Home General Discussion

EA employee's spouse comments on crunch

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HellMark polycounter lvl 18
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/

I know similar topics have been covered here but was curious to hear more insight on the subject from everyone here. At my last studio we had crunch for a year and was told it was mandatory and if you're not here you're fired essentially. The game shipped (barely) but in the process I went through a bad breakup with my fiance and was laid off with a majority of our staff right after launch. It's been several months and I'm still feeling the backlash from those events from getting into a deeper financial hole and still looking for employment not to mention the world changing events inflicted on someone you spent years with.

Ultimately I think there is a balance to be found. With the passion and enjoyment that comes from working in games it's hard to draw a line and say my day ends here. It's going to spill over in some areas. I knew the risks involved and would take them again. But it's unfortunate to see the damage that can be taken.

Replies

• NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I know the EA employees went thru a 12 hour a day 7 days a week crunch as of Sept 20th till release of Lord of the Rings.....which people don't talk about...Soul?

I had inside info at a GNomon class I attended.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    "EA's bright and shiny new corporate trademark is "Challenge Everything." Where this applies is not exactly clear. Churning out one licensed football game after another doesn't sound like challenging much of anything to me; it sounds like a money farm."

That has to be the most truthfull statement about EA I've ever heard. I've hated that company for years. Not because of this, I had no idea the working conditions were like that. I hated them because they just come out with the un-inspired festering piles of shit every year.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    During these crunch times, those employees seem to fall of the face of the earth. That's not a career I'm looking for. No one should go through that much trouble just to make a game. It's just a game!
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    This is getting just stupid now. If they give you a piece of the profit fine. But no profit sharing, work yourself sick, only to be booted out after release? No wonder they don't want anyone over 30. Anyone that old would say..."Ok, so this game grossed 20 million?(Halo2 did 200M just yesterday) and I get 27k AND you shitcan me?" "Where is that baseball bat?" Has the gaming industry become an exploiter of youth?
    In any business the largest cost is salary. Why hire double the artists when you can just make the ones you have work twice as hard? As businesses get larger the tend to get less human. When the corporation cares more for the stockholders than their employees that when the exploitation starts.

HellMark- "...if you're not here you're fired essentially"
    Did you get overtime? 12*7-40= 44h!
    Couldn't you sue them for false dismissal?

Here's a thought- Unionize
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I did hours like this at the start of my career on Driver PSX/PC. It's never worth it, there's no reward big enough to cover me for the lose of my life and generally there is no reward anyway, unless you count watching the boss drive to the office in a new porsche or ferrari a reward.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Daz
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, these are the same tactics the Animation Industry use to use in Hollywood. Since alot of the EA studios are in California, I'd imagine the same a'hole executives that use to manage artists that did cartoons probably are managing 3D Artists too.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    eepberries: careful what you say there buddy. Whatever your dislike of the corporate monster that is EA, at least 4 or 5 or more folks on these boards worked on those 'festering piles of shit' that you speak of.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I'm not criticizing the artists and programmers of the game. They're most likely the pawns of the operation (that's just my guess though, of course). The overall execution of the game will be good. The graphics will look good, and the presentation will be good. The problem is that the actual game itself will probably suck and be nothing more than the same thing the company sold last year with one or two added "OMG FEATURES!!1"
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im proud of some of the EA games Ive worked on as a gameplay experience ( Everything Or Nothing recieved critical acclaim for the most part. And no, it wasnt a re-hash of anything else we'd done the year before ).

This thread was about EAs working hours practises, not the quality of their games.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Isn’t there a union or something for artist over there? If not, there should be one. It should be illegal to force your employees to work that much.

This is a really unhealthy culture for the whole industry and It always pisses me off to hear about stuff like this.

I’m not going to buy anymore EA games from now on.
    Except Sims 2, just so I can get some time alone at the couth with a beer. :P

/Palm
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Personally the trend worries me, especially as i have 3 kids to look after and have seen or been involved in too many casualties allready. I Can only wish us all the best of luck, especially those at the sharp end. Something must change for the better soon, if there is anything that i personally can so i will. I hope that the same is true of all involved...

tpe
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm, don't need nearly as many antacids now that I'm back in academia!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Well, as an interesting hypothetical to think about;

I've noticed that some people in the industry are a bit prone to depression and emotional disorders. (as are some people on this board) What happens when a few of their own employees start whacking themselves, or one gets really pissed off and takes a gun to work? Or perhaps a few die from stress-related disease? I'll tell you what.

