Home Technical Talk

y are the thigh bone positions changing from max?

Kent
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kent polycounter lvl 18
I riged my ut03 model in max5 to the standard mercmaleB_rig skeleton provided by epic. and I got it moving great in Max. After I apply the mesh properties from the standard HumanMale to my model in unreal ed3 the thigh bones where lifted higher inside the hip bone than they are in 3dsmax 5. This causes the feet to be lifted off the ground a bit, and pinches the hip geometry. Ive been lookin everywhere for a fix with no luck. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix? I then imported the epics ut03 character mercmaleb_rig.max into unreal ed and it had the same problem as my model did.

Replies

• -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    If you are scaling the biped it will push the mesh along the same lines, Try editing the mesh to fit the biped not the biped to the mesh and you should be fine.
  • Kent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kent polycounter lvl 18
    I didnt edit the biped at all. I built the mesh inside the biped. I then imported the epics ut03 character mercmaleb_rig.max into unreal ed and it had the same problem as my model did.
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.neomagination.com/unreal/tutorials/max2ut_01.html
    This is where I got most of my importing info when I started out, read through it and see if your missing something. If not just redo "everything". Sounds strange but a fresh start and sometimes things work them selves out. You may also want to reDL the epic rigs, possibly a file is corrupt or somewhere along the lines you changed the bipeds hiearchy without noticing. Seems to me if only the hips or off then they are linked incorrectly... You may want to check what pose your in if your using CS...
  • Kent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kent polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the tut, yea, i used that one and others to import my model. So i decided to import MercMaleA_rig.max into unreal ed to test that one, even tho its skeleton looks exactly the same in max as the MercMaleB_rig.max. I discovered the 2 skeletons look different in the hips once imported into UnrealEd. and MercMaleA_rig.max model works perfect in UnrealEd while MercMaleB_rig.max has the thigh hip problem. ofcourse this is the skeleton I chose to atach my model to. So unless i can figure out how to make B_rig like A_rig Ill have to re attach my model to A_rig wich sux... doh. if i just woulda chose A_rig in the beginning.
  • Kent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kent polycounter lvl 18
    i figured it out =) the A_rigs thigh bones parent was the pelvis bone, while for some reason the B_rigs thigh bones parent was the lower spine bone. this made the thigh bones move up to the lower spine past the pelvic bone when ut's animations where aplied. So after figuring out how to change parent child relations in Max the problem was fixed in 4 clicks. Dang, Everyone Watch Out for B_rig . just use A_rig cuz B is parented correct.. hope this helps someone else