads of detail to that ... (been looking at daz`s new tut) wot i really want to know is if anyone has any good shoulder and pelvis systems , and what they are ... im working in maya and i want to steer away from using too many driven keys ... and i dont realy want to use deformation cages at all ... just bones and ik ... i wish i could show the hypergragh node layout as this would show wot ive got going on ...
newrig1.jpg
the modeling for the head and body is almost done ... about 35k at the mo i think ... i havnt modeled the hands and feet yet really ... the main trouble like i said is the areas where folds are ...
newrig2.jpg

sorry about the generaly bad way ive presented this ...

i just wanted to quickly get some feedback , while im finnishing the rig ...

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great work so far, but she is really skinny. Her shoulders and upper arms make me want to 'force feed' her tongue.gif
    She has got a cute face though wink.gif

The biggest deformation problem is definitly at the hips, and results from (I think) joints that are too low.
    Have a look at the center or rotation on your own upper leg.

[edit] I am not a big fan of double joints like you used in the knees, since they don't represent the real bone joints. Do they work with an IK setup?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The model is looking excellent ( but you still might freak people out with naked pics of what looks to be a 13yr old ).

Surely these aren't so much 'rig' problems as skinning problems? I'm not convinced you'll ever be able to get around that creasing in the hips there unless you use blendshapes. Are you skinning or wrap deforming?

Youve seen this stuff Im sure:

http://www.optidigit.com/stevens/rigtut.html

http://staff.ci.qut.edu.au/~barkerc/Final%20PAN%20website/charactersetup.htm

I dunno, it seems like youre looking to achieve a really realistic setup, but without set driven keys I think thats gonna be tough. Are you trying to build a generic rig that you can use again, or a one time perfect setup for her?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the double joints in the knees do work ok and they do use ik, and joint placement is pretty much exactly right as the knee has 2 rotational axis in it if you study it .. my last rig had a 100% accurate skeleton , with the radius and ulna bones rotateing in the forarm , but this led to some nasty deformations in twisting the arm ... the shoulder system uses scapula and clavicle ik joints and driven keys that translate them in Y axis and z axis when my arm controler on the hand is moved , so they move with it ...but i get nasty conpression of polys there too ... also the under arm joints translate in y as well using driven keys ... this bit sorta works...

the actual model proportions are taken from a real life model ... thats why they are so skinny .. as for the hips , the hip bones are ok , they fit the model , and the hip joints are in the correct place in relation .. but i get some really bad streatching on the ass , and some really bad folding on the front ... i tried to fix this with 2 bones set to move when the leg box translates in y ... it sortof works , but i cant help thinking ive missed somthing ...

i dabled with some crazily complex ik systems to get the shoulder to work and in te end i recon the more bones you have , the worse the deformation ...

is my mesh too dense where im trying to fold ? ill post a wire frame ..
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz , 1 time perfect rig setup i think .. ive got alot of driven keys already ... but to make this rig semi transportabl , i want to be able to limit driven keys in areas that i will end up moving.. i really hope you are joking about the 13year old thing or im taking this off, its based on a model who is about 20 years i think ...

funny , that second link i was looking at just yesterday thinking that shoulder setup they have looks quite swish ... i do want to steer away from blend shapes.

notice how in the first one they never show the leg bent upward wink.gif

i think this is sorta a rig and skin problem ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I was kidding. Were so used to seeing models with big boobs, that anything more real seems oout of the ordinary!
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    I'm particularly impressed with her. You've done a splendid job, although the person who made the 13yr old comment? That young woman is by no means 13, she's more along the lines of a 19 yr to 22 yr old Asian College Student not a High School student. Seen and been friends with my fair share of Gf's back when I was in japan (1989/90) and she's anything but 13. The elbows however are a issue. Although, her left leg just above her knee it looks like she has a small scar which is quite refreshing to see with just a normal model like this. Good Work Thermidor.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz : no problem then , well , i was gona say the same thing in my defence .. hehe , its amazing how much breast size makes a difference to ppls perception ... cute girl with normal breasts is 13 , cute girl with implants is 25+

maestro , thnx for the suport , im sure daz didnt mean anything bad, i respect his work . hes darn good.