Multi-Million dollar lawsuits. Bilion-Dollar Class-Action lawsuits. Stock value goes down the toilet.

You can only push people so hard before they can't take it anymore. In these situations, most people will just quit. But some people will die from it. And employers that helped to cause this type of situation will pay for it dearly. It'll be a terrible lesson to learn, but I think that this is inevitable if some companies don't change their ways.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "Multi-Million dollar lawsuits. Bilion-Dollar Class-Action lawsuits."

"And employers that helped to cause this type of situation will pay for it dearly"

You'd think that might be the case, but thanks to Bush and his cronies and the passing of prop 64, class action lawsuits will probably become a thing of the past. I dont think the big corporations have anything to worry about. They have the govmnt. on their side, unlike the workers.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett we never got overtime. It was a start up studio so things were tight enough. As I said we crunched for a year straight and pulled 7 days/week for the most part of that with a few weeks of 6 days/week peppered in there. We had about a 90% staff reduction from layoffs after launch.

As for suing I heard some people were considering it but most of us just wanted to move on and find something better for ourselves and learn from the experience. Besides the studio had no money to give and filed Chapter 11 recently.

I'm hoping a good change can come from all this. I don't have much stake right now since I'm not working but I'd definitely be willing to do what I can to help make it better. Word of mouth I think can help but isn't the end all for an answer. Everyone here has been pretty discreet and honest (one of the things I like about coming here)about some of the bad experiences at certain studios. What they said has made me gun shy of some studios for sure. I wonder if that type of information affects the type of talent a studio can get and/or keep the talent they have long term.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    They know you are working this type of job because it is what you enjoy doing and it is what you want to do.

They are taking advantage of that. They also know that lots of never-had-this-kinda-job are waiting for yours to open up so if you don't like it you can be replaced.

You don't need a union. You need to change the mindset of the people on this message board who have yet to get a job.

I've worked less hours at my job when helicopters are grounded in Iraq and are needing parts we are supplying!

Sheesh!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    It's like any other type buisness . If EA starts losing top talent because of the way they run there buisness they will change . It seems odd to me though that if it is so bad there why so many film people have started to flock there . I guess doing 70-80 hr weeks for a steady,good paying,somewhat reliable employer is better then working 70-80 hr weeks in film only to get laid off and have to move ever few months . I guess as the old saying goes " could be worse "

Though I agree that if they spend so much time on there games they should be on par with what Blizzard is doing or another top studio . I think only Madden Football has that kind of respect ?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Duke is absolutely right, except I will argue the whole "you don't need a union" part. Unions have been demonized in the latter part of the 20th century. A few of us together united will not make a change. There are too many people so willing and anxious to get into the industry that they will work for nothing and tolerate the abuse. A few of us united together will not make a change. There are less than 1% of us that are too "elite" to be replaced. For the rest of us, there are plenty of young, anxious kids ready to replace us. We need to unite and unionize to make change. Together we can make a stand, divided we will all fall.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look for the union label when you are buying that coat, dress or blouse.
    Remember somewhere our union's sewing, our wages going to feed the kids, and run the house.
    We work hard, but who's complaining? Thanks to the I.L.G. we're paying our way!
    So always look for the union label, it says we're able to make it in the U.S.A.!

heh heh

I think Unions can be good. They were good for the auto industry in the early part of the 20th century now they are useless as far as the auto industry goes. In the auto industry, now the Unions are the bad guys. UPS workers went on strike to allow the Teamsters (mafia) to run their Union. (What a bunch of idiots UPS employees are! Sincerely they deserve all they get now) Unions are good in my opinion when there is some diservice being done. After a while they outlive their usefullness and just become a drain.

