Home General Discussion

This game WILL rock.

Replies

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I personally believe the key to a good game is making sure first and foremost your artist is happy. If they are happy, they make good art.

That would be true... if artists made games..

As funka said, design doc, then programmers

Don't forget, its the programmers who gives artists extra capabilities, ala normal maps
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    The key to making great games is to make them fun. There is no 'key' to making things fun. There are at least half a dozen proven pipelines and processes out there that are 'vastly' different from one another. For instance, Valve made HL2 with a process they call The Cabal, but Blizzard doesn't use Cabal but they make hugely successfull games. That's just 2.

Tubboy, you really don't know what you're talking about. You're just aggrivating people on purpose I think. Pretty juvenille.

-R
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh Jes, i think most people i know agree HL2 does live up to all the hype, i agree also, frakin amazing game

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see anything in it that's totally revolutionary, nor anything that blows everything else away that I've seen so many people talking about.
    especially the AI, it dissapoints me, as it's not even near as intelligent as oh-so-many people say...

But then again, HL1's AI was also revolutionary, and still is, to many fanboys... icon15.gif
    Oh, and the buggy's vehicle-code is craptastic.

The grav-gun's pretty cool though... Especially since Havok's a good physics engine. smile.gif
    Valve also did a good job at implementing it, even though they "overdid" it a bit. wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pak:
    I am tired of seeing lens flares over done in games. Espeically in early screen shots when the game is trying to get some attention. It's like the Wilhelm Scream Once you know about it, you see it, you groan you move on. Or in my case you spend 30 min bitching about it in a forum.

MoJo:
    jack_blackSISCO is tubboy, I thought he left? I guess he did a good job of changing his tune from what I can tell, had me fooled. I guess I need to catch up on my PC-Gossip... or not.

Zeldrik:
    Glad to hear there wasn't as much photochoppery going on as I suspected. Not like it hasn't been done to just about every other game that has been pimped off before this one. I aplogize if my tone was harsh but the things I brought up would be things I say if I was working on the game. I read back over what I posted and I might have let too much of the A-Hole AD in me, out. To me its about the little things most people don't care about. When I am in a game I look around and check rooms for wall outlets, see if lights have switches, is there a security system in the building, where are the cameras and sensors? If its a cargo loading area does the crane system look like it could actually move cargo, or is it just eye candy? Call it a sickness, but it has yet to ruin a game for me. So even a picky A-Hole like me can get over the little things if they are missing. Of course I only care about those things (on my projects) when everything is mostly pollished and looking good. Your game is still pretty young and looks pretty good but needs some detail lovin, and a few tweaks =)

Good luck to you guys, you have some tough shoes to fill. Woo'ing people to play any game after HL2 is going to be hard, top it off you have the hard duty of pleasing some pretty picky fans, hope it all works out for ya.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look that special to me. Although I sure hope they pull it off right, because they show is awesome. I see HUGE potential for this game to be open-ended, but I doubt that will be the case.
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know. I think that the fact that a game is being made for such a successful show as this is cool. The show has allotted of material that can make this game really great. As a multiplayer based setting and Especially Single player. It has even more potential to be super involving. I think though that most of your hard core fans will like it more though.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yes in theory that may be true, but the track record for games like this is much less than stellar, usualy its a lame game with a license thrown onto it. just to make a buck, because fans will buy it no matter what, true there has been a small amount of really good license games atarigame.jpg

now that was a classic! anyways i hope the best for this game but i will continue to be skeptical till i see it
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, like you said, untill we see.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this thread is still active? Amazing.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Well, this looks like a fanboy's wet dream come true:

Link

You can bid on Ebay to be digitized and put into the game. Hurry though, less than 4 days left. I think that clenches it, this will game will now officially ROCK and ROCK HARD!!!!!!

smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    It's being produced/published by JoWood.

It's a budget title. End of line.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I absolutely hate the TV show (it kicked FarScape off the air). But maybe the game will be okay. I own a really great game by JoWood though, Downsizer. It's called Desert Rats .vs. Afrika Corps. It's a WW2 strategy game, and it actually seems to have high production values. It's a great game as well.

Scott - I COMPLETELY agree. When working on Daredevil (which innevitably got CANNED), we had on average, 6-7 people pulling the design in differant directions. The design department would tell Encore and Marvel what they wanted, but they would veto it, and put in some of their own "wisdom" instead. Our original design doc was brilliant. Sad to say that only about 10% of it was actually used...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    JoWood isn't a budget publisher, at least not exclusively. They got stuff like Gothic 2, Cultures 2, SpellForce, Aquanox 2, the Nations, Industry Giant and the aforementioned Desert Rats vs. Afrika Korps on their list. While some of these aren't the greatest games available they're definitely not low budget productions. They have a HUGE list of crap games, okay, but I doubt that was their fault.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah both the TV show and movie were horrible.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    For values of horrible that equal nine seasons...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hopefully MacGyver will be in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the movie was substantially better than the show I'm kind of surprised no one has made this franchise into a 1st person shooter until now.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tubboy polycounter lvl 18
    FPS, RTS, RPG, dude, there are no limits to how far this could go.