anyone got any ideas , ive just considered , maybe a spine ik bone structure attachech to the movement of the fatty areas of the back side end ... i would draw a diagram , but i cant be assed, (get it)

i gota say , i never meant this to be contreversial in any way , apart from maybe my modeling style wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    no need to make an issue out of it Maestro. I allready said it was a silly joke. So can we see the wire Thermidor?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill post wires of the areas im having trouble with, bare in mind there has been a mesh smooth ....

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    *scratchs his head while looking at Daz*
    Issue? I saw just making a observation and just stating my opinion and experince. Any thing you took from that may have indeed been out of context. Sorry.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im confused Thermidor. If there has been a meshsmooth how come there are triangless in the geometry?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drew a quick picture to show what I ment about the hip:
    hipjoint.jpg
    The red line is where I guess your current axis of rotation is.
    The green is where the axis of rotation should be, and the blue shows where the fold for your skinning ( how the vertexes are assigned to the bones) should be.

Now before the acusations start, the redline is just where I guess your axis of rotation is, judging from how the model folds at that particular place (and from looking at the second picture you posted). But it might as well be a strange way of skinning it (like Daz suggested?).

I did some research on the knee- two joints issue and while there is some evidence for your two joints theory (the knee is a pretty complex joint), I (and quite a few leg-prothesis makers tongue.gif ) still think it can be simulated with a single joint, that is aproximatly at the top half of the kneecap but moved back a bit (hmm very aproximatly laugh.gif ). The reason for this is that the knee joint doesn't only open up like box, but the upper bone also slides forward a bit.
    But you might be right, a two bone setup will probably give even more acurate results, but I doubt that it is worth the extra work... I will experiment with it some time.

Ok on to the other stuff wink.gif

I don't think it is the small boobs that make her look a bit young (not really 13 though), it is more the hairstyle and a maybe a bit to large head compared to the body (just a tiny bit). Oh btw the neck might be a bit to long also, not sure though.

Well and the wireframe shots show that there is something generally wrong about the hip and butt shape.
    The butt-cheeks (is that how it is called in English?) are too...hmmm...'pointy'(?)(exspecially for a extremly skinny girl that that) And the part of the hipbone that sticks out is at the wrong place, and also over pronounced (maybe not since she is so skinny).
    The area where your leg is the thinnest (a ring right under the butt-cheek) looks really strange too. Exspecially on the side of the leg, where a normal leg is not bend inwards like that. I might be overinterpreting this (!), but together with the placement of the hip-joint it shows me that you might have a general misconception about how the hip works and looks.

And last but not least: There are some horrible (ok I might be overreacting) mesh-flow/egdeloop termination problems, exspecially where the face and the rest of the body meets.

Now remember:
    "If someone is criticized, he must be doing something right, because only the guy who has the ball gets attacked" -loosy quoted from Michael 'Air' Jordan laugh.gif

[Edit]
    [ QUOTE ]

Im confused Thermidor. If there has been a meshsmooth how come there are triangless in the geometry?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That confuses me too shocked.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I see you've been reading "Maya Character Creation" by Chris Moraffi. Good book, but I think he goes a little overboard with the extra bones. Rigging and skinning is tricky business, you might want to check out this thread at CGTalk on the subject of skin binding. There's a lot of useful info there.

Personally, I think a lot of problems can be solved by good skinning, but that's debatable. How are you doing the skin weighting by the way? Painting or using the component editor?

And one last thing, I like using the two joint knee setup too. It's helps make the knee less mushy looking when it the leg bends.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JK : i think you hit the nail on the head with the arrangment of the hip and butt areas ... maybe some more modeling work would help....