I'm not for Unions at all, but you game employees need to get something together wether it be a Union or just a bit of unity. 12 hour days 7 days a weeks is bullshit. I can see maybe one or two weeks of it, but you guys do put up with way to much crap!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    It’s sad to see that the unions work so poorly in the states. You US peoples seems to hate unions, so something must have gone terrible wrong down the road somewhere. In the end, you end up paying for it when you are forced to work every weekend while your boss are playing golf or picking up chicks in his new Dodge Viper.

Or get a heart attack by the age of 35, not knowing where you kids go to school, etc etc etc..:P

smile.gif
    /Palm
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You need to change the mindset of the people on this message board who have yet to get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced. There are just too many responsibilities in my real life that would prevent me from taking that sort of abuse. From my past experiences with part-time jobs, I try to do the best I can, to the point that the company realizes I'm a valuable worker. I'm needed. Then, they'll work along with my needs, or they'll lose me.

It seems in order to succeed in the game industry, you need to be along that level. Having the talent and respect that allows you to stand up for yourself, so the company respects your needs for fear of losing you.

Many of the "kids" looking for their dream job in games, have just enough ability to be hired. Expendable youth. Too bad the quality shows in the product. Similar to how the ability to count will get you a job flipping burgers, while knowledge and skill will land a stable job as gourmet chef.

I'll wait a few more years.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I think the problem isn't truly the love what we do attitude making us do the long hours, I think it's the fact that when we get our first jobs everyone else is working those hours and we figure if we don't then we will get fired.

Most of us refuse after a few years to do too much crunch but the flipside of that is because companies like EA already control most of those companies where people are perhaps standing up for their rights, not putting in those hours causes the companies game to bomb or get canned and then the company gets canned.

It's all well and good saying we should stand together, but in this day and age you can't get 6 people to agree on the color of shite let alone a few thousand to agree on certain equitable and humanitarian work attitudes that suit all!!

As Daz mentioned, the idealist attitude that when serious crackups occur they will lead to government stepping in is just pure fantasy. It's not like the games industry is the only one being utterly screwed by the degree to which capitalism is being twisted.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Some good input on unions.

Dukester - for someone who is not for unions your shure know that song very well. ya commie smile.gif

Suing can be a problem too, if the word gets out that you sued your last employer. It could be tough to get new job.

If the co. that work for is young and hurting try this approch -"I will work 12 hours a day in exchange for stock." If they say bugger you then you know what kind of people you are dealing with. and where you stand in their eyes. If the are true entertainment purists they should let nothing stand in the way of the completion of their project.

I think the key is profit sharing. A worker who gets a piece of it will work harder. Use unions as a threat.

If these don't work, when upper management leaves at 5 -loot the fucken' place! Not even a doorknob.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Was it relic? Good comment they gave to the entry level people willing to work for free or very little.

"We Hire people based on how much they are worth financially. So your saying you are worth very little then?"

Nice gleam of hope in a sea of assholes.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    heh, maybe everyone should start pasting the link/contents of the link to every gaming messageboard, game news site, game related web comic, irc channel and every where gamers generally hang around. get it in front of a lot of these young kids who are being exploited for their youth/desire to get in the industry. get the entire game community talking about it. make the entirty of the community aware of these type of situations. get the gaming public complaining to the companies. etc.. etc..

absolutely NO ONE should have to go through that ever.

anyway, just a thought wink.gif
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    "They know you are working this type of job because it is what you enjoy doing and it is what you want to do.

They are taking advantage of that. They also know that lots of never-had-this-kinda-job are waiting for yours to open up so if you don't like it you can be replaced.

You don't need a union. You need to change the mindset of the people on this message board who have yet to get a job."

As long as people want to do this for a livning no matter the cost, then dont expect anything to change.

10 years ago I would've given my left nut to be in this industry. I thought the same about animation, until I was in it. fuck 60-80 hour work weeks, especially with the promise of being laid off when the project is over.
    The hard part is....If you are not willing to work the hours they deem necessary, then remember someone else is.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I think none of us mind a few weeks of late nights here or there, and a few weekends, but when it does get to 12 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end its just taking the piss.

