Home General Discussion

Preparing for an interview.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I don't mean for just any job, I mean a gaming gig in particular. Any tips on preparing for an interview? I have one with Volition @ 2PM on Monday (the 15th). I've checked out the companies website for some info, downloaded some demo's so I could be reminded of their titles. I have a tendancy to speak fast so I'm practicing answering questions at a normal rate of talking.

Any other ideas? Some tips? The interview is over the phone.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Adam

Just speaking from what ive read as ive never had any interview myself yet,but generally relax and stay cool,also I think in a similar thread about this someone said it helps to be as honest as possible...like if they ask "so why do ya wnat to work for us?" give them a true answer like becuase "I want to make lots of money and cool games" ya know what i mean?

Anyway man good luck with that smile.gif

NOTE*:- Mods is there any chance of recovering the sticky threads that gave interview/portfolio advise and how to survive in the industry taht were at the old 3d/2d disscussion forums? they were pretty useful for guys like Adam and me to look at smile.gif

Thanks

john
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Doh. I accidentally deleted what I had typed, so let’s try this again.

Basically, be confident and smile. Even over the phone, it is easy to notice when someone is smiling and generally happy/excited when they are talking to you. And be confident in yourself. Obviously, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance, and it is very important to stay away from sounding arrogant, but having an air of confidence will make you look and sound that much better in the eyes of the person conducting the interview.

Best of luck with the interview, keep us posted!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Do a heap of research on the company, their games and anything else relevant you can before hand. Write it on a piece of paper and keep reading over it while you're inevitably waiting for your interview. Take special nots of things like engine names and other obscure bits of trivia that make it sound like you've done your home work and are really interested in the company.

Its also worth finding the old "how to get into and survive in the games industry" document that was put together on polycount a couple of years back. That'll answer everything you could possibly want to know regarding your interview and a whoel lot more. I'm sure someone will have the link.

EDIT:Oh look, here it is - http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/docrob/Industry.html
    Mad respects to the people who helped put this thing together. I don't think I would have gotten my job without it.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    I think passion for games will also take you far in an interview - not necessarily the employer's games either. In interviews whenever I start talking about how much I loved ultima V on the apple IIe, without fail (unless they're really really young) the interviewer starts nodding, agreeing, remembering how great it was... can't go wrong wink.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    A big reason for interviewing people is just to see if the employer will be able to get along with the interviewee. Show them your stuff, but try to actually carry on a conversation with the employer. Be professional, but let your personality shine through. Try not to be too stiff, and just remember that you're just getting a chance to chat about games and art. They probably like chatting about that kind of stuff as much as you do, so just relax.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I loved ultima V on the apple IIe, without fail (unless they're really really young) the interviewer starts nodding, agreeing, remembering how great it was... can't go wrong wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, how about Ultima III on the Commodore 64? Sorry, I couldn't resist. See, it works! smile.gif