Daz : this is a early wire of it before smoothing ... theres tringles all over the place , i guess it just divides them up too ...
    early1.jpg

Fatassasin : yeah , my girlfriend bought me that book for my birthday in august, been trying out lots of stuff ever since then ... i havnt got the hang of the component editor way ... so im just doing some small editing on the paint weights tool .. want to try and get a reasonable initial bind...

most of the modeling was done with reference photos and a really good anatomy book in front of me , but there are some areas where ive not finnished modeling yet .. thats why the neck has no modeling ... i just stuck it on after modeling it seperately , just so i could test the way it deforms on the rig ... thnx for the help guys , keep it coming ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Thats interesting. Well, ordinarily, not matter how many tris you have in your base mesh, a smooth will ALWAYS 'quadify' everything. So this had me stumped.

I finally figured out that you're using a somewhat unorthodox smooth algorithm that doesn't turn everything into quads. Youre using 'linear' instead of 'exponential' right? Any reason for that? I would really try and stick with the latetr If I were you, and furthermore try to use less tris in the first place. I think you'll find everything else will come a bit easier after that. ( and light will bounce off the model in a cleaner way. ) It's alot easier to delineate particular edge flow lines with quads, its less 'stuff' to deal with visually and easier to lay our UV's etc.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh , thats it , i think i remember messing about with the linear mesh smooth ages back , but never set it back to the defalt ... i had noticed the mesh looking very triangly .... bummer , i just spent the day modeling the high poly version ... i probly will have to go back and clean up the low poly then smooth later ... i was wondering about using a ramp shader to get mice shading quality , wot u think , will that work?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STOP... am I interpreting your last post right, that you are editing the mesh after smoothing?

If you are doing this, you should definitly NOT do this. Smoothing is basicly done as the last step before rendering (and in between sometimes to check the result, but always reversed afterwards).

The subD cage should have all the detail that is in the final mesh (excluding bumpmaps, displacementmaps and or the Zbrush stuff), smoothing is just done to make it smoother laugh.gif

P.S: Daz the soothing algorithem mostly used is called 'catmull-clark' if I remember correctly, and it does turn everything into quads.

P.P.S.: the visible part of the hipbone needs to be in front of the hip, not on the side. The fold/ thinnest part of the leg should be place diagonally right below it, not almost horizontal like you did it.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i generaly like to tweek things after a smooth , coz it always gives a nasty bloby effect tot he shape , and some things are meant to be sharp ... but , maybe this is my odd settings on smooth ... this isnt subd , ive never tryed to mdel using them , its sucha odd working , starting from primetives .. also i find it pretty slow ...

about the hip , its mainly visable from the front as the sides for the pelvis ... the front of the pelvis is sticking out abit too much i think tho ...

hips.jpg

this shows the joint layout as it is , and im pretty sure its more or less right ... maybe i should have the ik on the leg skeleton start where it is , but have an extra joint before it to make the rotational axis in the place it is on a real skelly...

still , its a larf looking at my dodgy drawing in red of a pelvis ... hehe
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    He's not using Catmull Clark JK. 'Linear' smoothing in Maya is using a totally different algorithm which sort of simply doubles the amount of geometry you have. Messy.

Thermidor, yeah JK is right. Tweaking the mesh after smoothing is totally defeating the beauty of the workflow of Model>Rig>Animate>Smooth.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    He's not using Catmull Clark JK. 'Linear' smoothing in Maya is using a totally different algorithm which sort of simply doubles the amount of geometry you have. Messy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry misunderstanding, I ment Catmull Clark is what he *should* be using (I am not used to the Maya terminology of linear and exponential).

@Thermidor:
    If you wants something to be sharp, and an extra edgeloop, or move the existing edgeloops closer together.
    Oh and subD is not box-modeling, but simply the method of creating a lowpoly-cage and smoothing is later on.

The point of rotation of the upper leg is definitly to low, it should be somewhere a little bit right (horizontally) of the middel of the blue diagonal line, that goes from the vagina to the outer part of the hip bone.