Now I see the problem that some in upper management who arent aware that so many people are working those insane house, but they do see

X people + Y time = Z amount of work

They dont realise that Y time is double what people should be working, they just see the outcome. The next project is then sceduled with this imaginary level of productivity in mind.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that would be helpfull would be to get some of the results of how productivity and working hours are related. It is difficult to find research on as most of the research money has been invested by the employer on how best to measure the number of hours actually worked to avoid cheating rather than how it affects productivity, but those that have a productivity measure inculuded have shown that productivity can 1, can be improved by reducing the hours that workers with a long hours work and 2, that there is a point where productivity actually decreases with increases in hours worked. i,e a person that works a long week actually produces less (through accidents, fatigue, unnecessary repetition, inefficiency or producing the wrong work) than someone with a shorter week. Unfortuanately most productivity management agencies charge for the info and usually wont provide anything unless they have a contract with the company in question. The gaming industry is still very young and hasnt started this type of thing much yet, i have had more experience with the pharmaceutical industry where it is common practice, but that may also be because the initial investments are larger so it is something that is more likly to be included in their portfolio when going to the bank. Perhaps you can find some data (I can try and find some from my old companies if you like) or sugest to the management that they approach one of the agencies?

tpe
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like this is making the rounds in a few places. I initially saw this on evilavatar. GeorgeB at 3DRealms posted the info up on shacknews in their forums. He also mentions them working about 50 hours a week 5 days a week. With all that has been going on with DNF and so much riding on it I was surprised to hear it. Here's the post:

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8965013

A lot of feedback posts from it as well.

As Rick said there will always be the occasional late nights and/or weekends, something I expect and have no issues with.

Perhaps one big action might help start a change. Someone or some group with enough power that can inflict change maybe. With EA being so high profile it could garner enough attention to give a much needed wake up call.

Edit: Looks like CGTalk is talking about this as well. I know a lot of people here hit those boards but just in case.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=185703
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, I feel sorry for the spouce frown.gif
    I know my wife would go nuts if I would work that much.
    But then again I would too. There isn't a job in the world that I would like to spend that much time on.
    Making game art is great fun but I can imagine that the fun is gone pretty fast if you are forced to make it more than 60 hours per week.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Daz
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, is your healthy attitude where you stand up to certain deadlines they ask you to make one that more people can pull off? If for instance a junior modeller would do the same would that be accepted or would he get fired?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Im not doing it just for me, Im doing it for the rest of my team. I work alongside an Art manager now for scheduling. If she says 'how long does X need to make X?' then I'll think of the reality, flesh it out a bit, then flesh it out some more. Like I said, it's working for now. Lets see how it pans out when we push further into the schedule!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    At a previous studio when we were asked to schedule, we'd add on a few extra days. Then the lead artists would add on a few extra days. Then management would say "too much time!".

They'd shave a few days off each schedule and leave us back with the schedule we wanted. We thought we were clever, until we realised that we had to LIE because we knew that further up the chain they'd be squeezing us.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if it would be more effective and be more of a dramatic realization if an issue as alraming as this were distributed more readily to the masses.

the only thing i can thing of that can have a dramtic impact on a large scale would be to make a documentary similar to SUPER SIZE ME.

visuals are one of the most effective means of communication. word of mouth is not enough and unionisation or lawsuits are too time consuming and dont guarantee success. who knows? if more people knew what the little guys and underdogs do to their health and livelihoods just to make games and it became apparent not to just the people that work in the industry or aspire to be in it, then the greater a chance there is for change can be made.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    have you guys seen this? just another persons perspective after they worked at Ea.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Relationships, and jobs, are all about being able to live with the faults. For some, the long hours are not enough to drive them away from the job they love. For others, the long hours are unnacceptable. For me, crunch is a temporary burst of extra productivity. I just experienced one of these. One weekend, a few long nights the weeks before, and then it was over. I was more productive for those few days, and it was short enough that it did not really wear on me. I have however been in an extended crunch, several months of mandatory long days, with most weekends included. For me that was an unnacceptable crunch, and I left the company. I knew I could find employment elsewhere, and I did not want to ruin my life by working long hours for months on end.
    I think people need to stop waiting for a union or a class action lawsuit. Do not wait for someone else to do the legwork for you. If you work at a company that demand long hours and you do not want to, refuse, even if it costs you your job. You probably did not want to work their anyway. Like Daz has said, the power to work acceptable hours is your own.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    cochtl: I wouldn't worry about this story not reaching the masses. It's all over the internet now. Slashdot, Shacknews, Bluesnews, cgtalk, IGDA.....
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    hahah I work for a studio that claims a "9 hour work day"
    they asked me if I was o.k with that at my interveiw and of course I said yes, but in the back of my mind I catogorized it into the same place where "giving 120%" lives. If anyone asks I do it. But no one really does.
  • HellMark
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This thing gets bigger by the second. The internet is an amazing thing.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good!

