Home General Discussion

What do you want to see?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
OK, so this is going to be the thread where we take suggestions on how we want these new boards to look. If you have any suggestions, anything you have seen done on other boards that you want done here, etc this will be the place for it.

I won't say we will use all or any suggestions, but they do help when plotting things out. Some things we are already thinking about doing includes getting some new smilies, shifting things around a bit, looks like r13 and Vito got the colors fixed last night or this morning.

If you don't want to post them here, you can hit me up with an email as well.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    - Better dividers between posts. Either the alternating colors of the old board or a colored headline or something.
    - Lower treshold for "hot topics". A hot topic should only be a topic that is considered "hot" by the stnadards of the board, currently 90% of the threads are "hot".
    - "Devisiting" threads with new posts. You know, the old boards didn't use a cookie but altrered the address enough so your browser would no longer consider the link visited.
    - Adding the option to disable the automatic scroll to first unread post. That's annoying, especially since the system and I tend to disagree on the subject of which post was the last unread.
    - My old post count tongue.gif.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Something like this board -

http://www.altbristol.org.uk/portal.php

Not colour wise, but it does do some nice things. I think the best feature is giving points to posts in certain forums, which can be exchanged for forum name effects.

It is something which the guys that run it have written, I think, so may be impossible to implement here.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    someone mentioned in asherr's poll thread about adding some more space between the tables to divide things up a little more. looking at an old archived thread i have, the old boards didnt have that extra space. BUT! they do have the alternating colors for the posts. right now we have green for the avatar area and blue for the post. the old ones were green all the way across and the next post blue all the way across. i think setting it back to that will help with those complaints.

also mentioned was making posts with new replies default back to unread.

otherwise some new buttons and stuff will help make it feel like home again wink.gif

oh and can you turn off the 'jump to last post' thing when clicking on a thread? that's a bit annoying when its a new thread with 7 responses and it takes you to the last post when it's your first time viewing...

*edit
    i see i was beaten to the punch tongue.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, the dividers between posts, I already noticed this morning . Totally agree, it is hard to read.

The scrolling to the latest post, I am trying to find out where to turn that off currently. Bloody annoying....

I thought I tweaked the Hot Topic thing to stop that last night, guess I will have to look at it again.

keep em coming! =]
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and while im thinking of it...

the font size for the secondary and tertiary text elements could be taken down a couple of sizes. right now everything is the same size and i think is contributing to that 'crammed together' feel people seem to have. that is to say, there is currently no visual hierarchy for text. if the main text is 12pt then i would got 10pt and 8pt for the secondary and tertiary, respectivly.

ugh.. im starting to use my graphic design vocabulary.. it is time for snemmy to sleep...
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the better dividers between posts.
    For some reason I think that the screen looks cluttered even though there are not too many options and things.

I would lose the "Post extras" options below every post.
    I don't see the need for these options.

What I think would be very nice is to disable the signature option or restrict it to text (with links etc.) only with a maximum of 2 lines.

To spice up the looks maybe you can hold a competition for new forum graphics like a banner and all the options like reply, quote, quick reply, previous, next etc.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i LOVE the quick reply bar, but i would like to see a Directory tree at the bottom, so after i post and it relaodas i don't have to scroll up to go back to the parent forum,
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you could be radical and choose a brand new colour scheme. Something less dark and oppressive smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a new version of the main page is already in the works. shhhh, silly Norway-type person.

A contest for board graphics is soon to come.

Your state of knowingness has been raised 2 full levels!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I thought there was a re-design going on behind the scenes anyway. I know something was mentioned when I did a CSS, tableless version of the site two years ago...
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    narrower columns, we're barely using half of whats there with the user column, same for the last post column
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    might one ask nicely for custom ranks, or at least custom ranks being an option at a certain post-count. (i fully expect to get flames for that)

remove post extras like someone said.

turn off the damn preview of posts thingy. PLEASE!!

ikraan: signatures are already restricted to text only, and 150 characters.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    A nice button to the forums at the top of polycount.com
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sundance: I am figuring out how to do the rank thing, there has to be a way to let you guys do it. The preview posts you can turn off in your personal options, I don't want to turn it off globally.

Marine: ah yes, I see what you mean, that is pretty wasteful. We'll see what we can do about that.

hahaha Shampoobanana IL...HAHAHAHA.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    swampbug: i'm happy to replace the button i put up there already, a month or two ago. would you like to do a new one for me? laugh.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kub, missed that when i was fiddling with my settings this morning, i was too busy trying to get my sig to work and set the time properly...
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and I have GOT to turn off that defaulting to the last post. That is driving me NUTS.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i also vote for killing the animated avatars, we were fine without them, and while they can be used tastefully, they won't be and the forums will end up looking like a flashing epilepsy causing nightmare
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I second what Mojo said. "Tasteful" ones are fine but I have a feeling for the most part that we will end up with a bunch of flashing distracting ones.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not a fan of ranked threads. It creates competition within the boards. One thing I always liked about polycount was the level friendly playing field.