But if all of the blue line represent bones, than you definitly got quite a few totally useless one, since the hip is not moveable in itself, nor is the upper legbone at the top (the stuff you drew on the left side).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive got a few bones representing the pelvis . this stops that area collapsing , and makes me not need to do any painting of weights in the pelvis area ... but , maybe you are right and its interfearing with the leg hip setup.

i dont actually have the blue bone pointing at the vagina , or the first bone on the leg chain , but im thinking of putting that one in , so the rotational axis of the leg skelly is more accurate ... when we lift our legs the rotation isnt just att eh hip , so its hard to work it all out ...

today , i think i will go back to the modelig , try to get the low poly one back to a good lvl of detail , and approach it all hoe you and daz advise ... then i think ill try redoing my leg skeleton to fit the jiont placement abit more ...... i will post again later , so u can tell me where ive gone wrong ... smile.gif its pretty hard to see glaring arrors somtimes, im too close to the work ....
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well , ive made a foot :S its not finnished

foot.jpg

i have gone back to the original low poly mesh and remodeled some details in , its quite a different way of working for me , as ive always tweeked little details on the high poly model ... not adding polys , but moving verts a little ... still , its looking ok ... ill post a shot when im done on hands and feet.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working pretty hard on this ... i still have to do some smothing on the rig , but things are looking better ... ive done most of the things you guys thought eould make it better.... still texture and detailing to do ..

dec9.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking pretty good Therm, there seems to be a strange pinch going on the last picture just under the arm though.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , this is a skin bind with no editing at all , so there needs to be some smoothign to get rid of the deformation problems ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool Thermidor. So, something Im unsure about still in your workflow. Are you still smoothing, editing and then skinning? Cos the really nice thing about smoothing after rigging is that youre skinning a pretty low res model that way, making everything far easier to get your head around.

I still see alot of tris in that foot, and not very even poly density. The nails compared to the toes for example. Youre trying too hard to define the curve where toe ends and nail starts, instead of letting the smooth do the hard work with the curve for you. The form of your modeling is really nice for the most part. I just think you need to work on your topology. One of the best ways to do that is to look at a ton of other wireframes perhaps.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx daz , i am now editing clearing history and then smoothing ... after that , i skin , mainly becuase if i skin before smoothing its slower than a tortoise on morphine smile.gif

i definately have to work on my topoligy , but thats always the case smile.gif the foot is probly my first ever attempt at a foot smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    takes ages to rotate the view , and moving a ik handle is even worse... i dunno why, maybee its my system, i always thought it was becuase it has to remember too much history info while deforming the skin.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nolights.jpg

some shots of the texture un-lit... still some seams that need fixing.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff therm, she's a beauty. looks forward to seeing you finish her up and get a real beauty render out smile.gif
  • skullsplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of reminds me of casualties of the holocaust actually...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yuk.jpg

this is where i am now, it dosnt look like im having much progress , ive sorted out some areas that i didnt like , but things just dont quite look right ... im thinking of trying a different clavicle system ... does anyone know how to move the pivot point of bones that have ik attached, without drawing another bone ...

this shot is using the standard bind with a little smooth skin weights , and then the smooth poly turned up after ...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    This really is a great looking model thermidor. i like it alot. Just the right amount of definition in all the right places. Very realistic.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well, to me, the model still looks like a 13 - 14 year old, but hey. Anyway, as to the rigging here are some suggestions.

dec9C.jpg

After having animated a skeleton, where the bones and pivots are "out in the open" I noticed the animation was a LOT more "realistic" and facile. The thing about the shoulders and arms is that they are not "solidly attatched" to the body, but float on a layer of muscle, over the ribcage. That coupled with the fact it's a ball and socket joint makes the shoulders especially difficult.
    So what I would suggest is that you pivot the clavicle, where it actually pivots, which is at the top fromt of the ribcage. The model is skinny enough you have a clear indication of the clavicles. The diagram shows the positioning. To keep the mesh under control you can add a couple of bones to act as scapulae to move the mesh, or a reference object so slide under the skin. An arraingement like this will give you ver realistic shoulder shrugs, as well as giving a better indication of the slide over the ribcage.