Nothing like bad publicity to shake up the food chain.
    I hope there's some major 'executive' firings.......of excutives.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well we had that at 3do, even right up towards "The End". Mentally I am toast after hour 9, so I wiould sit and surf and order dinner on the company ticket. I had no relationships and no pets (at the time to go home and feed) so things were stable. if you went home early, it was like you "weren't putting in a team effort", but the artist all stopped working at a certain point, but they could not play games, because apparently it wasn't fair for the designers and programmers that were actually doing work after hours.

As to unionizing. It probaby won't happen. The Animator's Union lost some key negotiations when the studios found out they could ship the animation to Korea and Japan. (Thundercats' anyone?) the Labor costs moved the output of al the studios but the big three (Dreamworks, Disney, and Warner Feature) offshore. now with Disney spiking their 32D studio and format. All animation is gone, and the animators guild has a lot of unemployed members. The cost of the wages was too high. I for one will not give any money to an organization that contributes to the political opposition.

The other problems with unions in the states, is that they are really infiltrated by Organized Crime. And upon joining a union, you give up some rights, for the "power" of collective bargaining. Unions work well for "essential" industry such as food production, power generation, construction and The like, where they don't do wel are on less essential industries such as Entertainment, and retail industries.

Scott
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I had a similar experience at a smaller company, and know peopel at EALA that are working insane hours as I type this. I agree it's a problem, but I don't have any solutions other than those presented here already. Standing up for yourself is probably the best bet.

I also think that more people working in the industry should be more vocal about the working conditions at specific companies. If a company gets a reputation as being a "sweatshop", especially at the school level before kids get this starry-eyed impression of what it's like to work on games, then maybe they'll have a harder time reqruiting and change they're practices. The only thing that will make a company change is if there are negetive consequences for their actions, and right now there aren't any.

Putting my money where my mouth is, the company I worked for that worked us to death and then rewarded all the hard workers by firing them when the project was over was Black Ops in Santa Monica, California. If they're even still making games, stay away unless you're just starting out and need some game experience.

A company that I had a really good experience with was Treyarch, again in Santa Monica. We did work some long hours that I feel could have been avoided with better management, but overall it was bearable and I think it's a good company to be a part of.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dukester - for someone who is not for unions your shure know that song very well. ya commie smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I do like the tune! I've been stuck on it for 3 days now!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for laying that out, Scott.

I think that the only solution is to show the executives that their bottom line will be improved by treating their people better.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah its official now. I saw it on Gamespot a minute ago.

It was filed by an artist at EARS ( incidentally, the statement that he was a member of the Sims2 design team is incorrect ) . I know I said earlier that i didnt think class action lawsuits would save us, because many of us are wary of what this means. It's all a bit uncertain right now. Its been underway for a good long while now and will most likely take years for much of anything to come of it. The ramifications are considerable ( and not all of them necessarily favourable by any means ). Legally Im probably not meant to speak as Im an employee and technically represented by the class action so I'll stfu ( and most likely end up deleting everything Ive written in this thread a bit later ;-p )
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I wanna thank each of you for the valuable information displayed in this thread. If all that im reading is true and i assume it is true, you can bet that i wont be buying EA titles for a at least 30 years, [sarcasm] bad publicity like that can be really good for sale [/sarcasm]

Imagine an hot patato like that just before christmas pig billionaire money making machine season.