- BoBo
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobo: oh ffs, I didn't even notice that til now. =P That will be turned off. Thanks. =]

As for the animated avatar...

There have been people that have wanted them for a looong time now (hell if I know why...) so, since you can now host and update them on your own and the size limit is set to 80x80, I am going to let them go until I get some "official" rules written up. Trust me, I can't stand animated avatars, but I am doing my damnedest to please as many people as possible.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Is it possible to import the old emoticons (except that bear type one wink.gif) that soern did all those years ago? Nice to see those good ol fashioned PC colours back, changing the 'jump too' roll down so as it goes to the link as soon as a section is chosen as opposed to having to push the jump button even if you change the destination?

!A VERY BIG POLYCOUNT LOGO AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!

i miss it frown.gif

that thing of being able to see who is browsing at any time is kind of freaky, is it possible to send them an instant message type thing so as it pops up in their page login status bar that someone has sent them a personal message? not that i think it would be necessarily a great idea, but interesting to know how it would work.

Not having to add a subject line

not having to preview personal messages, add subject lines to them, basically more ability to not get the post right first time

Whatever only small suggestions as just been enjoying the being able to brows them again, thanks for the efffort all those that put it in.

Have to set my homepage to polycount.net soon smile.gif so i dont get that nasty 404 any more

tpe

Damn almost forgot jolene Blalocks inner thigh.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i am glad to hear that the ranked threads will leave, it does add an unnecessary and unhealthy dimension to message boards... but you knew that.

as far as the animated avatar issue, i'm okay with them in the case of, say, conor's, which is svelte and subdued. the obnoxious shit like ankalar's and especially anything like arshlevon's has to go immediately. dunno how this translates to policy, but what about saying that for you to have an animated avatar it must be wholly your own artwork? anything to get rid of the 'funnay image from teh intarweb' tendency. just a thought.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the other animated icons that should be allowed are AIM type icons from movie sites, cos sometimes i do like to use them...:)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Ability to view the boards in either 1st or 3rd person.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that bothers me is when a member will post a huge image and it screws up the entire thread's format by stretching the thread horizontally.

Some boards prevent this buy making a comment row that extend beyond the right margin, seperate from the other comments, making other comments on the same page, readable without having to use the horizontal scrollbar.

this issue maybe already be taken care of.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    id vote for getting rid of the titles on posts, i dont see a reason for them being there. Likewise with post #. sure its cool and all, but not necessary.

i like the abilityto control your avatar, that is definately goood. I mentioned this elsewhere, but what if there was a contest for default avatars? where everyone could submit n avatars, and out of all the submissions, 20 or so would be in as default/preset ones.

This 'quick reply' thing is fucking sweet!

//edit
    I just noticed the 'Thread Views' column. That should go, it seems like another useless thing.

Allowing the <font color="yellow">font color</font> <font color="blue">t</font><font color="green">o</font> <font color="orange">b</font> <font color="red">e</font> <font color="purple">c</font> <font color="#666666">h</font><font color="pink">a</font><font color="blue">n</font><font color="yellow">e</font><font color="black">d</font> through the edit/post menu is a little iffy... can you specify which colors people can and can't use?

Oh yeah, Frank The Avenger would like to be able to have spaces in his name, and be able to use is long ass name. Silly frank.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it possible to import the old emoticons (except that bear type one wink.gif) that soern did all those years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Done by our own sorely missed "SchwimmelPuckel" frown.gif

or are you talking about even older ones?
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    I want to see the ol' polycount love again.

Oh, an these smilies tim? poly142.gif

http://www.dtp2maz.dk/smilies/smilies.html
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    we can put them in if someone can forward a copy of them.
    or we can do it later, when the gamespy server opens up again, and they still exist.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    cool, you should start seeing them when you hit reply... i'm adding them in now.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    triple post bump!

i got all the post icons in... i believe, if i missed one poke me with a stick. i'll do some of the other ones slowly as that takes a bit more effort.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    sweet!

the instant "graemlins" things are still the old graphics
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Love that they're back - just gotta remove the ugly default ones (and would it be possible to replace that flame icon beside certain threads???)
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Hello all! Mostly same things others have pointed out, but my thoughts anyways:

Bad
    Lose the topic rating.
    Lose the topic views.
    Missing polycount emoticons frown.gif
    The message dividers suck pretty badly. Posts aren't easily visually distinguised, and it seems like they take up way too much space.
    Lose the "subject" for each post. LAME!
    I wish the quick reply text area was a few lines longer.
    The "Post Extras" section could be moved to the post header or something to save space, or removed altogether.
    Wide images still mess up the page and force you to scroll over to read the replys. I've seen it handled better on other boards before (just tha post is stretched I think).