Another suggestion is to add an extra joint between the shoulder and elbow, so as to disconect any "twist" rotation from the shoulder joint, which will reduce the incidents of "Beer canning". You can then blend the transition between the joints so that there is a gradual twist all along the arm, and preserving the shoulder from any twisting. If you delete all the channels except the proper rotation,, and then limit the rotation on that same axis in the shoulder youy can include it in the IK solution, from the shoulder to the wrist, as long as you are using an RPSolver. I hope this helps.

Scott
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i think im going to hell for looking at this thread frown.gif

but the model is beautiful, i didn't mean to dishearten you, keep up the good work!
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop : Cheers, ive been working hard on getting muscles and stuff to look right , the model is still far from perfect , but i think some ppl are "getting" what im trying to do.
    Thanks for the comments scott, im gona put a rotation in the arm like you have sugested. and im gona keep the clavicle and scapula seperate, maybe pivot the arm seperate as well , and use SDK to make realistic floating.

as for the 13 - 14 year old stuff frown.gif, its not too helpfull, i know its not just your opinion , within a few minutes of you posting "steady" has posted with somthing which i can only guess is on the same lines , maybe somone can tell me why she is meant too look so young? is it coz she has a smooth face? people of all ages have those , or a small build? look at Pior`s life drawing thread , there are plenty of skinny looking girls there ... but is he getting stick for it ...? i just wanted to make a realistic figure ... sure enough i could have gone 3 ways ... i could have made a fat figure with bad skin and saggy bits .. or i could have made a normal build figure (this would be fine too) but i really wanted an interesting figure , like those ive drawn in the past. i think its easyer to make the deformation af a well built figure work , so i was hopeing this would be more of a challenge.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Although I totally appreciate how idiotic pointless posts like the one immediately above might cause you to be annoyed Thermidor, try not to be disheartened. Youve got a great looking model so far.

If you want some actual *constructive* advice on what would make her look older ( but retain the 'skinny' feel ) , here are some thoughts:

Head in relation to body size
    Ive yet to see a full figure front ortho, but it feels like her head could be big. 7 and a half heads tall might be an average woman, so look into that.

Face:
    Although its very cute, theres a certain 'chubbiness' to the face that doesnt fit with the very bony nature to the rest of the model so it might come across as teen puppy fat. Particularly around the mouth. And overall the 'convex' nature of her facial bonestructure makes her seem younger than she might be. Also check eyesize. If theyre big then thats a sure fire way of making her look young.

Hips:
    Without ruining the skinny feel, you could definitely go wider on the hips. Really skinny flat chested women still have hips wide enough to give birth.

These might help ( Not Safe For Work images )

http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=710

http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=713

http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=731

http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=674

Keep at it man, youve the makings of a fantastic piece of work here.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Daz , thats really helps alot, i definately think the head size may be the leading issue, also the size of the hips too posibly...

the face is sorta based on somone i know , but yeah , the area where the cheeks meet the mouth is probly a problem area...

thanks for taking the time to help me out ... illl keep at it , as it is , im quite pleased with the face , and the body .. which is i supose why it hurts when non constructive comments are made. ill post when ive finnished remaking the rig smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    According to the proportion sheets we were handed in art class, 6-6.5 heads is actually realistic. Somehow I can't believe that as 7-7.5 always looked more realistic despite being labeled "idealized". Maybe game art distorts our perception?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmm, Id beg to differ with your tutor on that point. All of the women above are 7 heads tall and over If you measure them. A 6 head tall person is of course possible, but rare I would think. Notice that the one above with the lowest number of heads tall ( http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=731 ) is the one that looks most childlike proportionally.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just measured and she is just a tiny bit off 7 heads

last time i did some solid life drawing my lecturer told me 7 heads is the norm, allthough my anatomy book says clearly 8 heads is the norm ... very good book other than that.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The larger the head compared to the body the younger the person is.
    8 heads tall is the artistic ideal and its been for a long time and when humans get smarter and smarter their heads get bigger.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's the head size as much as the narrowness of the hips, and the babyfat around the cheeks, as Daz says. I've dated short women, and how one judges the ages is often the prominence of the cheek bones, and the width of the hips, rather than tallness or head size ratio. Hairstyle also figures in a little.

Don't get me wrong, I think your anatomy is really well executed on this. Sorry if I made offense though in the earlier post.

The other thing that Iam noticing about the rig you have posted to the top, isthe more complex the rig, the more it resemples the articulation on those high end 12inch poseable action figures. So there's another reason to buy that 18 inch tall poseable Spiderman, to get rigging ideas, and be ahead of the curve. :-)

Scott
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    her breasts seem rather pointy, even if it were cold in that room, they wouldn't be sharp, they;d be like the ears on this thing : tn-obie.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok , im still working on this ... i really need some thoughts on what im thinking about ... a few days agao , probly more like a week or 2, i came up with what i thought was a great idea, basicly using curves as a aid to the deformation of muscles ... especially where alot of skin stretching occurs,(the ass).
    so i did somthing like this ... the CVs of curves are attached to the bones around by parenting transform constraint clusters. heres a really good drawing.

dia1.jpg

and it seemed to work ok , apart from i couldnt attach the curves to the skin cluster. this is probly to do with no knowing too much about how this stuff works , and i thought that maybe it wasnt worth it anyway , as the binding method i was using was cuasing all sorts of havok. anyway , i saw a thing about somthing called muscle TK (i think) whick uses some fancy all singing system , but when i watched a video of a guy demoing there muscle tech , it was virtually the same idea as what im using.

wot i want to know now is , can this be done ? and is it all worth it ? im really sorry for my lack of communication skills here. (and spelling)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, think simple. If you have the ability within your project to do so, I would probably suggest morph targets for the ass and thighs bound to driven keys on certain channels within te rotation of the hip joint. Much simpler, You want to try to keep the machine from chugging if you have one, or more than one model. You will have to use trial and error to get a good shape when the leg rotates, but it should not be too much of a problem, since uou can assign the same Mprph target name over and over.

How are you doing Facial animation? the same way?

Scott
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive never used morph targets, mainly coz of it seeming a long winded way of doing it ... but also coz i have no idea how to . its making 2 models and morphing them yes? , so in this case i would make 2 morph targets for the leg/hip muscles , and set them as influences??

the face stuff is done with bones too ... mostly just useing stretching of bones to simulate muscle .... since i started binding to closest distance rather than closest join its fixed all the hirachal skinning problems i have ... it seems the closest joint works on the hirachy , so it gets it wrong alot ... hmm , maybe somone could talk to me about this on msn or somthing , coz i dont know anyone at all who is into or knowlegable about 3d , so this forum is my life line , although having a conversation is slow :S
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belive it or not im still working on this , does anyone have a good tutorial on the principal and reasons for blend shapes , and the way to set them up and use them .. i find alot of threads at places like cg talk but no real help on how to do them, where to do them, and what to do them with ....

as for the model .. ive come upon a revelation as to why my shoulders were being so hard to deform , i think they were rotated forward too much in a un natural pose on the model, so im looking atr fixing this , i havnt tested it yet tho ...
    is there a reason why we all keep the T pose? i can tthink of several areas where a slight bend on joints would really help deformation later ... like on the hip joint.

im also redoing the face to a major degree, some big changes , i just hope i can get it looking nice ....

and im generally tidying up edges and stuff , all though im still not convinced that a tri here and there is a bad thing ...