Good
    Quick reply is rad.
    It seems a lot faster than before.
    Birthdays are kind of cool.
    Who's online is weird, but I like it!

Meh
    Avatars. Easy to set up, but could be lame if people use stupid ones.
    I might be nice to have a spell checker. Especially for lazy people. wink.gif

Oh man it's good to have the ol'd green station back, I was going through withdrawls!
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, i also love being able to view multiple page threads on one page!
  • Khas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khas polycounter lvl 18
    Change the default icon for posts to the polysmileicon60.gif or none at all.

Add in all of these icons: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=428&an=0&page=0#428

Add shortcuts for the polyblobs. And 'Instant Graemlins'.

Get rid of the yellow icons. They are evil.

Change my title to 'Strangest'.

Khas
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I want a few things, but I'll understand if I can't have them (I'll just rant about it):

Spaces in usernames! I've never seen a board that doesn't allow spaces. My spaces are a part of me. frown.gif

Similarly, the sixteen character limit for display names makes me sad. frown.gif

But I'm glad we have boards again. smile.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The thresh-hold of how many posts made on a page before it creates a new one be nice if it were back to 50 - rather than 10.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I think you can change that in your profile, Adam.

Frank the Avenger
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm 100% with Whargoul.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    "I'm 100% with Whargoul."

me too.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    there is a lot of stuff that shouldnt be visible.
    i'm not really interested in my forum permissions for example. the whole "extra information" box isnt really neccessary imo

the old smilies and icons would be cool.

generally just keep it CLEAN and SIMPLE. everything thats obsolete should be invisible
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Whargoul: The text field size in your personal preferences resizes the quick reply box, too.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    The whole header in each post seems pretty useless like other have said. The date and time is nice, and quote is helpful at times.

What's the point in having large reply and quickly reply buttons in each post? Having a single reply button at the top and bottom would help clean things up a bit. And with the reply page that opens up, it was really nice on the old board how it had a window were you could scroll through and see the entire thread that you're posting to, but right now if you hit reply it just shows the post you're replying to. The quick reply is nice as you can still see the whole thread, but it doesn't have all the options like the reply does, like the smilies for example.

Why is header sometimes blue and sometimes green? The blue is especially annoying since it doesn't help to separate the posts. Having the header alway being green or alternate the colors of the posts like the old board would help to separate the posts.

Turn on HTML. HTML is our friend. smile.gif

Is it just me or does this new board seem a lot more crammed? Maybe it's just overflowing with a lot of useless junk or unneeded info, but it definitly feels smaller and more cluttered.

It's great to see everyone again.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topic ratings and views are going. No need to worry about that. We are going to try and reformat the tables as well. The polycount smiles should be back or slowly coming back. The thread divisions are being worked on as well. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do much until this weekend as both r13 and I are a tight schedule until then.

A lot of the extra stuff we are going to get rid of; mainly things that don't really contribute like the post extras and junk like that.

I am also trying to figure out how to disable the jump to newest post as soon as possible. Mainly because it is driving me INSANE.

One thing that will not be turned back on is HTML. It's a security hole I am not going to open since these boards are being hosted on another server (not GSI) as a favor to us.

The board width being change by large pictures, I will try to fix, but I really don't want to jack with the formatting of the boards as much as possible. The best solution would be to get people to post smaller images and link out to larger ones, or see if I can get the lvlshot hack back in.

As I said at the beginning, r13 and I hope to get a lot of stuff done this weekend. So, just hang in there and keep posting suggestions. Most of these are really helpful.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it possible to import the old emoticons (except that bear type one wink.gif) that soern did all those years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Done by our own sorely missed "SchwimmelPuckel" frown.gif

or are you talking about even older ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dukester yes those are the one i meant, for some reason due to strange danish characters and my horrifically bad copy and pasting technique tongue.gifoly135: thomas sørensen aka schwimmelpuckel got horrifically abreviated. Ho hum shorry Tom frown.gif but great they are back, didnt know we had some earlier ones but we sure do have a lot of them now tongue.gifoly142:
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Spaces in usernames! I've never seen a board that doesn't allow spaces. My spaces are a part of me. frown.gif

Similarly, the sixteen character limit for display names makes me sad. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed ! I'm missing two spaces and a period, which would bring the length of my name to 17 characters.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The board width being change by large pictures, I will try to fix, but I really don't want to jack with the formatting of the boards as much as possible. The best solution would be to get people to post smaller images and link out to larger ones, or see if I can get the lvlshot hack back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would expect a board FULL of digital artists would know how to create and use THUMBNAILS. but i guess that has been proven wrong many times in the desktop threads.

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Load time seems very slow using the modem, and I haven't even been to P&P yet. I have a feeling this will get better once the extra fat is trimmed off the board. Just my bit of input.